Summer Folding Sprint 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

@leadeater or any other mod, can you now lock this please. 

Sprint2023small.png.e77b75153178de6e6870eccedec000ff.png

Event Starts: June 1st (00:00 BST)

Ends: June 7th (23:59 BST)

https://forms.gle/4Erf7fJ7nnwURkfG9

This event will NOT be eligible for F@H event badges.

Follow this thread to keep up to date!

Please read the whole of this post before asking any questions and use the link/s provided at the end for help and support!

Minimum Participation Requirements For Prizes

7 Days with activity*, 100,000 Points & 14 WU

(*activity is defined as completing at least 1WU for the 24 hour period)

These must be met DURING the week of the event. Points produced before the start date do not count!

Prizes!!!

(possibly more to come)

Community donated prizes:

20 x Random Steam Keys - Donated by Community Chest

Draw: Random

When I did the first folding sprint, a five-day mid-week madness, I never thought it would become a regular thing, yet here we are. 

The folding sprint is on the one hand a nod to our few southern hemisphere members while also trying to help out the folding protect, who often see their processor count drop during the summer. The aim is simple, make as many points as you can for the week while trying to stay as cool as possible. Folding is an incredibly finicky software and is a great way to tell if your system is truly 100% per cent stable. 

Folding@home is a network of volunteer computers distributed around the world that aims to perform biomedical research with the single intent of helping to further understand and develop cures for a range of diseases such as; Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's. The exact research that is done is simulating the 'folding' of proteins in the body, this is important because the function of a protein is directly related to its physical shape. And this, when the protein is created in the body it needs to reshuffle its shape to get into the correct structure to perform its task. Many illnesses can be linked to faulty proteins in the body such as many cancers and neurological issues, along with a wide number of other general health concerns. 

If you are wondering what exactly has been done with all this computing power then you can check out the papers written by the scientists and researchers that use the folding network, I will warn you though many of them are very in-depth reads and in turn this means they are often fairly technical.

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

To qualify for prizes you must meet the minimum requirements for participation which for this event will be as follows minimum requirements: 100k points, 14WUs, and 7 days of activity over the course of the whole week. This means, you miss a day and you are out of the running. As always, this is subject to change for future events as we find out what the sweet spot is to include as many people as possible but not make it too easy to just get a free entry for prizes.

PASSKEYS! (they're really important)

Don't forget to get yourself a passkey from the link below to ensure that you hit the points requirement, the passkey is a feature that was added a while ago to the Folding Client that helps to authenticate each user on the network, an added bonus of this is the fact that it allows you to qualify for QRB(Quick Return Bonus) Points, QRBs are extra points you earn for submitting work units more quickly, such as if you have faster hardware or let the client fold full time, rather than on idle. QRB credit is awarded after 10 WUs have been submitted. You can get your passkey from the link below.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

This is just a PSA for the new guys here, the folding team is a small close-knit community, so here's a few things I'd like you all to keep in mind. It doesn't hurt to say thank you, if someone has genuinely helped you out don't forget to drop a reaction on their posts, help others where ever you can and finally we are a team first and always. 

Check your stats out here! Bear in mind it can take some time for your first WUs to appear so leave it a day or two.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

Please follow the guides below to help with set-up and troubleshooting.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/11/2023 at 2:29 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

To qualify for badges prizes you must meet the minimum requirements for participation which for this event will be as follows minimum requirements: 100k points, 14WUs, and 7 days of activity over the course of the whole week. This means, you miss a day and you are out of the running. 

*Prays to F@H Assignment Server* Please no 2+ day WUs. Thanks.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

ITS HERE!!!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Also, what do you guys think of the branding for this event? 

I worked pretty hard on it, with my first attempt being Folding Month V... I feel I did a much better job 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

18 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I worked pretty hard on it, with my first attempt being Folding Month V... I feel I did a much better job 

I dig it! Good color choice and general aesthetic of the runner. Nice work!

Just now, Captainmarino said:

I dig it! Good color choice and general aesthetic of the runner. Nice work!

Well it is LTT...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

50 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

looking good! with each iteration these events become more and more professional looking. nice job! 🙂 

Woot!  Think this time I will join in.  Hopefully the weather ain't too hot in June.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

In!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Blog for the event, make sure to follow for updates 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/11/2023 at 8:29 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

image.jpeg.4f45facdd094e3e8d73597b7c9afef85.jpeg

Just now, Senzelian said:

image.jpeg.4f45facdd094e3e8d73597b7c9afef85.jpeg

The only events that are are the folding month 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The only events that are are the folding month 

Yeah I'm fine with that. I can wait until the next folding month for my badge. Yeah no problem. Really! 

🤪🔫

Just now, Senzelian said:

Yeah I'm fine with that. I can wait until the next folding month for my badge. Yeah no problem. Really! 

🤪🔫

IIRC you are due an upgrade this year, right?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

IIRC you are due an upgrade this year, right?

Yes sir! I participated twice and if I manage to participate this year again I won't be a newbie any longer. 🥳

And I also have more powerful hardware now that I need to test 🤓

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Yes sir! I participated twice and if I manage to participate this year again I won't be a newbie any longer. 🥳

And I also have more powerful hardware now that I need to test 🤓

Nice, no idea how I remember that kinda stuff 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/11/2023 at 7:29 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

To qualify for badges you must meet the minimum requirements for participation

On 5/11/2023 at 7:29 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

I mean I've know this (about sprints not qualifying for badges) but this feels like a contradiction?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Just now, Lightwreather JfromN said:

I mean I've know this (about sprints not qualifying for badges) but this feels like a contradiction?

rip... I'm perpetually tired okay 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Edited it, It was meant to sat prizes

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

rip... I'm perpetually tired okay 

np, it happens to even the best of us.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

3 hours ago, Egon3 said:

Just signed up. Looking forward to taking part in my first Folding event!

Welcome to the fold!