This $65 Idea Raised $2M on Kickstarter...

Plouffe

Would you play to flip a stacked monitor configuration on its head? Are you willing to sacrifice the screen you already have? Apparently a lot of people would and are, since Mobile Pixels raised a ton of money on Kickstarter to bring us the Gemios and Geminos X, a double monitor, stand, and dock combo. D

Buy an ASUS PA248QV ProArt Monitor: https://geni.us/t27NMyf

Buy a VIVO Dual Monitor Desk Mount: https://geni.us/91HnSb

Buy an Ergotron LX Vertical Stacking Dual Monitor Arm: https://geni.us/YHMRp3M

Check out the Mobile Pixels Geminos: https://lmg.gg/ZnauH

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

actually pretty cool 

I don't personally use a stacked monitor but its cool

For graphic designers i see the appeal  

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

sick.

Edited by leadeater
Remove extra blank lines

sup dawg

Screenshot_2023-04-30-02-44-26-851_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.4be84dfb7f40d610401e0fe68aa56c7a.jpg

I would love to meet a graphic designer who produced music and an executives who's job is to stream game..

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

I have stacked monitors at work, and because the top monitor can't get high enough I had to fence off the visible area with FancyZones so I don't have to stand up to see the bottom of full-screen monitors. I'm that kind of lazy!

Dennis's chaotic dragon energy makes for great sponsor spots, too.

That monitor is way too expensive. You might as well run a 4k monitor in portrait.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

i might have overlooked it, but where does the "$65" come into this?

also - that dennis integration is somewhere between hilareous and "the exactly right amount of cluttered to be brilliant".

i'm torn between liking the ridiculousness of it.. or just preferring the segue to our boring sponsor read.

I have a 4 monitor setup. 27" IPS LED on the bottom left, two matching 24" VA LED on the top, and a 16.5" IPS LED on the bottom right.

My 27" monitor was always angled slightly down, and the 24" above it was really angled down. I decided to go more 'flat' on the bottom, and less down angle on the top display, and wow, I love it.

The 16.5" is in a clamp, it's actually a portable display that I use with my Steam Deck. :3

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

5 hours ago, Freakwise said:

and an executives who's job is to stream game..

Probably chasing the Bankman-Fried types, but they're too late to the party.

The party that crashed and burned.. And then exploded. 

where do I find that sick LTT Wallpaper used in the video???

I'm just gonna get this mini monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09STFLN9Z/ref=ox_sc_act_title_11?smid=A1D3XK588INFI6&psc=1

Vertical stacked monitors @ 24" suck because of how much you have to croon your head UPWARDS to really see what's on the 2nd monitor. The sheer distance is large...

All I use my 2nd monitor for is monitoring in Reaper (DAW). I may try it for the timeline for editing but probably not. The way things go between monitors just isn't that smooth in the first place and it can be a pain for some games that don't well contain the mouse to the border of the game...

Come on @LinusTech!

You can blame apple for a lot of things but jumping the hate train because a third party product makes a stupid decision?

What they should have done if they wanted a 1 cord solution is to make their own display controller so the two displays identified as one like other manufacturers do with displays that basically are just two (or more) smaller panels stiched together. 

52 minutes ago, Spindel said:

What they should have done if they wanted a 1 cord solution is to make their own display controller so the two displays identified as one like other manufacturers do with displays that basically are just two (or more) smaller panels stiched together. 

That only works well when you want them to act as a single display, this you do not. They are two independent displays and should identify like that.

And while I agree it's a stupid choice, in such that they want Apple users to be able to use the product. Sure if you ignore them then not a problem, other than the product not working for them and having to deal with complaints from anyone who buys anyway and it doesn't work properly on a Mac 🤷‍♂️

For the price and the other options in the video, the entire thing is bad.

P.S. Professional monitors do have DisplayPort out and can daisy chain (MST), that Apple annoyance is very much a thing. My Dell U3014 for example has DisplayPort Out (MST), can't use it with a Mac and must be individually cabled if I were to use two. It's not that annoying, just sucks that if Apple doesn't utilize the feature in any of their products/accessories they won't implement the feature. 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

That only works well when you want them to act as a single display, this you do not. They are two independent displays and should identify like that.

And while I agree it's a stupid choice, in such that they want Apple users to be able to use the product. Sure if you ignore them then not a problem, other than the product not working for them and having to deal with complaints from anyone who buys anyway and it doesn't work properly on a Mac 🤷‍♂️

For the price and the other options in the video, the entire thing is bad.

P.S. Professional monitors do have DisplayPort out and can daisy chain (MST), that Apple annoyance is very much a thing. My Dell U3014 for example has DisplayPort Out (MST), can't use it with a Mac and must be individually cabled if I were to use two. It's not that annoying, just sucks that if Apple doesn't utilize the feature in any of their products/accessories they won't implement the feature. 

A lot of ultra wides can be set to act as two different displays (don’t know if this works with mac), this surley must be doable with this product if you make your own controller.

And anyway there isn’t functionally that much difference between having it identify as one large display or two individual displays. Actually the only case where this being one display, where it might cuase an issue, is gaming if you don’t accept running windowed. 

29 minutes ago, Spindel said:

And anyway there isn’t functionally that much difference between having it identify as one large display or two individual displays. Actually the only case where this being one display, where it might cuase an issue, is gaming if you don’t accept running windowed. 

Yea there is, if it's one display then any app you full screen will span both, that's literally horrible in that kind of setup. Joined display panels that have been done and only ever made sense were two panels in one display. Not two literally different displays.

Using software to split them back up isn't always going to work well, especially on Windows. The proper solution is DisplayPort MST. I have used the Windows feature for display splitting and the Dell software that comes with their monitors, both are worse than treating the displays actually being different displays (aka actually having different displays). And if you are going to present two hardware displays back to the OS that'll create two display streams and you're back to needing MST.

P.S. Display Fusion is not free

Apple lacking this feature is a valid criticism, I do however agree for this product it's not really that applicable since I couldn't possibly recommend it. I could however recommend many not Apple displays that are not Thunderbolt and have MST Out and would be much nicer using a single cable out of the computer.

Apple lacks DisplayPort MST, it's not that big of a deal but it's still a thing.

42 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea there is, if it's one display then any app you full screen will span both, that's literally horrible in that kind of setup. Joined display panels that have been done and only ever made sense were two panels in one display. Not two literally different displays.

This was probably a lack of imagination from my side.

I have hardly ran anything (outside of videos and games) in full screen since 4:3 displays stopped being a thing. And in my anecdotal observations it’s usually only older people or people with lacking computer skills that do run stuff in full screen more than ocasionally.

With that said I do understand that it this might also differ between different occupations. I work in engineering so what I said is mostly observations from the engineering occupation.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:11 AM, Spindel said:

This was probably a lack of imagination from my side.

I have hardly ran anything (outside of videos and games) in full screen since 4:3 displays stopped being a thing. And in my anecdotal observations it’s usually only older people or people with lacking computer skills that do run stuff in full screen more than ocasionally.

With that said I do understand that it this might also differ between different occupations. I work in engineering so what I said is mostly observations from the engineering occupation.

The worst part of Apple's behavior here is the hardware totally supports it. Intel Macbooks running Windows can totally use MST. They just won't implement it in MacOS because.. I dunno... go eff yourself?

19 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

The worst part of Apple's behavior here is the hardware totally supports it. Intel Macbooks running Windows can totally use MST. They just won't implement it in MacOS because.. I dunno... go eff yourself?

For M1 devices does the hardware actually support it? Admitedly it would be that Apple designed it not to support it.

At least if people in the Asahi Linux community on reddit are correct, Apple explicitly designed the M1 chip and M2 chip to only have one internal and one external display controller. Is it possible that the lack of display controllers prevents the single cable solution that you would like? Presumably as Apple decided it didn't want customers to be allowed to do it?

@LinusTech Apart from the hype, how relevant is Apple, really? They do mobile (phones,tablets) and graphical stuff for peeps with way more money then sense, never mind taste (but their server stuff as you've shown recently is dead for a reason!), and users d@mn well know they're buying into a closed eco-system designed to syphon off as much of their money as Apple can possibly get away with, but is "vertical integration" still a selling point these days?

