Fan replacement. Thinking about dremelling out the steel guards?

King_PIN

As long as I've been alive my houses have always been dusty and living in the country know it's much worse.  

I also vape and my NAS is in the living room which doesn't help.  

I am replacing the fans in my Qnap NAS and the Qnap expansion unit because they make bearing noises with Noctua NF-A8 and A12's and from all the reading I've been doing it looks like the rear chassis fan guards are quite restrictive.  

Would dremelling the guards out help significantly with exhaust?  

22-107-166-05.jpg

22-107-329_R09.jpg

Likely not. You'd still want to have a fan grill over them anyways unless you want to get bitten by them when moving it or have it chew cables.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

it might help a bit, but not significantly.

if you care about modifying things to improve the cooling situation of your hardware... dont vape near them. ether by moving the device, or by moving the vaping.

vape smoke will cake onto heatsinks and fans like you're very slowly spraying your computer's intake with spray glue.

The grills in the 1st picture don't look that restrictive, but I'm no engineer.

29 minutes ago, manikyath said:

vape smoke will cake onto heatsinks and fans

Yup. Bought a used GPU once, thoroughly cleaned it and it still reaked after a few years of use.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

25 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you care about modifying things to improve the cooling situation of your hardware... dont vape near them. ether by moving the device, or by moving the vaping.

vape smoke will cake onto heatsinks and fans like you're very slowly spraying your computer's intake with spray glue.

stick in another room or in a cupboard...Imagine what its doing to our insides and I'm a traditional smoker so not great:) but I don't trust the vape residue 1 bit....I have bought plenty of pcs both smokers and vapers and by far the worst is the vaped machines..the residue is like a plastic/glue consistancy far worse than nicotine from tobacco 

1 minute ago, aledsav1 said:

stick in another room or in a cupboard...Imagine what its doing to our insides and I'm a traditional smoker so not great:) but I don't trust the vape residue 1 bit....I have bought plenty of pcs both smokers and vapers and by far the worst is the vaped machines..the residue is like a plastic/glue consistancy far worse than nicotine from tobacco 

the residue of vape smoke is basicly just glucose (assuming they dont use harmful additives). the human body can deal with that better than the tar from a cigarette. glucose is a very sticky substance though...

i've heard that cigars, however, are still the absolute worst for your hardware.

Yeah Vapour (Not Smoke) from eliquid is sticky.  I know it.  I'm one of the OG Vapers.  Been vaping for 15 years now.  

No more nicotine I just enjoy it.  

Those grills just looks so restrictive to me.  

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

I get very little Vapour in my electronic equipment.  I have a fan on top of my rack that's on 24/7 that blows most of the Vapour away from it and my tv.  

23 minutes ago, King_PIN said:

Those grills just looks so restrictive to me. 

Back before less restrictive cases were the norm, I used to always cut that stuff out. In fact I still have the a hole saw in the garage for 80mm fans actually. As just a regular fan grille was less restrictive than the way the case came.

I used something like this. (Just first random link as an example, I would shop around, and I just picked 80 mm as an example, not sure what size you need)

cut them out and if you still want the protection buy the wire ones. there the best at like 86% flow or something. a hole being 100%

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/tech-talk/wh_chessis?page=1

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

The top image shows screws for the plate with the fan grills. You could either remove the plate and dremel out the area around the fans, which appear to be larger than the grills, or see if you can find a genuine grill (like a cage) that would be mountable in its place. It'd improve airflow.

For the bottom one, I doubt that the holes are smaller than the fans, but you could cut that out and put in grills instead.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Cut them out, you will see better airflow as well as lower noise.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's