HDD not being detected in BIOS after PSU and motherboard Upgrade.

LordDrage

Hi there, I'm in need of a issue I can't seem to fix. My hard drive was recently working fine with no issue whatsoever in my first build before I upgraded and then afterwards,it does not detect in my BIOS at all. All of my other drives were able to show up with no issue and I'm hoping my hard drive did not end up dying from the result of the build. I upgraded from a Asrock b560 steel legend motherboard with a non-modular 600 evga watt psu to a modular 1000 watt corsair Asrock z790 PG lightning motherboard. I've tried different sata cables, different ports on the motherboard itself and tried changing any storage settings in the bios to possibly get it to appear. Sadly, nothing has worked and it's giving me the sad reality that it's probably dead. Please, if anyone could give me some sort of advice on what I can do, i would be greatly appreciated.

Could you confirm for me that the ports are all plugged in? The power and the SATA ports, follow them both to either end and ensure they are indeed powered and lined into the motherboard.

Its fairly uncommon for an HDD to die from this, how ever, i have seen people what the little tab on the plug is broken, so that the Sata and or power cable can be plugged in upside down.

I would confirm that everything is correctly plugged in.

Can you hear if the platters are spinning up when you turn on the pc?

Desktop AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 - G. Skill Ripjaws 32gb 3200mhz CL16 - Palit RTX 3080ti - Custom loop for CPU
SimRig  AMD Ryzen 5 5800x3D - Aorus X570 Elite - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb 3600Mhz CL18 - Gainward Phantom 4090 - Custom loop for CPU
Livingroom Intel Xeon E5-2667v3 - Asus X99-AII - Corsair Vengeance 48gb 3200mhz CL18 - PNY 3090 XLR8 - Custom loop for CPU

6 minutes ago, Tone._ said:

Could you confirm for me that the ports are all plugged in? The power and the SATA ports, follow them both to either end and ensure they are indeed powered and lined into the motherboard.

I can confirm they are, I have no idea why it's not working. All the other drives work with no problem, but this hard drive does not.

5 minutes ago, TheSign said:

Its fairly uncommon for an HDD to die from this, how ever, i have seen people what the little tab on the plug is broken, so that the Sata and or power cable can be plugged in upside down.

I would confirm that everything is correctly plugged in.

Can you hear if the platters are spinning up when you turn on the pc?

Everything is plugged in. When I do start my PC, all I hear is a gush of wind and that's about it. No spinning or noise from it at all after that.

7 minutes ago, LordDrage said:

Everything is plugged in. When I do start my PC, all I hear is a gush of wind and that's about it. No spinning or noise from it at all after that.

Seems to be getting power.

I would try this in a different system.

Desktop AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 - G. Skill Ripjaws 32gb 3200mhz CL16 - Palit RTX 3080ti - Custom loop for CPU
SimRig  AMD Ryzen 5 5800x3D - Aorus X570 Elite - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb 3600Mhz CL18 - Gainward Phantom 4090 - Custom loop for CPU
Livingroom Intel Xeon E5-2667v3 - Asus X99-AII - Corsair Vengeance 48gb 3200mhz CL18 - PNY 3090 XLR8 - Custom loop for CPU

Just now, TheSign said:

So it seems to have power, faulty SATA cable? Broken port? Tried different sata ports?

Mhm, I've tried different sata cables and different sata ports and none of them work at all. However, when used with the other drives, they all work just fine. Could it possibly be my PSU?

14 minutes ago, TheSign said:

Seems to be getting power.

I would try this in a different system.

Alright, i'll try this in my previous system and see if anything happens.

2 minutes ago, LordDrage said:

Alright, i'll try this in my previous system and see if anything happens.

This is a good idea, if it works on the old system, then you can move on with troubleshooting on the new system. If it doesnt, then it seems you might be unlucky.

36 minutes ago, TheSign said:

This is a good idea, if it works on the old system, then you can move on with troubleshooting on the new system. If it doesnt, then it seems you might be unlucky.

Damn, I went back to my old system and still nothing. Oh god, please tell me it's not dead. All from upgrading the system.

What are the model names for the drive and the psu in question? How old is the drive?

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

The current PSU i'm using is the Cosair RM1000e and the model name for the drive is a Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 and it's about 5 years old. I got it back in 2018 with a Dell Optiplex. My OLD PSU was an evga 600 watt bronze model and my old board was a b560 steel legend. My current motherboard is a z790 lightning PG.