10gbit network card advice.

rosavanwinkle

Hello everyone! 

so im glad to say i got 10gbit fiber internet yesterday, yayyy! now i understand thats obviously overkill LINUS has mentioned this before in his videos.  but for my personal and work use since i run a few servers and the price difference was not much vs 1gbit fiber i went for it anyways.

now my pc has a 2.5 gbit ethernet port, so im going to need to get a network card 

right now im running a asus rog strix x570-e gaming motherboard

and i am not sure what card to buy most of the cards i find online (Belgium Europe) are either quite old(not necessary a bad thing) 
the latest one i found is a "gigabyte vision 10g" and its price is not too bad.
if anyone else has suggestions id like to hear from you! 

thank you for the assistance

20 minutes ago, rosavanwinkle said:

and i am not sure what card to buy most of the cards i find online (Belgium Europe) are either quite old(not necessary a bad thing) 

This one from tp link is a bit expensive but is one of the best ones on the market and is real compared to the cheap ass 15 euro ones I say on amazon TP-Link TX401 Carte réseau et adaptateur Ethernet 10 Gigabit PCIe, PCI Express 10 Gbps, 10GBase-T/Compatible avec 5/2.5/1Gb/100Mbps, RJ45 avec QoS, idéal pour les joueurs et NAS/hôte Server connection : Amazon.com.be: High-tech

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

36 minutes ago, rosavanwinkle said:

Hello everyone! 

so im glad to say i got 10gbit fiber internet yesterday, yayyy! now i understand thats obviously overkill LINUS has mentioned this before in his videos.  but for my personal and work use since i run a few servers and the price difference was not much vs 1gbit fiber i went for it anyways.

now my pc has a 2.5 gbit ethernet port, so im going to need to get a network card 

right now im running a asus rog strix x570-e gaming motherboard

I'd be looking at Intel cards, a lot of the branded cards are Aquantia chipsets which have been utterly broken in the latest version of Windows.  It also can be hard to find out which chipset a branded card is using.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 minutes ago, filpo said:

that honestly for me not a bad price, it has some negative reviews on the sites ive being looking at in europe there is also one from asus "xg-c100C" that does have a few more positive reviews, but its good im seing products that i was already looking at that others also suggest thanks! 

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd be looking at Intel cards, a lot of the branded cards are Aquantia chipsets which have been utterly broken in the latest version of Windows.  It also can be hard to find out which chipset a branded card is using.

the only one i can find so far is the "Intel 10 Gigabit AT2 Server Adapter" do you have any that you can advice?

37 minutes ago, rosavanwinkle said:

that honestly for me not a bad price, it has some negative reviews on the sites ive being looking at in europe there is also one from asus "xg-c100C" that does have a few more positive reviews, but its good im seing products that i was already looking at that others also suggest thanks! 

The C100C unfortunately is one of the ones that has become completely unusable on Windows for many of us.  Its frustrating as it works perfectly in Linux, but kills the network stack under heavy load on Windows 11 for me.

35 minutes ago, rosavanwinkle said:

the only one i can find so far is the "Intel 10 Gigabit AT2 Server Adapter" do you have any that you can advice?

I'd be looking for maybe a used X550-T1 card (though new/old stock is common), any brand.  They're quite common in HP and Dell from their servers.  The X540 is probably fine, but its only PCIe 2.1 so in a x4 slot (usually all we get on modern motherboards) might not be able to do full speed in both directions at the same time, unlikely an issue in the real world.

Don't fall for normal retailers though, they charge silly money for them.

Personally I'm sticking to 2.5Gbit, as its only really for game downloads which tend to bottleneck on updates anyway due to Steam aggressively using patching - so much so it can be quicker to uninstall and reinstall a game.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

22 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The C100C unfortunately is one of the ones that has become completely unusable on Windows for many of us.  Its frustrating as it works perfectly in Linux, but kills the network stack under heavy load on Windows 11 for me.

I'd be looking for maybe a used X550-T1 card (though new/old stock is common), any brand.  They're quite common in HP and Dell from their servers.  The X540 is probably fine, but its only PCIe 2.1 so in a x4 slot (usually all we get on modern motherboards) might not be able to do full speed in both directions at the same time, unlikely an issue in the real world.

Don't fall for normal retailers though, they charge silly money for them.

they really make it hard for regular consumers to implemet 10gbit dont they 😕 ill have a look for the card you suggested and avoid the asus one since im running win 11, do you have a pricepoint youd say is fair for this card?

