Advice in setting up XMP - DDR5 new system

chacha1988
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
7 hours ago, chacha1988 said:

Thank you, I shop on a french website called Top Achat : https://www.topachat.com/accueil/index.php

Could also look on amazon.fr .. if french language doesn't scare you 🙂

I'd greatly appreciate the help

I've used this exact kit, it's pretty good:

https://www.topachat.com/pages/detail2_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_wme_ddr5_puis_ref_est_in20014737.html

This would also work:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0B2S8SB3C?tag=pcp09-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0B2TCR7YP?tag=pcp09-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0BFG9VTKL?tag=pcp09-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

The Flare X5 kit is preferred as it would be EXPO and that does have a tendency to work better with AMD, though if you want to save the ~$10 and get the Ripjaws kit I wouldn't blame you. 

Hello everyone,

I recently assembled my new pc as it was long past due. I wasn't able however to setup as I wanted the XMP profile. Here are the specs :

ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI

Ryzen 7 7800X3D

DDR5 Corsair Vengeance - 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) 5600 MHz - CAS 36

I managed to get it up and running at 5200mhz but a week later it simply wouldn't boot up anymore so I had to completely remove XMP.

I was wondering if you could advise me on how to possibly reach the 5600 and more importantly, this is a gaming pc. So, will activating XMP really provide a surplus of gaming performance or would it just be better to leave it and fully turn XMP off?

Thank you for your time

3 minutes ago, chacha1988 said:

Hello everyone,

I recently assembled my new pc as it was long past due. I wasn't able however to setup as I wanted the XMP profile. Here are the specs :

ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI

Ryzen 7 7800X3D

DDR5 Corsair Vengeance - 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) 5600 MHz - CAS 36

I managed to get it up and running at 5200mhz but a week later it simply wouldn't boot up anymore so I had to completely remove XMP.

I was wondering if you could advise me on how to possibly reach the 5600 and more importantly, this is a gaming pc. So, will activating XMP really provide a surplus of gaming performance or would it just be better to leave it and fully turn XMP off?

Thank you for your time

Lol u blew them up.

4 minutes ago, Chree said:

Lol u blew them up.

Could you elaborate? The pc runs fine without XMP.

So first things first, make sure you're on the latest BIOS:

Anyway, for how to get XMP to work, you want to manually set it and not actually use XMP. Set the SOC voltage to 1.2V, the DRAM VDD/VDDQ/VDDIO voltages to 1.25V, the DRAM frequency to 5600, and the timings to 36-36-36-76. Hopefully it should just boot up at that point and work. 

22 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

So first things first, make sure you're on the latest BIOS:

Anyway, for how to get XMP to work, you want to manually set it and not actually use XMP. Set the SOC voltage to 1.2V, the DRAM VDD/VDDQ/VDDIO voltages to 1.25V, the DRAM frequency to 5600, and the timings to 36-36-36-76. Hopefully it should just boot up at that point and work. 

Hello and thank you.

I should have indeed mentioned that I did ensure to have the latest bios from Asus : v1416

I did the following :

Soc Voltage : Manual to 1.2

DRAM VDDQ and IO set to manual and 1.25

I couldn't find DRAM VDD

Frequency set to 5600

Primary timings to 36-36-36-76 (i didn't touch secondary)

The Pc didn't want to boot up and the MB showed an error code : 0D

2 minutes ago, chacha1988 said:

Hello and thank you.

I should have indeed mentioned that I did ensure to have the latest bios from Asus : v1416

I did the following :

Soc Voltage : Manual to 1.2

DRAM VDDQ and IO set to manual and 1.25

I couldn't find DRAM VDD

Frequency set to 5600

Primary timings to 36-36-36-76 (i didn't touch secondary)

The Pc didn't want to boot up and the MB showed an error code : 0D

That should just work. Weird. As for why you didn't find DRAM VDD, I'm pretty sure ASUS by default has a setting that forces them to be the same value, so that's probably what was happening. 

Can you make sure the RAM is in the right DIMM slots? You should be using slot 2 and 4 if you're counting from the CPU. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That should just work. Weird. As for why you didn't find DRAM VDD, I'm pretty sure ASUS by default has a setting that forces them to be the same value, so that's probably what was happening. 

Can you make sure the RAM is in the right DIMM slots? You should be using slot 2 and 4 if you're counting from the CPU. 

I confirm, they are on A2-B2. 🫤

14 minutes ago, chacha1988 said:

I confirm, they are on A2-B2. 🫤

Weird. It giving the 0D error usually means that it's really upset, which at just 5600 shouldn't be the case. Can you maybe try manually setting the FCLK to 2000MHz to see if for whatever reason the board is trying to automatically set it to 2.8GHz similar to Ryzen 5000 style? 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Weird. It giving the 0D error usually means that it's really upset, which at just 5600 shouldn't be the case. Can you maybe try manually setting the FCLK to 2000MHz to see if for whatever reason the board is trying to automatically set it to 2.8GHz similar to Ryzen 5000 style? 

