The bicycle thread

YellowJersey

Seems like there's interest for talk about bicycles. So go nuts!

I got out for my first ride of the year a couple of days ago. 63km in three hours and thirty-five minutes. Not bad after having been largely a couch potato for the last nine months. My bike for the last nine years has been a Giant TCX-1 cyclocross, but I use it primarily as a road bike.

I bought a cyclocross because I was doing the Tour Arctic (Vancouver to Inuvik) and needed something that I could put big knobby tyres on for the Dempster Highway (aka, the 800km dirt "road" between Dawson City, Yukon and Inuvik, NWT. I should have bought bigger tyres, as we had 5/8 days of rain, which meant the road just turned to mush, particularly on the NWT side. But I made it to Inuvik. I then did the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Japster a few days later as I wasn't quite yet ready to return to society.

I've also done Victoria, BC to St. John's, Newfoundland, but that's a story for another day.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I have said this before, but bought new brakes for my bike. Some Avid BB7s. Haven't arrived yet but really looking forward to them.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'm a bit less adventurous, but I bought an eBike (2019 Radpower Rover) last December for the purpose of commuting to work. 

Before the whole let's hoard the TP virus happened, I lost about 25 lbs. 

Sweet, bike thread! 

I just got back from a 28mi/2800ft ride in bay area hills. Feeling pretty happy and demolished a burrito for celebration. Since the start of the year I've lost ~25lbs, most of which was during virus lockdown and indoor trainer use. Down 42 lbs from when I bought my bike last year, more to go though.

Just bought an ebike for commuting and recovery rides as well, once I can go back to the office that is.

20 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I'm a bit less adventurous, but I bought an eBike (2019 Radpower Rover) last December for the purpose of commuting to work. 

Before the whole let's hoard the TP virus happened, I lost about 25 lbs. 

I am thinking about converting my bike to electric with a TSDZ2, but 1. it's expensive and 2. my parents are "worried about other drivers" (yes, that is their reasoning for not wanting me to get an ebike; the same "other drivers" that there would be when I am on a normal bike).

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I am thinking about converting my bike to electric with a TSDZ2, but 1. it's expensive and 2. my parents are "worried about other drivers" (yes, that is their reasoning for not wanting me to get an ebike; the same "other drivers" that there would be when I am on a normal bike).

I looked at converting one of my bikes to an ebike. The conversion kits cost nearly as much as just getting brand new ebike.

16 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I looked at converting one of my bikes to an ebike. The conversion kits cost nearly as much as just getting brand new ebike.

Yes, but from the research I have done, it's the same price if you either want a mediocre bike with a weak motor (prebuilt) or whatever bike you have now (good or not) with a much more powerful motor and potentially bigger battery, no speed limiter, etc.

Man I want a TSDZ2 so bad. Went on a nice ride today in some woods nearby and it would've been nice to be able to just mash the throttle instead of walky-ride up the hill because I can't get enough speed to get going.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yes, but from the research I have done, it's the same price if you either want a mediocre bike with a weak motor (prebuilt) or whatever bike you have now (good or not) with a much more powerful motor and potentially bigger battery, no speed limiter, etc.

Man I want a TSDZ2 so bad. Went on a nice ride today in some woods nearby and it would've been nice to be able to just mash the throttle instead of walky-ride up the hill because I can't get enough speed to get going.

Cheater :P

When I rode Victoria to St. John's, one of our guys did the math and we climbed the equivalent of sea leave to the summit of Everest three times.

I just have an FX-1 right now, but I'm looking to get into more trail biking.

1 minute ago, YellowJersey said:

Cheater :P

When I rode Victoria to St. John's, one of our guys did the math and we climbed the equivalent of sea leave to the summit of Everest three times.

Heh, trust me, I enjoy uphill, but I don't enjoy having to lift my bike to get over tree roots and then having to walk up the hill because there is no space to start up. Know what I mean?

