PC shutdown + fans going crazy + no temp problems

Xemosh
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
9 minutes ago, Xemosh said:

I just get these critical alerts. I don't think it is overdrawing. I don't have HWMonitor installed again after I reinstalled windows, but I seem to remember it drew around 350W-380W. I'm not entirely sure though

The overdrawing involves a couple millisecond spikes, something Igorslab did extensive testing on to show. It even included the RX 6800 XT which would sometimes draw 2x its max TDP for a few milliseconds. The GPU doesn't report it so you have to use oscilloscopes to detect it.

RTX 4000 series doesn't have those issues and the RTX 4090 as example has questionably too stable power draw characteristics in their testing. Its a relatively well reported issue though for RTX 3000 AD102 GPUs like the 3080, 3080ti, 3090, and higher end RX 6000 series cards like the RX 6800 XT.

So I'd recommend running the card at like 75% wattage and see if you still get the issue, otherwise you either have to go lower (if it lets you) or look at replacing your PSU.

image.thumb.png.10f1d72fa398ade8b4240317168cf95e.png

Can someone help me. I've been looking forward to this Diablo IV release for so long, and not being able to play it f***king sucks.

Whenever I play for a short duration my screen turns black (I assume it shuts down) but I hear some of my fans just go crazy. I can still hear the pc working, but nothing happens. The lights on my fans and stuff also flickers.

What I've tried so far:

- Cleaning the parts (I did a light cleaning of the PC a few months ago, so I highly doubt this is it. The temps are also not high when it crashes)

- Driver roll-back

- Pulling GPU PCI plugs out, cleaning them, and putting them back in.

- Turning graphics all the way down.

- Reinstalled windows

- Reinstalled graphics driver with DDU

- Updated BIOS with ASUS AI Suite

- Unplugging the second monitor

My specs:

- Asus X570-TUF Plus Gaming

- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU

- Corsair H100I Platinum RGB 240mm Water cooling

- DDR4-3600 Corsair 16GB RGB PRO Vengeance 2x

- Intel 665P 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (C drive)

- Asus GeForce® RTX 3080 10GB TUF

- Corsair iCUE 465X RGB VG-Edition

- Corsair RM750 750W 80+ Gold (Modular)

- Intel 665P 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD (D drive)

I also took this picture RIGHT before a shutdown, with both CPU and GPU temp and some additional (maybe useless?) information.

Video of the shutdown with the sound of the fans speeding up.

I have also posted this in a few subreddit, which I will link below, as I've tried a few of their suggestions already, without luck.
r/pcmasterrace
r/techsupport

I don't know about you, but I've read some gnarly posts on the Blizzard forums in regards tot atleast the 3080TI Diablo 4 Bricked my GIGABYTE 3080 TI - Technical Support - Diablo IV Forums (blizzard.com). Some people are posting the EXACT issue you're describing.

Please be careful. There is multiple reports of people having components dying (from SSD's to Graphics Cards). I am not saying Diablo is the cause. But it could be the trigger. Do the Windows Logs tell you anything?

31 minutes ago, Xemosh said:

Can someone help me. I've been looking forward to this Diablo IV release for so long, and not being able to play it f***king sucks.

Whenever I play for a short duration my screen turns black (I assume it shuts down) but I hear some of my fans just go crazy. I can still hear the pc working, but nothing happens. The lights on my fans and stuff also flickers.

What I've tried so far:

- Cleaning the parts (I did a light cleaning of the PC a few months ago, so I highly doubt this is it. The temps are also not high when it crashes)

- Driver roll-back

- Pulling GPU PCI plugs out, cleaning them, and putting them back in.

- Turning graphics all the way down.

- Reinstalled windows

- Reinstalled graphics driver with UDD

- Updated BIOS with ASUS AI Suite

- Unplugging the second monitor

My specs:

- Asus X570-TUF Plus Gaming

- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU

- Corsair H100I Platinum RGB 240mm Water cooling

- DDR4-3600 Corsair 16GB RGB PRO Vengeance 2x

- Intel 665P 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (C drive)

- Asus GeForce® RTX 3080 10GB TUF

- Corsair iCUE 465X RGB VG-Edition

- Corsair RM750 750W 80+ Gold (Modular)

- Intel 665P 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD (D drive)

I also took this picture RIGHT before a shutdown, with both CPU and GPU temp and some additional (maybe useless?) information.

Video of the shutdown with the sound of the fans speeding up.

I have also posted this in a few subreddit, which I will link below, as I've tried a few of their suggestions already, without luck.
r/pcmasterrace
r/techsupport

Do you get anything in Event Viewer of note other than a general hardware failure? Its possible your RTX 3080 is overdrawing that 750W and causing an OCP on the PSU.

Both RX 6000 and RTX 3000, specifically GA102 GPU variants like the RTX 3080 are notorious for drawing well over 100% TDP in short spikes that can trip OCP on the PSU.

