Build your own Mechanical Keyboard… the RIGHT Way

Plouffe

It’s been a few years and things have changed drastically in the mechanical keyboard space. Come follow along and find out if Linus will finally ditch Cherry Browns and prebuilt boards.

Check out the TOFU65 2.0 Kit: https://lmg.gg/022RQ

Check out the CLEAR 248 Purple Keycaps Set: https://lmg.gg/BhWlW

Check out the D60LITE Kit: https://lmg.gg/pXvUr
Check out the Stacked65 Kit: https://lmg.gg/HuHMR
Buy a CIY GAS67 Kit: https://lmg.gg/3w2ry

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

am i the only one that thinks Plouffe should've appeared through the whole thing? I mean he did spend his life savings on keycaps

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

wonder if there is any kits/pcbs that do full keyboard + a bunch of macro keys, cause i love my k95 with 18 of those, but also know it won't last forever.

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

Damn then you build a keyboard, and it sounds as bad as this one does..

I am fine with the explanation, i know i have been out a while, and i still rocking a muted build with Oil Kings.. just way to clacky..

actually dumped both my wood and aluminium build for an older KBDfans R3 lite, since it plastic chassie simply just gave a really nice sound.

I've been waiting for this thread to show up!

Very cool video! I loved the last one Linus did on custom DYI keyboards.

What I'm interested in is making replica keyboards for old computers (only with USB for use with emulation), like for the Comodore 64, the ZX Spectrum and the Color Computer 2.  I can't seem to find anything prebuilt that are exactly those specifically.

I feel like they glossed over the hardest part of building a keyboard: choosing what switches you want. On the surface, it's easy to look at mechanical keyboards and go "oh, there's only 3 kinds of switches" and then upon looking for, say, a linear switch, there's suddenly 5,000 different variants of a linear switch, and there's zero way to know what it actually "feels like" without purchasing a key switch tester, and those also aren't great since there's still hundreds of different ones that exist that you can never try without buying a whole bag of them.

Perhaps they should have included a quick tl-dr of all the different switch kinds, the most popular ones, what the differences are between linear/clicky/tactile, etc.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

Did i hear there a Forrest Gump reference when Linus listed the number of various switch mounts?

I don't know how anyone with less than a 75% could get anything done. It's insane to try to go that small. You're losing a lot of functionality for no benefit. Of course, as a leftie, I'd never go anything less than full (give me numpad even on my laptop, please!)

But why? The best keyboard already exists! I'm afraid "custom mechanical keyboards" is a rabbit hole I can't afford to allow myself to fall down...

I like the longer cold open before the sponsor toss, but I miss the theme song and couch gag one-liner. Maybe tack those on the end, like a studio logo?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, emcue said:

I don't know how anyone with less than a 75% could get anything done. It's insane to try to go that small. You're losing a lot of functionality for no benefit.

Thats where fn keys come in. 75% is honestly the sweet spot where you can still get things done without completely compromising it. I personally run a 70% where you lose the F row to get the entire array of navigation keys which hits the productivity sweet spot for me because for the most part my productivity suite is typing.

But trust me, coming from ex 100% user, you really dont miss out a lot on relinquishing the numpad if at all. It really only matters when you use calculator or need to do burst of excel data input that are purely numbers which even on my Vivobook is still a breeze. 

5 hours ago, StephanTW said:

wonder if there is any kits/pcbs that do full keyboard + a bunch of macro keys, cause i love my k95 with 18 of those, but also know it won't last forever.

If youre already on iCue, you can just buy another keyboard and use your current K95 as one of the world's most bang for the buck macropad. The downside is that youre on iCue.

3 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

I feel like they glossed over the hardest part of building a keyboard: choosing what switches you want. On the surface, it's easy to look at mechanical keyboards and go "oh, there's only 3 kinds of switches" and then upon looking for, say, a linear switch, there's suddenly 5,000 different variants of a linear switch, and there's zero way to know what it actually "feels like" without purchasing a key switch tester, and those also aren't great since there's still hundreds of different ones that exist that you can never try without buying a whole bag of them.

