Games stutter UNLESS I play a video on 2nd monitor

Mimicdesu
Go to solution Solved by Mimicdesu,

Ok just did a clean install of the GPU driver and changed back the power management to full performance and it works fine now. 
🙃

Hi guys! Running into an odd issue...

I'm running into a reversed stutter issue somehow where my games heavily stutter unless I play a video on the 2nd monitor. I'm still trying to find out the reason myself but currently still have the issue despite updating CPU/GPU Drivers and trying XMP on/off. Otherwise I'd currently have to sit on someones Twitch stream to play anything. Anyone know what's going on? Both monitors are at 144fps 

7800X3D

Zotac 4090

Gigabyte B650 Aero G

CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB 6000 MHZ (The AMD vers)

EDIT: I've discovered low GPU utilization at around 15-20% but when I stream a video it jumps to 50%+ and I hit my 144fps cap in the game I am testing. Currently trying to find out why the GPU utilization tanks unless a video is on screen.

Make sure in Nvidia control panel both are set to 144 and not something like 143 or 59 or other weirdly specific values they seem to have.. Also if there is an option for it in game, im not sure if the game you are having trouble with has this option, but make sure the in game settings match exactly the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor. I know some games love to put it automatically in fullscreen WINDOWED for better alt + tab expereiences. Make sure you force full screen, not full windowed or windowed, make sure your settings (resolution and refresh rate) match exactly what your monitor is set too, (1920x1080 / 144hz) if thats your config.

If the game is playing fine on one monitor and not the other, I think its safe to rule out drivers/ EXPO. 

7 minutes ago, BryBry said:

Make sure in Nvidia control panel both are set to 144 and not something like 143 or 59 or other weirdly specific values they seem to have.. Also if there is an option for it in game, im not sure if the game you are having trouble with has this option, but make sure the in game settings match exactly the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor. I know some games love to put it automatically in fullscreen WINDOWED for better alt + tab expereiences. Make sure you force full screen, not full windowed or windowed, make sure your settings (resolution and refresh rate) match exactly what your monitor is set too, (1920x1080 / 144hz) if thats your config.

If the game is playing fine on one monitor and not the other, I think its safe to rule out drivers/ EXPO. 

Whoa nice mention. I checked and Nvidia has my main monitor fixed at 175hz. Odd thing is that when I try to change the refresh rate on the control panel I dont get prompt to apply or save. When I leave the tab, it goes back to 175? How do I work around this 🤔

Just now, Mimicdesu said:

Whoa nice mention. I checked and Nvidia has my main monitor fixed at 175hz. Odd thing is that when I try to change the refresh rate on the control panel I dont get prompt to apply or save. When I leave the tab, it goes back to 175? How do I work around this 🤔

hmmmm, to be honest I dont think you should try and work around it, try setting your ingame refresh rate to 175 and the correct resolution and then try and fiddle with your monitor settings. If you do want to change settings, whenever you click a different resolution and refresh rate you should see an apply button. If not then it means you are already on this setting. I think... lol 

image.png.868340c57aa9aad6af6c92910a02a4e2.png

Just now, BryBry said:

hmmmm, to be honest I dont think you should try and work around it, try setting your ingame refresh rate to 175 and the correct resolution and then try and fiddle with your monitor settings. If you do want to change settings, whenever you click a different resolution and refresh rate you should see an apply button. If not then it means you are already on this setting. I think... lol 

image.png.868340c57aa9aad6af6c92910a02a4e2.png

I forgot to mention that having 175 hz vs 144hz is better anyway, and also try just setting whatever setting says "Native" next to it. Should work best that way.... however should seems to be a strong word here

12 minutes ago, BryBry said:

I forgot to mention that having 175 hz vs 144hz is better anyway, and also try just setting whatever setting says "Native" next to it. Should work best that way.... however should seems to be a strong word here

Thanks for the responses btw! So far no dice though. I'm still wondering why playing a video makes the stutter dissappear. Like, it has to be on screen. If I play the video on a window and open another window or scroll away from the video, the stutter comes back

9 minutes ago, Mimicdesu said:

Thanks for the responses btw! So far no dice though. I'm still wondering why playing a video makes the stutter dissappear. Like, it has to be on screen. If I play the video on a window and open another window or scroll away from the video, the stutter comes back

dang 😞, no problem!!! Hope you can find a solution, I hate to point fingers but it seems lots of X3D CPU's are having randomly issues right now :(, as much as I love AMD, Its a pain when trying to deal with them 

Ok just did a clean install of the GPU driver and changed back the power management to full performance and it works fine now. 
🙃