I know several LMG staff fanboi (or -grl) their Apple workstations and in media production they have a place in the chain, but is it really essential?

Sarah & MACaddress enter the chat 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

HAHA, I already have this monitor setup. It was NOT hard to replicate and becaue my lower monitor is a 21:9 aspect ratio, it allows for a lot of window space without needing the raise up my gaming monitor super high. I even did what Gemios did by flipping one upside down, but my lower monitor is flipped. So its chin to chin. So there is a gap, but its less. I find this setup perfectly functional and I think it cost me $400 bucks last year.

Main Monitor: LG 32GN63T-B 32'' Ultragear QHD 165Hz HDR10 Monitor

Lower Monitor: LG 25UM57 25-Inch

Monitor Arm: HUANUO Dual Monitor Arm Stand

20230501_125100.jpg

20230501_125741.jpg

Weirdly enough, I've found that MacOS is better suited to one display anyways, maybe two max. If you were a video editor or something of the like, maybe you'd want more, but this monitor combo cleary is not designed for them, given its various shortcomings in that regard. I constantly use the desktop management on my macbook air when working on stuff like Unity (which requires Unity hub to be open, visual studio code to be open, and safari open to look up solutions to problems), typing research papers, or other multi-app/multi-window use cases. Apple also seems to optimize the UI for one display as well.

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

@LinusTech Apart from the hype, how relevant is Apple, really? They do mobile (phones,tablets) and graphical stuff for peeps with way more money then sense, never mind taste (but their server stuff as you've shown recently is dead for a reason!), and users d@mn well know they're buying into a closed eco-system designed to syphon off as much of their money as Apple can possibly get away with, but is "vertical integration" still a selling point these days?

I know several LMG staff fanboi (or -grl) their Apple workstations and in media production they have a place in the chain, but is it really essential?

Sarah & MACaddress enter the chat 😉

Lmao. Find me a 16" laptop with as much power as the M1 Max (or M2 Max) chip that doesn't even need to turn a fan on under most workloads, and only barely makes noise under intense loads. Oh, and make sure it has as much battery life as the Apple option. Don't forget to find something with a screen that matches the MacBook screen. I'll wait. 

I don't really care for iOS devices (they're not bad, they're just not my preference), but for a laptop computer I'll gladly pay a bit more for such a nice piece of hardware. And believe it or not there are people out there who use Macs without constantly giving Apple money. I paid Apple for the computer itself and for AppleCare (since I use this laptop on the go a lot). I don't pay for iCloud or anything like that.

I also own a 13" M1 MacBook Pro, and that's what I'm using to type this comment. I've got programs running in the background, I'm typing this reply in Chrome, and I'm connected to an external display, and right now the average CPU temperature is 23°. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

As nice as the efficiency of modern Macs may be, the 2 display limit of the M1 and M2 chips did put off a lot of users who then had to make a choice to either downgrade their setups, keep their old Intel Macs or switch to Windows or Chrome.  Even the cheapest Chromebooks available now can support up to 3 monitors in addition to the laptop's own screen, and the demand for laptop+multi-monitor setups is high enough that we and our top competitors have all added mounts supporting this to our product lines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 2:41 PM, LinusTech said:

Is someone too lazy to make it work anyways?

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

I plan to upgrade within a few months to a proper computer.

1 hour ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Is someone too lazy to make it work anyways?

they already did by installing windows or gnu/linux. 
I'm surprised to hear apple did not support MST on intel laptops, that is megacringe to even think about on late models. 

MST support will likely be stripped in the provided driver, and the workaround would be to figure out how to add it to the driver package, and ultimately get the laptop to run an unsigned driver. Not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

they already did by installing windows or gnu/linux. 
I'm surprised to hear apple did not support MST on intel laptops, that is megacringe to even think about on late models. 

MST support will likely be stripped in the provided driver, and the workaround would be to figure out how to add it to the driver package, and ultimately get the laptop to run an unsigned driver. Not going to happen. 

I mean linus

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

I plan to upgrade within a few months to a proper computer.