Hello,

I tried again but this time also took screenshots as perhaps I'm not putting the numbers in the right places...

For your information I get the same error code.

IMG_8051.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

Set the timings to 40-40-40-77. See if it likes that better. RAM can be weird. Could be the sticks are just not going to run their spec with your particular setup. If that is the case, you can go for a return/replace. 

I would try a different brand like g.skill if you can return your current sticks. Lots of problems with Corsair vengeance on ryzen aetups. Just google Corsair ram ryzen problems and behold the avalanche of issues.

2 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

Set the timings to 40-40-40-77. See if it likes that better. RAM can be weird. Could be the sticks are just not going to run their spec with your particular setup. If that is the case, you can go for a return/replace. 

I would try a different brand like g.skill if you can return your current sticks. Lots of problems with Corsair vengeance on ryzen aetups. Just google Corsair ram ryzen problems and behold the avalanche of issues.

Sadly I'm facing the same code when doing it with these timings as well. Did I do things correctly when looking at the screens? I'm thinking it's more plausible the issue comes from my inputs rather than with the hardware itself?

By the way, something I hadn't considered before but remembered : the XMP worked well before I installed my new GPU. Can XMP be affected by GPU? 

Do you have the old gpu still to see if it would fix things? Stranger things have happened.

5 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Do you have the old gpu still to see if it would fix things? Stranger things have happened.

Sadly no. I built the PC without a GPU, and activated XMP using as graphics the integrated graphics of the X3D. 

I bought a 7900 XTX to add to my system as its main GPU.

9 hours ago, chacha1988 said:

Hello,

I tried again but this time also took screenshots as perhaps I'm not putting the numbers in the right places...

For your information I get the same error code.

IMG_8051.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

All those settings are correct, it should be working right now. No idea why it's not. The only things I can think of possibly doing this are this:

1. The DIMMs aren't quite seated right. DDR5 is a bit picky with mounting pressure, so not having the right mounting pressure can limit your max memory speed. That said, the differences in mounting pressure don't start becoming apparent until 7200+ in my experience, so so where near where you'd get on AMD. It's worth a shot, but I don't expect much for this. 
  2. The BIOS is broken. From what I've seen, these latest BIOSes from ASUS have had pretty bad memory overclocking support. That said, I've never seen 5600 not work, so it really seems like something is wrong there. 
  3. The memory kit is bad and not capable of DDR5 5600. If you go to reseat the memory, could you maybe get a photo of the label on the memory sticks and/or just post the version number on here (it'll probably be ver. 4.43.02, though theoretically could also be 5.43.13, 5.43.01, or 3.43.07). 

None of those are all that likely. That said, if you want to try a longshot, I do have an idea. It's possible that the 5600MT/s memory ratio is just broken for whatever reason, so you might actually get better results at DDR5 6000. Try changing the DRAM ratio to 6000, the timings to 38-38-38-76, the SOC voltage to 1.25V, and the DRAM voltages to 1.3V. As long as your RAM isn't super terrible, that should just work (everything but Micron G die can do 6000MT/s with ease), plus it'll give you a small little performance bump. You might get stuck with the 0D POST code again though, in which case I'd try contacting Corsair about getting a new kit. 

30 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

All those settings are correct, it should be working right now. No idea why it's not. The only things I can think of possibly doing this are this:

1. The DIMMs aren't quite seated right. DDR5 is a bit picky with mounting pressure, so not having the right mounting pressure can limit your max memory speed. That said, the differences in mounting pressure don't start becoming apparent until 7200+ in my experience, so so where near where you'd get on AMD. It's worth a shot, but I don't expect much for this. 
  2. The BIOS is broken. From what I've seen, these latest BIOSes from ASUS have had pretty bad memory overclocking support. That said, I've never seen 5600 not work, so it really seems like something is wrong there. 
  3. The memory kit is bad and not capable of DDR5 5600. If you go to reseat the memory, could you maybe get a photo of the label on the memory sticks and/or just post the version number on here (it'll probably be ver. 4.43.02, though theoretically could also be 5.43.13, 5.43.01, or 3.43.07). 

None of those are all that likely. That said, if you want to try a longshot, I do have an idea. It's possible that the 5600MT/s memory ratio is just broken for whatever reason, so you might actually get better results at DDR5 6000. Try changing the DRAM ratio to 6000, the timings to 38-38-38-76, the SOC voltage to 1.25V, and the DRAM voltages to 1.3V. As long as your RAM isn't super terrible, that should just work (everything but Micron G die can do 6000MT/s with ease), plus it'll give you a small little performance bump. You might get stuck with the 0D POST code again though, in which case I'd try contacting Corsair about getting a new kit. 

Well... I think I found what was the issue after you told me to reseat the RAM... 

See the photos attached... how can this happen?

on a side note, also the version.

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

IMG_8061.jpg

10 minutes ago, chacha1988 said:

See the photos attached... how can this happen?

No idea. It does look more cosmetic than anything, but the photo isn't high res enough to see if maybe a capacitor or two came off. That would make the sticks unable to boot high speeds. 

Don't know if Corsair would honor your RMA request if that came into the shop. Might be worth a try though. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

No idea. It does look more cosmetic than anything, but the photo isn't high res enough to see if maybe a capacitor or two came off. That would make the sticks unable to boot high speeds. 

Don't know if Corsair would honor your RMA request if that came into the shop. Might be worth a try though. 

I'll get new rams just in case tomorrow. I have my eyes on :

G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO Series (AMD Expo) 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) 288 broches SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL36-36-36-96

I anyway don't feel comfortable leaving those corsairs in that state in that brand new system... I'll let you know what happens with the new ram..

3 minutes ago, chacha1988 said:

G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO Series (AMD Expo) 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) 288 broches SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL36-36-36-96

Try seeing if you can get the CL30 or CL32 version of that kit, those usually have slightly better compatibility and are within $10 price wise. Performance wise it doesn't make a huge difference (especially on an X3D chip), but it is technically the better kit. 

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Try seeing if you can get the CL30 or CL32 version of that kit, those usually have slightly better compatibility and are within $10 price wise. Performance wise it doesn't make a huge difference (especially on an X3D chip), but it is technically the better kit. 

I haven't bought anything yet. I was thinking those or ripjaws but do you recommend anything better or more trustworthy?

The Corsair I bought a week ago... I sure hope they'll honor it but yeah nothing is ever guaranteed...

9 minutes ago, chacha1988 said:

I was thinking those or ripjaws but do you recommend anything better or more trustworthy?

The kit I've got is Flare X5, and most of the DDR5 I've worked with has been Flare X5. Not necessarily because I think it's the best stuff out there, more because it was the cheapest I could get at the time of purchase, but it's been pretty reliable, and the good bins have been pretty good (the one kit I've got can run benchmarks at DDR5 8400+ CL36, and I'm pretty sure that's just a limitation of my board/CPU). 

Realistically, all of G.Skill's memory will be the same PCB, just slightly different heatspreaders, so don't think getting a Trident Z5 kit is necessarily better than a Ripjaws kit for quality, it'll just run 1-2C cooler. I'd be fine with most of the other memory manufacturers as well, Patriot, ADATA, Kingston, Silicon Power, etc., so more shop based on price than thinking one is definitely better than another. My best kit of DDR4 for instance is a kit of ADATA 3600 CL17-18-18, it can do 4800MT/s CL15 if you throw enough voltage at it and just works on any board I throw it on. 

Where are you shopping for RAM? I could try to help find a new kit that makes sense if you want me to. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The kit I've got is Flare X5, and most of the DDR5 I've worked with has been Flare X5. Not necessarily because I think it's the best stuff out there, more because it was the cheapest I could get at the time of purchase, but it's been pretty reliable, and the good bins have been pretty good (the one kit I've got can run benchmarks at DDR5 8400+ CL36, and I'm pretty sure that's just a limitation of my board/CPU). 

Realistically, all of G.Skill's memory will be the same PCB, just slightly different heatspreaders, so don't think getting a Trident Z5 kit is necessarily better than a Ripjaws kit for quality, it'll just run 1-2C cooler. I'd be fine with most of the other memory manufacturers as well, Patriot, ADATA, Kingston, Silicon Power, etc., so more shop based on price than thinking one is definitely better than another. My best kit of DDR4 for instance is a kit of ADATA 3600 CL17-18-18, it can do 4800MT/s CL15 if you throw enough voltage at it and just works on any board I throw it on. 

Where are you shopping for RAM? I could try to help find a new kit that makes sense if you want me to. 

Thank you, I shop on a french website called Top Achat : https://www.topachat.com/accueil/index.php

7 hours ago, chacha1988 said:

https://www.topachat.com/pages/detail2_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_wme_ddr5_puis_ref_est_in20014737.html

This would also work:

The Flare X5 kit is preferred as it would be EXPO and that does have a tendency to work better with AMD, though if you want to save the ~$10 and get the Ripjaws kit I wouldn't blame you. 

On 6/2/2023 at 4:39 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

This would also work:

Hey there!

First of all thank you very much!! I'll go for the Flare X5 🙂 I'll definitely and most probably come back here if I encounter the same issue with the XMP.

On a side note, I tried to contact the seller of the Corsair and he said that cosmetic issues aren't reimbursed or exchanged. I did a memtest and no issue was encountered but I feel reluctant about anyway keeping them as XMP suddently started to stop working as soon as this happened. I don't know.. also strange to pay for something and if there is a flaw even if only estetically I'm confused as to why they wouldn't change them.

5 minutes ago, chacha1988 said:

I don't know.. also strange to pay for something and if there is a flaw even if only estetically I'm confused as to why they wouldn't change them.

It would be one thing if they were used and they said that, but if they're brand new that just doesn't sound right. They really should exchange them.

Anyway, good luck with your new kits, hopefully it just works.