Some pics of the place I was at today:

Spoiler

wHGSNksh415A9nlsWLjdp1G6oZAx0zjcxgXd2hh9HrvTvMZG9FiaViYnbf60jaw6lZb4P3gq6HeQC2et9U82DPgEC_KPbwVzyToAcE2BbvLycI1Dwdn4a7Zqn8Il8UrfXcmj2tgKFee3t2ISKldnDBESLYGlq9Knsn4QbXSYKCK3TWxtLextShP6S_da1XyPnEWgNVyOP2oZjS4PXL3iljMRObzxcN5Cy9GOG2PByhQmDE_5SxDvwVpJLOXsioUu43sl_abXAuo1ExVl0WmAKFiwXUKbEGyem6_pmLRBp6pBBI4Jn2tJusQUH5IxoiR6UjBUAprT2QMtfeRodxuIyGUkUsRffAIzlvU3PZ8MhHbjTAUtxZnh-fdnYMkBpnsHZJbA-t1fm1nOAwjQ8aSqUBgQB-b0dT431NRzlanv2v3GcnTWOHN6H-O6DBiOxbXss_o5KAqkd1d0oXXvLMu9i1nyM_g8J-leYbGG5tdXltfFkip8AW13GZWWD0zAqRZFoCa_KTh19qHnBrSk58yvJNwR2osZW0Fe_mr5QD_hG-KiP6SXlMdBg8BCtt9zwSG0IfRTKYvxFc5iwSEaVL92fmiSrIKDoCNBwRV4dv1c6nRHO17yCq-R6umHvcM-s78ITm02eW_oda6AJVKpdln9X8P-_pvHQyt9gQ13bFR-XZOe4ZcOi9il2uF3isI9V3g=w1792-h1008-no?authuser=0

2sfmPCfrc6AVl2XskuT6ze7rtgcULLB6yfOCs-PnzpYGIF9no-K0EatZvnMNMfg3aFPRejA2rrnJGmvlKekTe3lTTrt66qrMcOU6ly0g56QviH1voj_EVaRnqpIyUpB7S4BrPMXCKuY7yEyJo9bbdmEBUFZLbwtDfw9pWYx35l8CSRGghPCGxvK_tJS1-g7leTH51wNftx1ozNiDqpXBRJP-G3cPmlq-qo91BX2NzYYFY06DBKCzeBKUZ6tuarspx3BRjP_Ea-ICiSDNcUC6g_g3Vo1MBZYbZ4yTCwYgPYBfWK3tcNg6otQZxOTk3o-db5yfm8uw0eosoBzNHwJuLdluMKf6winvivapIZSfSXUWS0r7o4pI89PGv6jVvsdkkOyIWUqbpyKnhjy4YuxzOeBnq47ZzO0DYojS9z_gqP_3WOk173U0V9gghWMc1J8CFiIPWPcXc1zWPj88NI_StDUr8I1cVODnZz8Qsh2IqRSEzrAVAfRTY_00mbYRHzwS2Q2IrshKuqkSFaJpWLBD-DqPN45HHzPxr3RUksh4KJlQXl6NpiwC953kNUMy5Hs0_IW9U-fbJRz4_nxAViHV5El0vbLh27_3KIrj3KnajJ0Gfi5yBdneEDFX0tduUGXCDUruvW6a7keC4by44nMKp3-jDbS6anApJJdPxMoo9ld-MYmArBstMICtf8MvbMc=w567-h1008-no?authuser=0