1 minute ago, rosavanwinkle said:

they really make it hard for regular consumers to implemet 10gbit dont they 😕 ill have a look for the card you suggested and avoid the asus one since im running win 11, do you have a pricepoint youd say is fair for this card?

Not much help there as I'm in the UK.  Looking at eBay looks like ironically the X550-T2 might be cheaper than the T1.

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not much help there as I'm in the UK.  Looking at eBay looks like ironically the X550-T2 might be cheaper than the T1.

belgian ebay + second hand shops mostly show the T2 aswell xD although i can probably get something across the pond from the UK, or any other european country considering i got many friends i trust xD 

3 minutes ago, rosavanwinkle said:

belgian ebay + second hand shops mostly show the T2 aswell xD although i can probably get something across the pond from the UK, or any other european country considering i got many friends i trust xD 

The T2 is just a two-port version, no drawbacks I'm aware of to using that other than it should be more expensive than the T1. 😕

I guess it makes sense there might be more of them in ex-server pulls, they probably used them for redundancy.

bought the gigabyte lan card, will test it and update this post on compatibility issues,thanks for all the info ❤️
edit: package arrives by wednesday at latest 

18 hours ago, rosavanwinkle said:

bought the gigabyte lan card, will test it and update this post on compatibility issues,thanks for all the info ❤️
edit: package arrives by wednesday at latest 

Its AQC113C based so I really hope it doesn't have the same problem as the AQC107.

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its AQC113C based so I really hope it doesn't have the same problem as the AQC107.

care to explain the problems? so i know what to look for 

This is the NIC I use myself to get 10gb in my computer. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/PCIE10GB/#specs

My x1 slot is open ended on my board so I can use it as PCIE 4.0x1 even though its a x2 wired card and still get full bandwidth. Your board does not have an open ended x1 slot so you would either need to run it in the bottom x4 slot or modify a x1 slot to open it up. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 hours ago, rosavanwinkle said:

care to explain the problems? so i know what to look for 

Whenever Steam starts downloading at high speeds the whole network stack stops working, even the on-board LAN wont work any more, until you reboot.

There was a lot of speculation about the chip overheating but that's definitely not it, at least not for me, as that same card is now in my Linux server running 24/7 with zero issues.

11 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This is the NIC I use myself to get 10gb in my computer. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/PCIE10GB/#specs

My x1 slot is open ended on my board so I can use it as PCIE 4.0x1 even though its a x2 wired card and still get full bandwidth. Your board does not have an open ended x1 slot so you would either need to run it in the bottom x4 slot or modify a x1 slot to open it up. 

actually forgot to think about that,fudge... below is a screenshot of my motherboard layout, so where would i have to plug it in? 
image.png.e695ecb7391455a632cee1126b955ee0.png

1 hour ago, rosavanwinkle said:

actually forgot to think about that,fudge... below is a screenshot of my motherboard layout, so where would i have to plug it in? 
image.png.e695ecb7391455a632cee1126b955ee0.png

If you plug anything into Slot 3, PCIEx16_2 then your GPU in slot 1 would only run at x8 due to lane split. If you plug it into Slot 5 x16_3 then it would run through your chipset which should have enough bandwidth to fully support it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

35 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

If you plug anything into Slot 3, PCIEx16_2 then your GPU in slot 1 would only run at x8 due to lane split. If you plug it into Slot 5 x16_3 then it would run through your chipset which should have enough bandwidth to fully support it. 

godtier info thanks ❤️ ill do the testing on wednesday and if i run into issues/plausable settings i need to change, ill ask for it.

thanks everyone for the info you people have being great,i had no idea it was gonna get this tricky to get into to the 10gbit world haha

10 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Oh that's unfortunate, I guess that's the difference between the E and the F I have where slot 3 is to the chipset.

On 5/29/2023 at 2:50 AM, Skiiwee29 said:

Its frustrating those cards are x2, presumably so people using them in PCIe 3.0 slots still get full speed.  Further frustrated by the fact open-ended x1 slots are kinda rare.

I feel like they could at least use the half-height bracket and include a x2 to x1 adapter to fit them in a x1 slot.  If they're going to create a niche product, at least do it right.

2 minutes ago, NCC74656 said:

i just bought the intel x550-at. i dont have it yet but its intel so... id expect it to work

I wish you good fortune and hope it works

I just received the gigabyte 10Gbit network card, installed the card then the driver from gigabyte,it gets detected,but after inserting a internet cable she does not want to connected.... status stays on "not connected" anything i did wrong?

PS: this isnt because im running a windows 11 system arent i...

id try and set link negotiation manually. see what you CAN connect to.

also what is the other end going to? are you on an SFP+? another copper nic? switch, router, server?