YouTube Made Me Review This Budget GPU

Plouffe

YouTube continues to tell us that we have a content gap when it comes to NVIDIA's GT 1030, so we wanted to answer an age-old question: just how much performance do you get for a hundred dollars on a brand new card these days?

Buy a Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 DDR5 OC GPU: https://geni.us/rtBDe

Shop GeForce GT 1030 DDR5 GPUs on Ebay: https://lmg.gg/RSKGc

Buy a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti: https://geni.us/OfrVye

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

the GT1030 had it's place...

that place was where you dont have PCIe power, dont have room for a 1050Ti (there are none single-slot and low-profile), and the iGPU is a solid hunk of suck on a very old platform.

having that said.. it's 5 years old.. both sides have better options at this point. i own a GT1030, it's in a media PC where the iGPU *actually* struggles with youtube, and the CPU cant even max out a 1030, let alone a 1050Ti... so 1030 was the best option among the stuff that was on the market... but i did spend 100 bucks to upgrade a pc worth about 100 bucks.. how that math works is that replacing the entire thing was more than 200 bucks.

Where is AMD Igpu that alone should be able to crush gt 1030

image.png.d5005d783cfafe2061883c293c137038.png

never thought it will happen this quickly 

On 4/12/2023 at 7:15 AM, Gokul_P said:

The Compared products is like comparaing igpus without including vega.

One month short of 6 years old for the DDR5 version.

Launch date: May 17, 2017

The one MASSIVE Gotcha is that ddr4 versions exist that are like half the performance. I know its brought up at the end as an after thought, but how many people will get to that point

The GT 1030 would be fine-ish if you just need something to shove out a display image, say an old CPU that doesn't have onboard graphics, like a server. But then for that price, you could find literally anything that can do the job for less. And amongst the onboard graphics of some more modern, high-spec chips, I wouldn't be surprised if it starts getting out performed by them. That Nvidia would keep releasing this thing and ripping-off users is quite telling. Especially given they have a confusing name between the GDDR5 version and the DDR3 version

Off-topic slightly but I noticed this on Linus's arm in the vid: Does he have a tattoo?

Screenshot 2023-04-17 183251.png

4 minutes ago, h91 said:

The GT 1030 would be fine-ish if you just need something to shove out a display image, say an old CPU that doesn't have onboard graphics, like a server. But then for that price, you could find literally anything that can do the job for less. And amongst the onboard graphics of some more modern, high-spec chips, I wouldn't be surprised if it starts getting out performed by them. That Nvidia would keep releasing this thing and ripping-off users is quite telling. Especially given they have a confusing name between the GDDR5 version and the DDR3 version

Off-topic slightly but I noticed this on Linus's arm in the vid: Does he have a tattoo?

It’s a kids temporary tattoo

7 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

Yeah big oversight not including the AMD APUs in the comparison in an attempt to find any positive light for the 1030.

well ryzen 5 5600g is a 2021 apu not 2017apu for example ryzen 5 1600x or 1600

6 minutes ago, h91 said:

the scenario i think of is you have an old htpc and you have problem with playing new video on it , the card can help you decode h265 files that your old htcp may fail to do so

My ancient ATi Radeon HD 6970 performs a lot better than the GT 1030...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1. Not every graphics card is for gaming

2. Genshin has a 60 fps cap so measuring at 1080p very low is WRONG

testz.png

1 minute ago, CyberneticTitan said:

Why does the year matter?

They included the i3 12100, and could have included the 5600G as well.

because of the use of the gpu.

nobody put it in a new system. the card is used by people who had an old system and want to gave it a new life , mainly in old HTPCs with weak onboard gpu that has no room or power for newer gpus. the card being single slots and can be used in low profile cases , help many of those systems. 

you can be certain many of those systems could not decode 4k or even a full hd h265 video 

21 minutes ago, JEskandari said:

because of the use of the gpu.

nobody put it in a new system. the card is used by people who had an old system and want to gave it a new life , mainly in old HTPCs with weak onboard gpu that has no room or power for newer gpus. the card being single slots and can be used in low profile cases , help many of those systems. 

you can be certain many of those systems could not decode 4k or even a full hd h265 video 

If i am not mistaken the GT 1030 is more powerful than the Vega 7 in the 5600G - both are significantly less powerful than my ancient ATi Radeon HD 6970.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

To a degree, GPUs like these are useful in some applications.
I myself sometimes use an EN210 (it has an "amazing" 16 Quda cores running at 589 MHz + 512MB of VRAM), that in comparison to the GT1030 isn't even worth while considering as a "graphics card". But when I work on computers and just need a display output it sure beats not having a display output at all.

However, the low profile GPU scene really needs more cards. (mainly in height restricted cases, like my 2U server case. Doesn't have to be the highest end card of course, but better than bottom of the barrel please....)

Likewise would it be nice if GPU vendors went a little closer to the 75 W PCIe limit for these low end cards. (Even if it were to have "great bang per buck", perhaps even the best performance/dollar, it would still be a mostly potato-ish card. It wouldn't eat sales of higher end hardware, not even in the server space where parallel workloads are king. Just putting anything in a slot costs money as far as labor costs go, not to mention volumetric costs, so installing a $100 GPU is fairly cost ineffective in the server space compared to a $20 000 one with 10x the performance.)

