Trouble with AIO not working properly(?) / CPU overheating

Sanne
Go to solution Solved by Sanne,

Update: I contacted the store I bought the AIO from again, and they replaced the whole unit this time instead of just the part that was assumed to be broken. I got the replacement in today and my computer is finally working again. Still not 100% sure what the issue was, but super happy to have it working again! 

I recently build my first pc (specs included at the bottom of this post), and after using it for about a month I started having issues with the cooler. The issue showed up after I went back into the system to add 3 extra case fans, it all seemed good, until I closed the side panels and my computer started flashed red and giving me errors when I turned it back on. 

I get a "Fan speed detection error", going into the bios I can quickly see my cpu temps rise to 90 degrees Celsius before the system will shut off. Both my fans that are connected through the commander core that came with the AIO as the pump show up as N/A in the bios. The icon on the LCD seems to indicate a pump failure. The coolant temps will eventually go up as well, I've seen it around 40-50 degrees. The case fans that show up as N/A in the bios are actually working though, the pump not showing up is the one that worries me), startup is a bit slow.. and a few fans do take a moment longer to kick in properly. 

When this issue first showed up, I rma'ed it and I got a replacement unit in today (the old unit also had an issue with not displaying temps correctly, which the new one did fix). I had hoped that'd be the end of it, but I still have the same problem. Which has left me even more confused, I find it hard to believe the replacement unit also has a defect pump. I did notice some damage on the radiator fins of the replacement unit, quite a few were bend out of place, though I don't expect that to be the source considering I've had the same problem with two different units now.

What I have already tried:

- Checking all the connections (power the pc off, turn the power supply off, reconnect all the cables carefully, making sure they're plugged into the right place, then powering the system on again after a moment). 
- Tried removing the fans and lightning node I added when things broke, no difference. 

- The 20-pin connector that gives the pump power was loose when I first started having issues, though reinserting it properly didn't make a difference. Which makes me wonder if a defect in the commander core could be the cause instead of the AOI(?)
- I tried plugging in a regular case fan in the cpu_fan header just to see if the header was working, which is did. 

- BIOS has been updated about a month ago, and the cooler did run properly on that BIOS version. I'm a little worried about trying to update if there's a newer version, considering the pc wouldn't stay on long enough to actually update..

I'm very new at pc building, and while I've done my research this issue has me absolutely stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated a lot! 

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte AERO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Case Fan: Corsair iCUE AF120 RGB ELITE 65.57 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack (x2)

My first thought is one of those new fans might be bad.  Checking the flow of the cooler probably also wouldn’t hurt.  If the water is warm on one side but cold on another there’s a problem with water movement.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My first thought is one of those new fans might be bad.  Checking the flow of the cooler probably also wouldn’t hurt.  If the water is warm on one side but cold on another there’s a problem with water movement.

I tried running the system again without the new fans installed, since that's the only thing that changed when the system stopped working I thought it might have to do with the fans too at first, unfortunately disconnecting the new ones doesn't make a difference. 

As for the flow, I didn't notice the temps differing between sides (though I just used my hand to feel if there was a difference in the tubes). What I did notice that even when the liquid temps goes up to 40+ (which is what the LCD displayed just before going into the error when I tried to start it up a second time)) I don't feel any heat coming from the radiator. Could that also indicate an issue in the flow? 

Plug the pump directly into the pump header or cpu header on the board. You don’t need fans on the radiator to even run to keep temp down for a couple minutes with just the pump running (coolant temp rises pretty slow). That will tell you if it’s the commander core that’s the problem.

Update: I contacted the store I bought the AIO from again, and they replaced the whole unit this time instead of just the part that was assumed to be broken. I got the replacement in today and my computer is finally working again. Still not 100% sure what the issue was, but super happy to have it working again! 

36 minutes ago, Sanne said:

Usually pump just dies. 

GPU : RTX 3070 Gaming X TRIO | CPU : Ryzen 5 7600 \ COOLER : Deepcool AK620 | MOBO : ASUS TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 16GBx2 6200 MHz \ Storage : Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB \ PSU : Corsair TX750M | CASE : Be Quite! Pure Base 500DX Black

Sometimes there is buildup inside the unit that clogs it up. Glad this got fixed.