T1uDFHj6ZhOjzWoF-OPFPDIDqac0etLVMy35LOtJRPhlV4nZArubAeZ33LHhPCqRg2sPExhdBkPmvrEfghjsPC700-5fi45RpV6V0MtcCEfWm_IBctbWTEcvyW098QaFsjPJ8gb3oYEkEGQCmXa3RieZ2zGljbWrHFDfW1r_IG7Ad-lh7prMEnLMHqxUrGe9tFJ64r0mWjrhe1Gq3Ieam0Phspy4DQX2JD4vHRd91VUowoiQ6Scv8XWp67tBagNz_prKKUGGXs66DuCX8SvphdmKujzgyYC6Yul7pZfF-aOFCG5mgMzCeaRLDDgs99_J15V7az_HpRwbiVXQ237baSaEH8-8GAcNsSgWK9FcUFwCZxcWT4N8_b84SZFhmk5D2lMjjYZYX1qgZyIP-Oq04CKTV8E8yYXlmUl2XdrR-tB4_EOnV_5YSZRVI_kU0p1CeX6AtgcRx3vQbF54YQGGydjIL3XfgSPFgT3CJ_YSQkS4btubSX-X_HTVMkG2VFJX6B8ROCkuuS7spO7D43pIaVNjleWN-Apz8T1Aj03DKoZCZtFEOh0FUu-yhbdBHhp-hf2QG6k87dgb_6X69JAakEDyFsRaEsRGpDfY7F_nhbKMogi-NZqIC3bDZHDKGJ1a8u7OU87NbrQS7-l94tFKE8vBhOLNsIlpAV82fHQPfEjWy1F-xhDtgVfFlHtKvJI=w1792-h1008-no?authuser=0

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

On 5/31/2020 at 2:58 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

I have said this before, but bought new brakes for my bike. Some Avid BB7s. Haven't arrived yet but really looking forward to them.

Why the BB7? What about the TRP Spyre?

I've been using the BB7 for years. Looking if there is something better but still uses cable.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

Why the BB7? What about the TRP Spyre?

I've been using the BB7 for years. Looking if there is something better but still uses cable.

BB7 was cheaper in all the places I looked. I was going to go with hydraulics but didn't want to deal with having to bleed the brakes and stuff. Plus, even if I just wanted to route the lines properly through all the holes and stuff on my bike, I'd have to bleed them since I'd have to remove the line from the caliper (or handle).

Also, everyone I asked recommended BB7.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

BB7 was cheaper in all the places I looked. I was going to go with hydraulics but didn't want to deal with having to bleed the brakes and stuff. Plus, even if I just wanted to route the lines properly through all the holes and stuff on my bike, I'd have to bleed them since I'd have to remove the line from the caliper (or handle).

Also, everyone I asked recommended BB7.

I read TRP Spyre has better modulation and stronger braking power. Although at no point I feel there isn't enough brake from BB7. One problem I have with BB7 is during winter there is load of salt on the road. And eventually the salt works it way into the brake and seize up the adjustment dials. These are my second pairs on my bike now. And I'll take the brake apart, clean and rebuild them every six months.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

I read TRP Spyre has better modulation and stronger braking power. Although at no point I feel there isn't enough brake from BB7. One problem I have with BB7 is during winter there is load of salt of the road. And eventually the salt works it way into the brake and seize up the adjustment dials. There are my second pairs on my bike now. And I'll take the brake apart, clean and rebuild them every six months.

Well, guess I will see. I don't need a ton of braking power as I weigh very little and have a fairly light bike. Can't be worse than my current brakes with tiny pads that are worn out and fad a LOT when it's hot outside and I'm biking hard.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I need to start doing this every day, 10 mile rides in under an hour.

I'm on specialized mountain bike modified with rear rack and bar ends. tires are also changed to a hybrid road trail. With saddle bags I can easy get a weeks worth of food for me.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 5/30/2020 at 10:19 PM, YellowJersey said:

Seems like there's interest for talk about bicycles. So go nuts!

I got out for my first ride of the year a couple of days ago. 63km in three hours and thirty-five minutes. Not bad after having been largely a couch potato for the last nine months. My bike for the last nine years has been a Giant TCX-1 cyclocross, but I use it primarily as a road bike.

I bought a cyclocross because I was doing the Tour Arctic (Vancouver to Inuvik) and needed something that I could put big knobby tyres on for the Dempster Highway (aka, the 800km dirt "road" between Dawson City, Yukon and Inuvik, NWT. I should have bought bigger tyres, as we had 5/8 days of rain, which meant the road just turned to mush, particularly on the NWT side. But I made it to Inuvik. I then did the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Japster a few days later as I wasn't quite yet ready to return to society.

I've also done Victoria, BC to St. John's, Newfoundland, but that's a story for another day.

