10 STEAM features you didn't know about.

JordB

Steam is used by millions of people every day, but most just barely scratch the surface of what Steam can do. We look at 10 Steam features you might never have seen before!

Buy a SABRENT M.2 NVMe SSD Portable Enclosure: https://geni.us/BPyzAd

Buy an UGREEN M.2 NVMe SSD Portable Enclosure: https://geni.us/U2BZ

Buy an ASUS ROG STRIX Arion M.2 NVMe SSD Portable Enclosure: https://geni.us/U2BZ

Jokes on you I DID know all of these (let’s just say I’m that guy pal trust me) 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Another thing most people did not know about Steam you have a 15k total Workshop subscription cap. So be conservative with your mods if you are one of the people who likes downloading all the mods for their games.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

You could probably add another 10 or 20 points and go to the Steamworks, as in the side of Steam that isn't media sexy enough for even Epic to try to copy decade later.

Remote play is my favorite feature I didn't know about for years. I can play a game with a friend over the internet who doesn't own the game.

sadly the servers are mostly steam related?
Sad that their videoplayer sort of died, for when the storepage had movies (mostly free ones) as it was better than other videoplayers on the web, when it worked. Now its directed through the web? haven't tried if it still works, but I think you still own some of that and the library sucks in handling it.

rest of the rant

steam workshop is a huge deal, steam relays are cool and is sort of new, then to remote together is different but still some improvements (hopefully more). A few issues with dealing with the built-in gallery for pictures with recent UI changes, so its a bit harder to access but still sort of cool. Showing links (to a few more UI issues). That steam asks when doing surveys are pretty nice, unlike certain others. Sometimes people forget that there is a guide section and good forums for some games on steam. Steam broadcast is also not used as much, but its there. Manage reviews and sometimes linking third-party or EULAs on the side of the storepage on some titles. Grouping a series of titles together (storepage), but that part of the UI can become messy, from collections, groups and many different access points to different pages.

Dynamic sorting of titles in your library, proton, group chat, group voice chat, some that doesn't have a lot of usecases until its more integrated (not sure if discord does this with discord games).

oh yeah like others said, a huge feature with steam is BETAs and other version of the SAME game (if developers allow or maybe through dev stuff?). For testing or other parts of the same game. forgot to mention the music player.

some in short

- sharing and creating options like workshop and community hub

- most types of media options (music, video etc)

- some good overlays

- more info on storepages than other stores (some is sadly hidden too)

- launch options + game version access (not always or enabled by dev?)
- offline access (but its gotten worse by time, some still able to run .exe)

- sorting options (needs more)

and more.

Edited by Quackers101

Wanted to throw out an addendum for family sharing your game library. While it is true you can't play from the same library at the same time, this only applies while the library owner is online

On top of this, the wife and I will play many games together such as Divinity Original Sin, Baldurs Gate 3, We Were Here series and many others together from my library even though only I own the game.

Of course if the game in question uses steam servers to do multiplayer, you won't be able to find each other (since the library owner isn't allowed to connect to steam servers while in offline mode). So it would have to be a game specific server, direct connect or LAN.

Should probably mention that the server browser mainly only works for GoldSrc/Source games, which is an infinitesimal fraction of the games on Steam compared to even a decade ago. It's a vestigial feature from the days when Steam was just Valve's proprietary launcher for Source games, and is gonna be completely useless for the vast majority of Steam's current userbase.

Hell, the only Source game people still even play regularly is CS:GO and maybe some TF2, and particularly in CS:GO's case, the game is designed to direct them almost exclusively to ranked matchmaking rather than servers viewable on a server browser. As of this writing, all I even see on CS:GO's server browser is a handful of surf maps, so it seems that the server browser is only really used for niche game modes, and likewise with TF2. No one bothers hosting a good 24/7 2Fort server or anything anymore, because matchmaking just gets you into games quicker.

Sadly, server browsing is a thing of the past, having fizzled out after Gen7. Most online games just funnel you into Elo hell nowadays.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

love  a easy to copy and past steam cache and game cache video again.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

One of the best features that Steam has, is that it just works and its relatively simple no nonsense UI. It's not a huge pile of useless garbage like whatever EA and Ubisoft are doing. That alone makes it amazing.

All hail Gaben our lord and savior. 

I was wondering if anyone got the "steam://install/" codes to work on the Linux version of Steam. I use an OS based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and I cannot seem to find the place where I should enter that, by the way the steam client once had the URL box in the top, but a recent update has removed it.

If someone knows how to make it work please tell me.

Link of the Ugreen M.2 Enclosure is wrong

I am so so glad steam input was mentioned, although I wish it went just a little bit more in depth or at least mentioned the old video about flick stick and gyro and how it can be implemented via steam input

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

5 hours ago, Senzelian said:

One of the best features that Steam has, is that it just works and its relatively simple no nonsense UI. It's not a huge pile of useless garbage like whatever EA and Ubisoft are doing. That alone makes it amazing.

All hail Gaben our lord and savior. 

Until you are a Mac user and launches steam and it eats up 1,5 GB of your RAM for no apparent reason... 😛 

14 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Until you are a Mac user and launches steam and it eats up 1,5 GB of your RAM for no apparent reason... 😛 

I thought Macs don't need RAM and run on magic anyway. 🙃

11 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I thought Macs don't need RAM and run on magic anyway. 🙃

A while ago when LTT did the video with a slimmed down version of windows for older hardware and they showed the task manager with steam taking about 150 MB of RAM I screamed inside at Valve for the Mac version of steam taking 1,5 GB. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2023 at 11:31 AM, AAVVIronAlex said:

I was wondering if anyone got the "steam://install/" codes to work on the Linux version of Steam. I use an OS based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and I cannot seem to find the place where I should enter that, by the way the steam client once had the URL box in the top, but a recent update has removed it.

If someone knows how to make it work please tell me.

Found a solution for this, in case anyone was wondering.

This is the command to insert into the Linux terminal to install the game. (This example installs the Codename Gordon game) The small install window should appear soon afterwards.

steam steam://install/92