I am begging LTTSTORE to make a ratchet advance screwdriver.

What is a ratchet advance screwdriver? I'm happy you asked! 

It's just a screwdriver that spins faster than the handle. Of course, it also works as a normal ratchet. 

Why does it matter? 

Because I'm a pc tech that charges by the hour, and I don't want to waste customer time or money. Plus, they sure do seem to appreciate actively SEEING that I'm going fast. 

Of course, those aren't the only benefits. I work on a lot of stuff, including firearms, pcs, vehicles and 3d printers. I use it on everything, because it's so convenient. 

One thing I love is that you can quickly drive the ratchet with one hand, so you can hold an item with one hand and ratchet advance with the other. 

Video attached. 

https://youtu.be/v4FlYdW_z0o

Delidded, custom IHS i7-8700k @ 5.2ghz

Founders Edition GTX970

Hopefully this is allowed. Bump and also annoying tag: @LinusTech

Pls don't murder me. Please do make a ratchet advance screwdriver. 

If you guys need one I'll send you one to inspect/disassemble. 

Founders Edition GTX970

18 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

ratchet advance would be nice but it’s so niche i doubt ltt will make it

If they made one it suddenly wouldn't be niche lol

Founders Edition GTX970

Bump because I am selfish. 

Please. 

If you make one I'll pay $100. I'm so afraid of losing the last ones I have 

Founders Edition GTX970

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a proprietary mechanism that would be extremely difficult and costly to replicate without violating patents, and costly to pay for the rights to use. I'm in a similar spot with the precision version of the kobalt double drive screwdriver, which isn't sold anymore. Thankfully I grabbed a handful before they were gone, but they won't last forever.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:36 AM, Hellreaver said:

If you make one I'll pay $100. I'm so afraid of losing the last ones I have 

which would not cover the costs of development and tooling. suhc a device is going to be such low volume that it would probably not make money.

you would probably be better of with a mini electric screwdriver like

71aX7Mk1YML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

19 hours ago, PuG1 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a proprietary mechanism that would be extremely difficult and costly to replicate without violating patents, and costly to pay for the rights to use. I'm in a similar spot with the precision version of the kobalt double drive screwdriver, which isn't sold anymore. Thankfully I grabbed a handful before they were gone, but they won't last forever.

I actually have one of the double drives with the forward/backward control that moves parallel to the shaft - sorry but I hate it. 

15 hours ago, Arika S said:

which would not cover the costs of development and tooling. suhc a device is going to be such low volume that it would probably not make money.

you would probably be better of with a mini electric screwdriver like

71aX7Mk1YML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Every electric screwdriver I've tried has been slower, more annoying, and significantly more expensive. 

The fact that you can say that $100 wouldn't pay for their cost and say so very confidently is pretty telling. How do you know how much it would cost? How do you know how many would sell? 

Linus could market anything btw. 

Founders Edition GTX970

12 minutes ago, Hellreaver said:

The fact that you can say that $100 wouldn't pay for their cost and say so very confidently is pretty telling. How do you know how much it would cost? How do you know how many would sell? 

Never say never, but if you already had to "bump" this thread twice. doesn't really indicate big interest from the community, they are working on a fixed shaft driver. so maybe as they expand their "mainstream" type tools, they will branch out into more niche tools. it does sound like a cool product, but personally, I don't have much interest in getting one. 

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

On 5/22/2023 at 1:21 PM, Razercake said:

Never say never, but if you already had to "bump" this thread twice. doesn't really indicate big interest from the community, they are working on a fixed shaft driver. so maybe as they expand their "mainstream" type tools, they will branch out into more niche tools. it does sound like a cool product, but personally, I don't have much interest in getting one. 

I understand. I'm not saying it's a guaranteed 50 million unit seller, but if linus hasn't used one I think he'd be impressed. Hopefully the community would be too. 

Founders Edition GTX970

10 hours ago, Hellreaver said:

I understand. I'm not saying it's a guaranteed 50 million unit seller, but if linus hasn't used one I think he'd be impressed. Hopefully the community would be too. 

Well, took them what? 3 years to finish the ratchet screwdriver ?.
Soo.... atleast another 3 years for a double-drive ratchet i think ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

this is the most hilarious thread lol

I don't see linus putting in the RND for something like this. little to no interest from the community and possible patent issues.

yea no

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

On 5/18/2023 at 9:36 AM, Hellreaver said:

I'm so afraid of losing the last ones I have 

I'm curious, why can't you buy any more of them?  Does no one make them?

9 hours ago, Erioch said:

I'm curious, why can't you buy any more of them?  Does no one make them?

Plenty of people make them, but not this specific design. No idea if it's a patent problem or a craftsman problem. 

I don't think it's a fault of the mechanism - I haven't had any issues with mine yet. 

Founders Edition GTX970

14 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

I wouldn't mind. It's a genuinely useful design if done right and I would love to have them all around the house and in all my vehicles. Feels gross using other screwdrivers. 

Founders Edition GTX970

1 hour ago, Hellreaver said:

Plenty of people make them, but not this specific design. No idea if it's a patent problem or a craftsman problem. 

I don't think it's a fault of the mechanism - I haven't had any issues with mine yet. 

Pretty sure there's plenty of dual-drive / double-drive / double-speed ratcheting screwdrivers out there no ?

59 minutes ago, Hellreaver said:

I wouldn't mind. It's a genuinely useful design if done right and I would love to have them all around the house and in all my vehicles. Feels gross using other screwdrivers. 

Eh well, seems pretty niche market to me.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to tell a good one apart from mediocre ones for sure, never used decent ratcheting screwdriver before. Too expensive for my taste.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

On 5/26/2023 at 5:14 PM, Poinkachu said:

If it took 3 years to do ratchet. Double ratchet will take 6 years obviously 🤣 That's twice as many ratchet!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!