A way you can potentially test for this is lowering the maximum TDP of your card from 100% to like 75% in a program like MSI Afterburner. If you stop getting the shutoffs, then its definitely something with the graphics card and/or power supply. The easiest fix would be to get a 1000W PSU.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Do you get anything in Event Viewer of note other than a general hardware failure? Its possible your RTX 3080 is overdrawing that 750W and causing an OCP on the PSU.

I just get these critical alerts. I don't think it is overdrawing. I don't have HWMonitor installed again after I reinstalled windows, but I seem to remember it drew around 350W-380W. I'm not entirely sure though

4 minutes ago, FrowningHippo said:

I don't know about you, but I've read some gnarly posts on the Blizzard forums in regards tot atleast the 3080TI Diablo 4 Bricked my GIGABYTE 3080 TI - Technical Support - Diablo IV Forums (blizzard.com). Some people are posting the EXACT issue you're describing.

Please be careful. There is multiple reports of people having components dying (from SSD's to Graphics Cards). I am not saying Diablo is the cause. But it could be the trigger. Do the Windows Logs tell you anything?

It happened in Minecraft as well before the diablo launch, so I don't think it's tied to that specific game. Not sure what logs to check, but some guy on reddit told me to find "critical alerts" and I only got this

Just now, Xemosh said:

It happened in Minecraft as well before the diablo launch, so I don't think it's tied to that specific game. Not sure what logs to check, but some guy on reddit told me to find "critical alerts" and I only got this

You should also look at warnings and faults right before the crash. The critical alert you show is literally showing up because you have to force reboot the PC by turning off the power.

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Is it the GPU fans that are going full speed?

I think so. I've seen a couple of old reports of the gpu fans going 100% and I've tried their solutions. But I assume it's the gpu fans. Not that easy to tell

9 minutes ago, Xemosh said:

The overdrawing involves a couple millisecond spikes, something Igorslab did extensive testing on to show. It even included the RX 6800 XT which would sometimes draw 2x its max TDP for a few milliseconds. The GPU doesn't report it so you have to use oscilloscopes to detect it.

RTX 4000 series doesn't have those issues and the RTX 4090 as example has questionably too stable power draw characteristics in their testing. Its a relatively well reported issue though for RTX 3000 AD102 GPUs like the 3080, 3080ti, 3090, and higher end RX 6000 series cards like the RX 6800 XT.

So I'd recommend running the card at like 75% wattage and see if you still get the issue, otherwise you either have to go lower (if it lets you) or look at replacing your PSU.

image.thumb.png.10f1d72fa398ade8b4240317168cf95e.png

5 minutes ago, FrowningHippo said:

You should also look at warnings and faults right before the crash. The critical alert you show is literally showing up because you have to force reboot the PC by turning off the power.

Not sure what to look for. There's quite a few logs

6 minutes ago, FrowningHippo said:

Bad news, that's a classic failure and there is no fix without RMA. You can try to limit the games framerate so it doesn't use so much power in the menu using NVCP. GPU fans going full blast is the classic failure mode. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

Would it do anything to my card (other than performance) reducing the wattage? If I have to replace the PSU, would the replacement be 1kW then?

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Bad news, that's a classic failure and there is no fix without RMA. You can try to limit the games framerate so it doesn't use so much power in the menu using NVCP. GPU fans going full blast is the classic failure mode. Good luck.

I reduced the graphics setting to low, wouldn't that give the same the result as reducing the frame rate? And what kind of failure? GPU busted? or PSU issues as mentioned by another user?

2 minutes ago, Xemosh said:

Would it do anything to my card (other than performance) reducing the wattage? If I have to replace the PSU, would the replacement be 1kW then?

You'll get lower performance, its just limiting the power draw of the card, but if it solves the issue, its a $0 troubleshooting step and $0 solution. It would give reason to upgrade your PSU as well, which aren't terribly expensive at the 1000W level anymore.

Lowering settings or limiting framerate are simply other ways to do it, lowering the TDP is just a more deterministic way of isolating variables.

You'll get lower performance, its just limiting the power draw of the card, but if it solves the issue, its a $0 troubleshooting step and $0 solution. It would give reason to upgrade your PSU as well, which aren't terribly expensive at the 1000W level anymore.

Lowering settings or limiting framerate are simply other ways to do it, lowering the TDP is just a more deterministic way of isolating variables.

So 75% power, if that doesn't work it's 50%, and if that doesn't work I should definetly get a new PSU?

4 minutes ago, Xemosh said:

I reduced the graphics setting to low, wouldn't that give the same the result as reducing the frame rate? And what kind of failure? GPU busted? or PSU issues as mentioned by another user?

No, you'll want to hard limit the framerate. Look up the New World failures, similar to the Diablo 4 failures from one of the beta's. PC appears to shut off but screens go black and the GPU fan to 100%. Faulty GPU's that needed to be replaced. 

