New router suggestions

Xuron93

Hey everyone,

im currently on the search for a new cablerouter.

My current one is from my provider and is generally pretty terrible, cause its very cheap and doesnt provide any proper configuration options.

It would need to be a router that is connected via cable, has decent wifi-range (10-15 meters should be enough, my current one cant do that) 

and i would like to have the options to configure something like a personal blacklist for websites/ads etc.

Is there any option besides a "FritzBox" that is maybe a bit cheaper?

I rather not spend 250€ on a router. 

If anyone got a suggestion i would gladly hear it!

Best regards

Xuron

1 hour ago, Xuron93 said:

Hey everyone,

im currently on the search for a new cablerouter.

My current one is from my provider and is generally pretty terrible, cause its very cheap and doesnt provide any proper configuration options.

It would need to be a router that is connected via cable, has decent wifi-range (10-15 meters should be enough, my current one cant do that) 

and i would like to have the options to configure something like a personal blacklist for websites/ads etc.

I rather not spend 250€ on a router. 

If anyone got a suggestion i would gladly hear it!

Best regards

Xuron

Sometimes it’s just best to use the same model of device the isp normally rents out.  Just for compatibility.  Also don’t rent one if you can possibly avoid it though. It’s a ripoff If you use it for more than a few months.  You’ll be paying more than that $250. One option, especially if you don’t have a choice is the simplest thing available which would be a cable modem, and then hook the things you want to that.  There’s no speed loss and you get the option to make better choices.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 hours ago, Xuron93 said:

In the US we have a plethora of options mostly due to the rules set by the FCC to allow customer owned equipment. First thing you need to do is see if the provider allows customer owned stuff. 

Second thing is what you buy depends on what speeds you want to support. Thirdly you need to figure out if you want an all in one or a separate modem and router. I suggest separate because the all in ones tend to suck. 

Now if your provider doesn't allow customer owned equipment then you can see if the box supports bridge mode. This allows you to turn it in to just a standard cable modem and you can use what ever router you wont. If they don't support that, then the other option is to disable the WiFi and buy a wireless Access point in the wireless portion is the only issue. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.