Boot stuck on DRAM after installing new CPU

Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,

Well, you know everything else works. Points pretty solidly to a DOA cpu.

I bought a new CPU, the 5700X, to replace my old 1500X. Before the upgrade, I made sure to update the bios on my motherboard (GB Aorus Elite v2) to it's latest version, which is F65A. I upgraded the CPU and the boot got stuck on the DRAM led, indicating an issue with it.

I'm quite sure it wasn't doing any memory mapping or such, since i left it for almost 10 minutes and nothing happened. Same story for all possible combinations of sticks and slots.

When I put the old CPU back in, I booted to windows just fine.

Now, when troubleshooting I noticed the 5700X isn't listed in the "Supported CPUs" section on the Gigabyte website. But I think this must be a mistake, since all the other 5xxx CPUs are present, including the 5700.

Based on the fact that the computer is complaining about DRAM, and yet it boots just fine on the old chip, I think this might be a faulty memory controller. Could that be the case or did I really manage to pick the only incompatible 5xxx CPU for my mobo?

9 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

5700x is in the supported list since bios F61. https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=7516

Do a CMOS reset: 

unplug psu

hold power button for 10 seconds

short the reset pins for 10 seconds or hold the reset button if you have one

replug psu and boot

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, it didn't help, the system still gets stuck on the DRAM boot LED.

Well, you know everything else works. Points pretty solidly to a DOA cpu.