If your PSU was the problem and tripping a protection circuit the PC would fully shut off, no fans. You'd also have to flip the power switch on it to get it to turn back on. 

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

No, you'll want to hard limit the framerate. Look up the New World failures, similar to the Diablo 4 failures from one of the beta's. PC appears to shut off but screens go black and the GPU fan to 100%. Faulty GPU's that needed to be replaced. 

If your PSU was the problem and tripping a protection circuit the PC would fully shut off, no fans. You'd also have to flip the power switch on it to get it to turn back on. 

What would the fix be, if I limit the framerate and it works? And what should I limit it to? 60?

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

@Xemosh If the issue has only ever happened with Diablo 4, then I would just disable DLSS and/or limit framerate to reduce the GPU's draw. Otherwise if its happened in other titles as well, then I'd look into a better PSU.

D4 will run 4K max settings, unlocked framerate and no DLSS at +240 fps (on my system that is), so its a pretty well optimized game (so far) especially in comparison to Diablo 3. Got to level 33 last night myself and did 2x lvl 25, 1x lvl 20 on the open betas.

6 minutes ago, Agall said:

@Xemosh If the issue has only ever happened with Diablo 4, then I would just disable DLSS and/or limit framerate to reduce the GPU's draw. Otherwise if its happened in other titles as well, then I'd look into a better PSU.

D4 will run 4K max settings, unlocked framerate and no DLSS at +240 fps, so its a pretty well optimized game (so far) especially in comparison to Diablo 3.

I tried with the lowest settings, and i think that disables DLSS. I also played in the two betas with no issues at all. Got all classes to lvl 25 in the first beta, and a necro to lvl 20 in the server slam

And as mentioned earliere, this has also happened in minecraft. A little side note to that though. It crashed when I had shaders enabled, but after a reinstall of minecraft, it didn't crash. I also played other games without crashes. But minecraft with shaders and diablo 4 kills it

This should limit my gpu draw, right?

6 minutes ago, Xemosh said:

I tried with the lowest settings, and i think that disables DLSS. I also played in the two betas with no issues at all.

And as mentioned earliere, this has also happened in minecraft. A little side note to that though. It crashed when I had shaders enabled, but after a reinstall of minecraft, it didn't crash. I also played other games without crashes. But minecraft with shaders and diablo 4 kills it

This should limit my gpu draw, right?

Yup, I'd test that to as low as it can go if 75% TDP doesn't fix it. If that does prevent crashing, then I'd recommend looking at buying a 1000W to give yourself a lot of headroom. They've gotten very affordable and abundant in the last few years compared to about a decade ago when I bought my first 1KW PSU.

Yup, I'd test that to as low as it can go if 75% TDP doesn't fix it. If that does prevent crashing, then I'd recommend looking at buying a 1000W to give yourself a lot of headroom. They've gotten very affordable and abundant in the last few years compared to about a decade ago when I bought my first 1KW PSU.

I was able to play for an hour when I woke up today, so testing might take a while 😕

3 minutes ago, Xemosh said:

I was able to play for an hour when I woke up today, so testing might take a while 😕

If simply lowering the TDP doesn't fix it in D4, then I'd try both lower TDP and lower settings and limiting framerate to like 60 fps. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd say its most likely a software issue since your RTX 3080 would probably be only drawing 200W at its worst spiking at that point, so well below any potential limit in my opinion.

If that does resolve the issue and you don't want to replace your power supply for various reasons, then you can potentially fix it by adjusting Diablo 4's specific 3D settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Adjusting lets say the power management settings to prefer efficiency as an example.

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

If simply lowering the TDP doesn't fix it in D4, then I'd try both lower TDP and lower settings and limiting framerate to like 60 fps. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd say its most likely a software issue since your RTX 3080 would probably be only drawing 200W at its worst spiking at that point, so well below any potential limit in my opinion.

I'm currently trying 75% power, quality preset: low, and 60 fps limit. Not sure how long I should keep going to test if that works though

And what could the software issue be? I did a clean wipe of the pc yesterday and reinstalled both battle.net and diablo

Every single time this scenario comes up. I mean EVERY time, its a dead/dying GPU. Specifically something in the power stage. Same symptoms, PC goes black but doesn't turn off and the GPU fans go full blast. Countless times I've seen this. Can happen at random but always under load and some games are much more susceptible. 

The PSU in this instance clearly isn't tripping a protection circuit and shutting the PC completely off. 

2 minutes ago, Xemosh said:

I'm currently trying 75% power, quality preset: low, and 60 fps limit. Not sure how long I should keep going to test if that works though

And what could the software issue be? I did a clean wipe of the pc yesterday and reinstalled both battle.net and diablo

That would make a software issue even less likely, so at that point (assuming its not my initial theory) then I'd just suspect Diablo 4 itself just disagreeing with your hardware configuration. That's an unlikely scenario, but we'd be grasping at straws at that point given the variables already tested.