Perhaps they should have included a quick tl-dr of all the different switch kinds, the most popular ones, what the differences are between linear/clicky/tactile, etc.

Agreed on this asessment sadly. I hope for a separate video on it even though in the best case scenario its always to test physically.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

if anyone is curious about the keycaps used by the staff in the opening at the video, 

@9 seconds: SA Noctua from drop. 

@11 seconds KAT Milkshake keycaps (could be PBT/Cherry milkshake, but probably KAT Milkshake)

@12 seconds GMK Pharoah keycaps

natalie's keycaps @ 10 seconds look like some amazon/aliexpress special 

8 hours ago, emcue said:

I don't know how anyone with less than a 75% could get anything done. It's insane to try to go that small. You're losing a lot of functionality for no benefit. Of course, as a leftie, I'd never go anything less than full (give me numpad even on my laptop, please!)

I only have 60%, and a few 50%. I don't have any issues "getting stuff done" . I have full functionality on layers but almost never need to use them other than arrows which I have on WASD. To me a large keyboard is nothing but a waste of desk space.

14 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

Yeah they did talk lubrication, then showed like the simplest switch overview of cherry switches.. we are far from Cherry standard switches anymore.

And there is SO much to gain in the proper switch, also to get rid of the need for a lot of the hack, still running old Gateron Oil Kings, which is factory lubed, and Pandas in another.. but so much is happening.

and personally i went from being and old school MX brown (tactile non clicky) Cherry switch guy, to ONLY running liniars, today, since the feeling is so smooth and the sound when done correctly is perfectly muted. i think Cherry will be the LAST switch i go.

then the North / south facing LED which is important, the different mountings, and compability of prints with switches. 

The modding of prebuilds like actually making a Keychron keyboard great. ...

There is so much more Great information on the web, either go REALLY nerdy, or a bit playful. 

This was a wierd mixture of making something REALLY deep simple, without really succeeding, it is ALL over the place in deep diving in some elements.. and then Linus discarding the whole thing, by actually just ridiculing it with "well is this really needed" "okay this is good enough for me" the problem with custom is that if "this is good enough for me" then don´t go down this VERY EXPENSIVE rabbit hole.. buy a mechanical, or whatever, and just accept it..  

The fun thing is, i have myself (even OLD me) falled for the issue of hating all keyboards, that have a poorly setup spacebar, the clonky sound with metallic stab sounds... and the joy of sitting with a keyboard, where i feel ALL keys make the same feedback and sound. that is a joy. (but an expensive one, TOO expensive, and hard when you are nordic, because both ISO and WIERD nordic layout of letters and the ÆØÅ) 😄

It is fun, i think there was so many potential videos in this.. although i get it, the crowd can be niche..

But a switch selection video, where you could use the LAB, and the testing, of sound/feeling/weight (which also open up for new videos, with new switch types) also a way to MAYBE puncture some of the myths

Modding - What works what does not, and also some of the Insane mods where you work with materials around prints, and battery that could give you fire risks

Stab selection - differences.

Prints, chassies, foams, mutes.. 

Plate sounds (brass, carbon, pom, and so on)...

also a good way of having a critical voice, since all "keyboard" fanatics, are soo deep in it, that they have a hard time.. actually seeing it from a cost / performance perspective.

10 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

If youre already on iCue, you can just buy another keyboard and use your current K95 as one of the world's most bang for the buck macropad. The downside is that youre on iCue.

I don't have that much desk space but also I was more referring to when switches will eventually start dying

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

2 hours ago, StephanTW said:

I don't have that much desk space but also I was more referring to when switches will eventually start dying

LTT has done a video showing how to replace them.  It's a bit of work, but far from impossible.

Is there anyway to go full custom everything? I mean, even design the PCB layout? I'm sure anyone with enough knowledge could do so, but are there any companies that would assist in that? Like what if I wanted to make a DIY USB Commodore 64 board with the weird up-down, left-right keys and all?

What is the name of the keyboard in the bottom left at 0:29