Cards like this do have a place on the market. But simple shipping, handling and marketing costs alone adds meaningfully to the price. (if that costs 20 dollars per card, then for a $50 card it leaves a lot less money left for the hardware compared to a $110 card that effectively has 3x the hardware budget, since shipping, handling and marketing wouldn't be majorly different for this more expensive card. So with this in mind, these low end cards are honestly a bit amazing that they even exist.)

8 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

To a degree, GPUs like these are useful in some applications.
I myself sometimes use an EN210 (it has an "amazing" 16 Quda cores running at 589 MHz + 512MB of VRAM), that in comparison to the GT1030 isn't even worth while considering as a "graphics card". But when I work on computers and just need a display output it sure beats not having a display output at all.

However, the low profile GPU scene really needs more cards. (mainly in height restricted cases, like my 2U server case. Doesn't have to be the highest end card of course, but better than bottom of the barrel please....)

Likewise would it be nice if GPU vendors went a little closer to the 75 W PCIe limit for these low end cards. (Even if it were to have "great bang per buck", perhaps even the best performance/dollar, it would still be a mostly potato-ish card. It wouldn't eat sales of higher end hardware, not even in the server space where parallel workloads are king. Just putting anything in a slot costs money as far as labor costs go, not to mention volumetric costs, so installing a $100 GPU is fairly cost ineffective in the server space compared to a $20 000 one with 10x the performance.)

Cards like this do have a place on the market. But simple shipping, handling and marketing costs alone adds meaningfully to the price. (if that costs 20 dollars per card, then for a $50 card it leaves a lot less money left for the hardware compared to a $110 card that effectively has 3x the hardware budget, since shipping, handling and marketing wouldn't be majorly different for this more expensive card. So with this in mind, these low end cards are honestly a bit amazing that they even exist.)

A single slot 750 Ti or HD 7850 would be a much better option than the GT 1030.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

My ancient ATi Radeon HD 6970 performs a lot better than the GT 1030...

And it only uses roughly 7 times more power! Amazing!

MtBSggE.png

This is a modern 30W GPU that, despite being able to run some games on it's time, was NEVER intended to be a gaming GPU. You can't just compare it with a 250W monstrosity. Some people just need the CPU rawpower and dgaf about the GPU, they just need a display output. Cards like this or the GT 710 are good fit for these people.

Btw, the DDR4 version literally halves the performance of this card despite having a very similar price to it's GDDR5 counterpart. It was (to an extent, still is) one of the biggest NVidia scams out there.

Made an account just to post this. The amd rx580 this video recommends and is linked in the description is a Chinese remanufacture using used gpu and ram chips on a new board. these cards often don't run nearly as fast as a legitimate 580, and some of them even have malware in their drivers. including cards 51rsc has sold, craft computing has a good video on this. Easy mistake to make but they should probably remove that listing and recommendation I can imagine it could lead to a couple of people being scammed

3 minutes ago, Slipperywhenwett said:

these cards often don't run nearly as fast as a legitimate 580

True, They use crap VRMs so the card can't pull as much power as the average RX 580.

3 hours ago, Gokul_P said:

image.png.d5005d783cfafe2061883c293c137038.png

The iGPU in the R5 2400G was about on par as well? I remember seeing videos about that, basically just roasting the GT 1030 for being about as good as an iGPU.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

"Man, there's so many games you can play without a high-end GPU. Buying a top tier gaming PC seems kind of unnecessary." ~Linus

Exactly.

This is something that took me way too long to understand and take even further, "why the hell are you wasting your time on the newest P2W microtransaction nightmare that you don't even really enjoy as a game?" Go and play one of the thousands of games that has been made and are at least million times better. After getting this my enjoyment of games skyrocketed and even more when the bar to ditch a game lowered to the level of me seeing a bug within 10 minutes to a AAA game, uninstall and if possible, refund.

4 hours ago, JEskandari said:

no room or power for newer gpus. the card being single slots and can be used in low profile cases , help many of those systems. 

Still relatively useless, there's low profile versions of the 1050, 1050TI and 1650 that will all fit within a similar space that are a much more worthwhile investment. Hell, you can even try to get creative and get a GPU riser to fit a larger card in an SFF system if you want to save some money on getting the LP version of those cards.

Not sure where would be the proper place to mention this:

I have in my NAS one of the infamous Nvidia GT 1030 DDR4 cards.
I'd be happy to lend it to the lab or outright give/sell it to the lab for testing if desired. 

I knew what it was when I bought it. I was reusing a Ryzen 3700x which does not have integrated graphics, and all I needed was the occasional video out if I need to make BIOS changes. If the lab wants to test it, I'm happy to lend it or give/sell it. 

3 hours ago, GravityCop said:

Not sure where would be the proper place to mention this:

I have in my NAS one of the infamous Nvidia GT 1030 DDR4 cards.
I'd be happy to lend it to the lab or outright give/sell it to the lab for testing if desired. 

I knew what it was when I bought it. I was reusing a Ryzen 3700x which does not have integrated graphics, and all I needed was the occasional video out if I need to make BIOS changes. If the lab wants to test it, I'm happy to lend it or give/sell it. 

If they had any plan to test DDR4 Gt 1030 they could bought that from ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Gt+1030+ddr4&_sacat=0 Or from amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-GV-N1030D4-2GL-GeForce-Computer-Graphics/dp/B07C3DWK1Z/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=gt+1030+ddr4&sr=8-3 Its not they cant find one they don't want to