I'm not much of a cycling nut. However I enjoy travelling by bike. I plan to do a six months, self support trip in 2023. Cycling from Bishkek, Kyrgystan, through Pamirs highway and then head west back to Europe.

73km and 525m of climbing today. All in just under four hours.

I have a KTM Ultra 27.5 for commuting with Maxxis Adern tyres. For more recreational rides I have a Trek Roscoe 8 with 34t chainring. Quite a lot of fun on the tracks and jumps. 

Have gotten into Strava a little while on lockdown, top 9 thank you. Those dam e-bikers getting the top scores but I’m pretty close now. 

Right now I’m focusing on getting my strength back in my upper body to get the high scores.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

I have a KTM Ultra 27.5 for commuting with Maxxis Adern tyres. For more recreational rides I have a Trek Roscoe 8 with 34t chainring. Quite a lot of fun on the tracks and jumps. 

Have gotten into Strava a little while on lockdown, top 9 thank you. Those dam e-bikers getting the top scores but I’m pretty close now. 

Right now I’m focusing on getting my strength back in my upper body to get the high scores.

My preferred tyres are Continental Gatorskins (28s). Ran over a bunch of glass earlier from what looked like a smashed wind screen or something and no punctures!

12 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

My preferred tyres are Continental Gatorskins (28s). Ran over a bunch of glass earlier from what looked like a smashed wind screen or something and no punctures!

That’s not bad at all for a road bike. Those high pressures sure don’t help with punctures either. I was so surprised when I found out road bikes had around 100 PSI. 

I think my Adernt do pretty well for winter and keep their grip over frost or water, anything. Although not quite braking on black ice 🧊. They take 60PSI so it’s quite firm and not bad on the road - although road bikes are still a bit quicker than my KTM. 

Probably my favourite thing since I got better tyres is overtaking on (gravel/dirt) tracks in the gutter or off the track. Hard tails really go fast anywhere.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

That’s not bad at all for a road bike. Those high pressures sure don’t help with punctures either. I was so surprised when I found out road bikes had around 100 PSI. 

I think my Adernt do pretty well for winter and keep their grip over frost or water, anything. Although not quite braking on black ice 🧊. They take 60PSI so it’s quite firm and not bad on the road - although road bikes are still a bit quicker than my KTM. 

Probably my favourite thing since I got better tyres is overtaking on (gravel/dirt) tracks in the gutter or off the track. Hard tails really go fast anywhere.

I used to ride 18s when I was riding across Canada. While it's nice when the roads are smooth and clear of debris, they puncture too easily and it's way too easy to get stuck in a crack in the road or something; forget about riding on anything but paved road, too. That's why I switched to the 28s.

I didn't like cycling in NZ that much. The road surface is a lot rougher than what I'm used to and road resistance becomes really noticeable. Bushwalking, though, NZ is world class and a photographer's paradise.

For anyone interested in organised cycle touring in Canada, I highly recommend Cycle Canada https://www.cyclecanada.com/  I did the Tour du Canada (Victoria to St. John's) and the Tour Arctic (Vancouver to Inuvik) through them. It's a bit Spartan; you're camping almost the entire way, but I'd love to do another trip with them.

I had a 2017 Diamondback Sorrento 27.5 in which was stolen over a year ago... I still think about it everyday ㅠㅠ

o?

40 minutes ago, Peterwoo802 said:

I had a 2017 Diamondback Sorrento 27.5 in which was stolen over a year ago... I still think about it everyday ㅠㅠ

Rip. Bike theft is a huge problem here were I live. Both my mom's and my dad's bikes got stolen.

Just hope that whoever stole it crashed it while riding it, lol.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I currently ride with my friends. It nice to bike around and to be out doors

I have a revel 8 liter for water, tool's and where I keep my n95 mask (I only wear my mask indoors)

I ride on a nishiki pueblo I think its a 2016 model and a schwin hybrid road bike  

I crashed on the schwin on Sunday fixed it up yesterday (still can't shift my right shiftier because of my wrist being sore)

go back on my status updates to see my aftermath

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang