Sharing my experience of building a budget NAS

I have an existing NAS bought from QNAP. Although I'm very satisfied with the out of box experience a commercial NAS provide, a two-bay-system such as mine inevitably limits my storage capacity. After the 200th movie downloaded, it was clear that expending my storage system is needed.

Since I didn't want to change my existing setup and only wanted someway to expand my movie folder, my new NAS system's requirement is more focused on aesthetics:

• At least provide an upload speed over 200MBytes
  • At least 4 drives
  • Less than 350mm in depth and 210mm in height to fit in my shell.
  • Quiet

I first tried a SY-N3160 motherboard. Although its super cheap (about 15$ include shipping) and power-efficient, it didn't support my LSI raid card. Since a raid card will enable me to use super cheap used SAS drives, I have no choice but to look for a compatible motherboard. After searching, I found that Asus motherboard provides compatibility report and H310M-D D3 motherboard is compatible with LSI raid card. So my final build is:

• CPU: used i3-6100t, 12$
  • Motherboard: used H310M-D D3, 16$
  • Cooler: used Cooler Master 2U active cooler without the fan (due to noise), 5$
  • System drive: Kingston 64G USB, 3$
  • LSI card: used LSI 9217-8i, 8$
  • Power supply: Super-flower Bronze King 450W, 38$
  • HDD drives: used SAS 6T drives, 40*4$
  • Case: non-branded 4U short case K430FB (482*350*178mm), 25$

I was a little bit worried about my CPU temperature since I removed the CPU cooling fan. However, after built, the little air flow created by power supply intake fan is able to control my CPU temperature under 66 degree under heavy load and 45 degree under light load. Since I don't expect my CPU to run any sustained load, I believe this is more than sufficient. And I also strongly recommend using 4U short case instead of NAS case. My case is not only cheaper than similar cases such as SilverStone CS381 or CS380, but also ridiculously rigid. The steel must be at least 0.8mm thick, I even needed a hammer to remove PCIe slot cover.

Finally, my case's final look:

webwxgetmsgimg.jpeg

1 hour ago, This user isnot blocked said:

I have an existing NAS bought from QNAP. Although I'm very satisfied with the out of box experience a commercial NAS provide, a two-bay-system such as mine inevitably limits my storage capacity. After the 200th movie downloaded, it was clear that expending my storage system is needed.

Since I didn't want to change my existing setup and only wanted someway to expand my movie folder, my new NAS system's requirement is more focused on aesthetics:

• At least provide an upload speed over 200MBytes
  • At least 4 drives
  • Less than 350mm in depth and 210mm in height to fit in my shell.
  • Quiet

I first tried a SY-N3160 motherboard. Although its super cheap (about 15$ include shipping) and power-efficient, it didn't support my LSI raid card. Since a raid card will enable me to use super cheap used SAS drives, I have no choice but to look for a compatible motherboard. After searching, I found that Asus motherboard provides compatibility report and H310M-D D3 motherboard is compatible with LSI raid card. So my final build is:

• CPU: used i3-6100t, 12$
  • Motherboard: used H310M-D D3, 16$
  • Cooler: used Cooler Master 2U active cooler without the fan (due to noise), 5$
  • System drive: Kingston 64G USB, 3$
  • LSI card: used LSI 9217-8i, 8$
  • Power supply: Super-flower Bronze King 450W, 38$
  • HDD drives: used SAS 6T drives, 40*4$
  • Case: non-branded 4U short case K430FB (482*350*178mm), 25$

I was a little bit worried about my CPU temperature since I removed the CPU cooling fan. However, after built, the little air flow created by power supply intake fan is able to control my CPU temperature under 66 degree under heavy load and 45 degree under light load. Since I don't expect my CPU to run any sustained load, I believe this is more than sufficient. And I also strongly recommend using 4U short case instead of NAS case. My case is not only cheaper than similar cases such as SilverStone CS381 or CS380, but also ridiculously rigid. The steel must be at least 0.8mm thick, I even needed a hammer to remove PCIe slot cover.

Finally, my case's final look:

webwxgetmsgimg.jpeg

What exactly do you need help with here?

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

41 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

What exactly do you need help with here?

He is just sharing his experience of building a cheap NAS.

On 5/28/2023 at 12:53 PM, Valentin17 said:

He is just sharing his experience of building a cheap NAS.

Yeah. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

My main point is sharing two findings:

1. SY-N3160 motherboard isn't compatible with LSI raid card. For whatever reason, LSI raid card would show a normal, green heart beat LED, but doesn't turn on the HDDs, nor shows up in the system. I spent countless hours tring to debug the problem. So do pick your motherboard carefully.
  2. Use Short+4U instead of NAS+case to search for NAS case will get you much cheaper and ATX-compatible results. So that's an option for those who doesn't need the smallest case.

PS. Also, if you are buying large volume HDDs, make sure you don't provide 3.3v power. That will shut down the HDDs. Use molex-sata power cable so 3.3v is omitted.

That is cheap. My NAS obviously cost more than that, but it's smaller.

(Lian li PC-Q 25)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking