Building a $100,000 PC for Minecraft

Shahrad

Thanks to Flexispot for sponsoring this video! FlexiSpot’s Brand Day Sale event is on until May 25th! Use the code "LINUS50" to get the best price of the year. Don't miss out!

US: https://bit.ly/43vHOmf

CA: https://bit.ly/41tGejc

UK: https://bit.ly/3MJfuan

DE: https://bit.ly/3MdRtGI

Karl Jacobs reached out to us with the wild idea to build a $100,000 gaming PC so he could beat Minecraft on it.... And I have to say... We hecking delivered.

This is what it feels like to go from a $500 console to a $50,000 PC

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I would love to have this pc. It looks so nice 🤩

How much did you guys go over budget? 

2.5$ for some gorilla glue?

just to glue that last penny to the bottom of the case for the 999.999,99$ PC

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

4 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

How much did you guys go over budget? 

2.5$ for some gorilla glue?

just to glue that last penny to the bottom of the case for the 999.999,99$ PC

As far as money explicitly spent on the computer goes, we were very slightly under budget.  Once you consider it took ~2 months for Tim to design the desk, assembly time and crating it for shipping we went waaaaaay over budget.  Given I've never seen an engineering firm with a charge out rate for labour below $100/h..... Karl got an exceptional deal.

What is the monitor arm/rail system that was used?

I'm really interested in that & it's the one thing they didn't talk about lol

Alex, can we get an in depth look into the custom loop design? I'm smitten with the idea of equalizing temps. 

4 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

As far as money explicitly spent on the computer goes, we were very slightly under budget.  Once you consider it took ~2 months for Tim to design the desk, assembly time and crating it for shipping we went waaaaaay over budget.  Given I've never seen an engineering firm with a charge out rate for labour below $100/h..... Karl got an exceptional deal.

13 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Once you consider it took ~2 months

but the next one will only take 2 weeks now :^)

Is there already an answer video from Karl available? And if not, where will it be uploaded?

What texture/resource packs and shader packs were used in this video? I know I've seen them before but I just can't remember the name.

20 minutes ago, CaptainClams said:

I'd like to know that, too. I need a new multi monitor mounting solution for my desk and that seems to be perfect for my needs.

27 minutes ago, CaptainClams said:

Came here for this as well!!!! I gots to know!

What a crazy build, but it feels kinda weird to watch the finished build first and then the build process later.

Nice choices on the audio setup too, I'm glad you went with actual studio monitors and interface instead of the easier route of buying much more expensive snake oil "audiophile" stuff. Also lol @ that 40 channel RME interface, just a little overkill 🤯 (I'd have went with the Neve 88M just for simplicity's sake while also keeping the audio quality and high price)

is this PTSD? as one might get flashbacks now and it starting all over again!
but I guess its been a while with a project like this. oh its not your server, nvm.

Edited by Quackers101

What if I want to buy the exact same desk computer ?

Can I contact you somewhere for it ?

Just now, wmbqthnfxgnjygn said:

What if I want to buy the exact same desk computer ?

Can I contact you somewhere for it ?

if he said he wouldn't sell it to a Saudi Prince who has billions of dollars, what do you think hes going to tell you if you ask?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if he said he wouldn't sell it to a Saudi Prince who has billions of dollars, what do you think hes going to tell you if you ask?

I didn't even know he said that my english isn't the best as far as I know I'm not even a native english speaker...

But, I'm not a Saudi Prince so he would say yes ! 🙂

Isn't dust getting into the desk an issue? I noticed there are parts at the corners where glass does not seal the inside 🤔

Great video btw

I'm surprised that they just didn't get him the 5k PC, got him the industrial water chiller they used in a few videos so far, and just used the rest of the 100k to do the home renovation to properly do the rest of the set up.

2 hours ago, CaptainClams said:

Same! What mount is it?!

2 hours ago, Shraf2k said:

Alex, can we get an in depth look into the custom loop design? I'm smitten with the idea of equalizing temps. 

They're doing this 3 loop thing to make it seem fancy not because it has a purpose/benefit.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

They used the Asus PG41UQ monitor for the main display, yet they don't mention, nor has any reviewer mentioned, the issue with the firmware that causes the screen to go blank every 4 hours, for 6 minutes, to do a forced pixel refresh. Asus seems to be unwilling to do anything about the firmware issue with this monitor. I have the 48UQ and this happens like clockwork, and it is extremely annoying. If you keep the older firmware installed (V16), you get washed out colors in HDR that is fixed with later firmware (V25, V 26) but then have to deal with the forced pixel refresh. This is unacceptable for a $1400 monitor. Linus stated how they will hold sponsors feet to the fire, will they do the same with this? 

PG48UQ Black screen and HDR issues - Republic of Gamers Forum - 898754 (asus.com)

Some money would've been better spent on dumping the heat outside of the house, instead of just warming the room in the summer.