Installing Windows to an NVMe SSD in an old HP

morn14150

Hi guys, so lately I’m trying to switch from a SATA ssd to an NVMe one, it requires an adapter (pcie x16 to nvme expansion card) but I couldn’t install since Windows didn’t detect the drive. I tried to use a NEW 32gb flash drive to use as a bootloader (clover). And this time it doesn’t boot to the windows installation. Can someone help?

Also I have:

Hitachi 640GB HDD with Windows Installer inside

Kingston DTX 32GB with Clover inside.

And a H87 Motherboard, with no M.2 slot.

Best way I've found is using DUET. You can find everything you need right here.

Works great on my X58 system, you'll need to have a sacrificial USB key plugged in all the time, I just got a little tiny one that you can't even see and leave it plugged in the back. 

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

3 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

Works great on my X58 system, you'll need to have a sacrificial USB key plugged in all the time, I just got a little tiny one that you can't even see and leave it plugged in the back. 

I’m ok with sacrificing a usb drive but can you use a hard drive partition as a replacement to the usb tho

4 hours ago, morn14150 said:

I’m ok with sacrificing a usb drive but can you use a hard drive partition as a replacement to the usb tho

Honestly not sure but I imagine you could, I haven't tried it that way yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

On 6/1/2023 at 1:11 PM, ApolloX75 said:

also unfortunately I tried both clover and rEFInd, it still wouldn’t detect my nvme drive, I went as far as changing my storage option to IDE (according to whatever video on YouTube), and it still will not work.

At this point I think it’s probably my fault or something, maybe I’m doing it the wrong way, how do I set up windows in the nvme drive in the first place?

Also I put the nvme drive in the mini PCIE slot, not the regular pcie x16, cus that’s for my gpu and there’s only one pcie x16 slot