My friend and their roommate are moving soon and they wanted tips on packing their PC. Is there anything I can suggest to them that could help?

Granted they are only going to a new apartment 8-10 minutes away from their current place. Another bonus is they can take the drive very slowly as there is no higher speed roads they will be traveling. I already told them to make sure they wedge PC cases in the back seat of their cars so it can't tip over or be knocked around. But, they are not sure they want to uninstall their GPUs or CPU coolers. One has an air cooler and the other has an AIO so he does not really need to worry about it as much. Their biggest concern was the 1-2 inch bump they have to drive over to enter the new place's parking lot. 

They both use their PCs for streaming and one for some on the side video editing the other some animating so they did not want to deal with the packing and unpacking nightmare to get things back together. After seeing the state of the rest of their stuff I kind of get what they meant when they told me this.

Is there anything I can suggest to them that could help or for this type of situation would they be fine?

My Main PC

• CPU: 13700KF
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta
  • GPU: RTX 4070 ASUS Dual
  • Case: RAIDMAX X603
  • Storage: WD SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Fully Modular
  • Cooling: DEEPCOOL LS720
  • Display(s): Gigabyte G24F2 & Dell S2318HN/NX
  • Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon (GX Blue)
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
  • Sound: Bose Headphone & Creative SBS260
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Laptop: Alienware m15 R1

• CPU: 9750H
  • MB: OEM
  • RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz
  • GPU: RTX 2060 Mobile)

Phone: Galaxy A50

Other: Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Azurael said:

Granted they are only going to a new apartment 8-10 minutes away from their current place. Another bonus is they can take the drive very slowly as there is no higher speed roads they will be traveling. I already told them to make sure they wedge PC cases in the back seat of their cars so it can't tip over or be knocked around. But, they are not sure they want to uninstall their GPUs or CPU coolers. One has an air cooler and the other has an AIO so he does not really need to worry about it as much. Their biggest concern was the 1-2 inch bump they have to drive over to enter the new place's parking lot. 

They both use their PCs for streaming and one for some on the side video editing the other some animating so they did not want to deal with the packing and unpacking nightmare to get things back together. After seeing the state of the rest of their stuff I kind of get what they meant when they told me this.

Is there anything I can suggest to them that could help or for this type of situation would they be fine?

The AIO is fine, lay the case on it's side in transport so the motherboard is laying flat. REMOVE THOSE GPUS, coworker custom built PCs with air coolers and gpus all installed and even put shipping foam in the case made for PCs. All the air coolers moved around broke or damaged the socket/mobo. It might not be as bad since they are driving and shipping it themselves opposed to a carrier throwing boxes but if you want to be completely safe. You want to remove the GPU lay the cases flat on the side so the motherboard lays flat, and remove the aircooler(especially if it's a large one like a NH-D15).

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

They're far, far far too paranoid. Just have it secure and you're fine. By secure, I mean have it wedged between something so that it can't move around.

If they hit something hard enough that you knock a cooler off, or a GPU loose, they're going to have far more to worry about than a PC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, Azurael said:

Best practice :

1. Unplug GPU
2. Uninstall Air Cooler / AIO

If 2nd option is not viable by some reason, lay the PC case down on it's side, so that the air cooler stands upright.

AIO... idk, pray to Cthulhu that no leak occurs ??.

I'd still suggest taking both of those things off the motherboard. Don't be lazy when it comes to safety of expensive stuffs.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE GPU(s). IT IS NOT WORTH THE GAMBLE OF BREAKING HARDWARE. Usually I keep the packaging my GPU came in for this purpose. GPU always rides by itself.

For the system as a whole, I usually shove it into the case box and call it a day. Lay it down on its side so the motherboard is laying flat. If you've got a super chonky air cooler, it can help to remove that as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I just lay it in a way bumps don't torque it and wrap it in moving blankets

Done multiple cross country trips with it that way. 
You ain't shipping it with fedex/ups/usps/whatever freight company that might hit it or drop it as it moves from truck to warehouse to train to plane.

Just don't crash

42 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They're far, far far too paranoid. Just have it secure and you're fine. By secure, I mean have it wedged between something so that it can't move around.

If they hit something hard enough that you knock a cooler off, or a GPU loose, they're going to have far more to worry about than a PC.

That is a fair point, I drive my new PC from my parents house 10 minutes way with the PC standing up and tightly wedged behind my seat. I drove about 5-10mph under the speed limit so the trip took slightly longer LOL. I even had to go over some small bumps in because the pavement in the parking lot here cracked and shifted over the winter (I had forgot about this.) I made sure to be extra careful with moving the PC as I am with everything electronic and I checked the inside after I got it in my place. My PC is running fine here a full week and a couple days later.

So, they may not have to much to worry about at the end of the day I guess. Though I have a AIO and a duo fan 4070, the streamer has 4090. Which is a butt ton heavier so, I am probably going to keep urging them to take it out and just work on packing it separately.

My Main PC

• CPU: 13700KF
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta
  • GPU: RTX 4070 ASUS Dual
  • Case: RAIDMAX X603
  • Storage: WD SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Fully Modular
  • Cooling: DEEPCOOL LS720
  • Display(s): Gigabyte G24F2 & Dell S2318HN/NX
  • Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon (GX Blue)
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
  • Sound: Bose Headphone & Creative SBS260
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Laptop: Alienware m15 R1

• CPU: 9750H
  • MB: OEM
  • RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz
  • GPU: RTX 2060 Mobile)

Phone: Galaxy A50

Other: Nintendo Switch

if your friends are not comfortable unplugging a GPU then lay the pc flat with the motherboard down closest to the seat if in a car.

Also orientate the PC so that the back of the PC is facing the rear wheels of the car whilst the front of course is facing the front of the car. 

in this orientation the retention clip for the GPU is doing its work when you brake for traffic lights etc and will help if due to other lunatics on the road you need to hit the brakes suddenly.

thats about it. Moved so many PC over the year never had an issue doing it this way.

just remember to orientate properly to avoid any sideways stress on the PCI slot holding the GPU.