Truenas Scale with PiHole app is not getting DNS requests

Hi Toghether

I'm currently building up my new Truenas system on my Testbench. After a successful start I will change some hardware over and build it into the case of the old Truenas System

I have already some experiences with Truenas Core but want to switch to a Linux based OS and newer (and also not defect) Hardware. I also know Pihole for quite some time (two successful installations on RaspberryPi’s and one installation in a VM in my old Truenas Core system)

So I have some troubles getting the Pihole App doing its job.

I can successfully install both variants (Truenas or Truecharts) but both share the same problem. My devices can’t send the DNS requests to them.

I can open both WebUI’s and both can update the gravity and download new lists.

The IP-address of the NAS/Pihole is used on the devices not in my router/modem, because the router/modem capabilities are mostly locked by the provider.

I changed for these tests the DNS-addresses on both my PC and my Smartphone multiple times between my currently running PiHole VM and the new installed app. It always ended by my computer and phone saying that I am not connected to the internet and not being able to open websites.

I used only the default settings and ports in the apps.

Any ideas what I should try next?

My specs are:

• Truenas Scale 22.12.2
  • Asrock Z97 Extreme4
  • Intel i5 4570
  • 2x2GB RAM (will be upgraded to 2x8GB RAM)
  • Integrated Intel GPU
  • Intel 128GB NVME Boot Drive
  • Intel 256 GB NVME Drive for VMs and Apps
  • (4*4TB WD NAS HDD for Mass storage will be added later)
  • 450W Noname PSU (will be a Sabrent >500W 80plus Gold PSU)
  • Provider: Wingo 10Gbps fiber

As a little background to myself:

My knowledge about software and networking is limited. Informatics is a hobby and sometimes side part of my job. I would never consider myself as an expert or experienced, but I am willing to learn everything that is useful to me or my family and friends.

Diffrent Day and more Luck.

I didn't change anything, just repeatet everything with the Truecharts App and everything works like a charm.