Should I sell my gaming PC before going traveling for a few years?

Seabottom

This is my hardware: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/Seabottom/saved/LQkLJx

It was about 6.000 NZD or 3.800 USD all new.

I'm just worried that when I return to be able to use it, it might not be up to spec of games I'd like to play, and it would be hard to sell as the hardware would be rather old.

I'm going to buy a gaming/productivity laptop overseas and was thinking it was a good idea of funding.

Are my worries valid, or do you think it'll be easy enough to sell in a few years?

5 minutes ago, Seabottom said:

I'm just worried that when I return to be able to use it, it might not be up to spec of games I'd like to play, and it would be hard to sell as the hardware would be rather old.

I'm going to buy a gaming/productivity laptop overseas and was thinking it was a good idea of funding.

Are my worries valid, or do you think it'll be easy enough to sell in a few years?

If you know you're not going to need a pc for a few years your better off selling it just keep your hard drive so when you build a new one you dont need to install everything again

If you need money, just sell the graphics card. Rest of it can be used as a server if you ever decide if you need one.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1. How long are you leaving for?
  2. What's your budget for a laptop, currently?
  3. What games and applications will you be running on the hypothetical, new laptop?

Probably some more questions to ask, but it's hard to answer without knowing more.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

Definitely sell it. 8th gen i7 won't be worth shit in 3 years and 2080 Ti is still worth good money with Hogwarts and The Last of Us shitting on Nvidias 8GB cards.

22 minutes ago, Seabottom said:

Honesty I would not sell it unless you need the money. 

If you look at the specs of my pc, I'm still playing games with that. Most AAA gamas will run, yes medium settings at 1080 but it's not a bad experience. Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Fallout, ATS, etc. In fairness I'll be replacing mine soon but the point is that 2 years is not as long as you think. 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

26 minutes ago, _MIATA_ said:

If you know you're not going to need a pc for a few years your better off selling it just keep your hard drive so when you build a new one you dont need to install everything again

You mean, to keep files, right?  Don't reuse a windows installation in a new system, it's usually a pain to configure to work right again, and it's still usually suboptimal (if it works at all).  You're SOOOO much better off reinstalling windows.  you can still keep all of your files on the drive.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

4 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

You mean, to keep files, right?  Don't reuse a windows installation in a new system, it's usually a pain to configure to work right again, and it's still usually suboptimal (if it works at all).  You're SOOOO much better off reinstalling windows.  you can still keep all of your files on the drive.

+1

And in few years there is new software version of OS and apps anyway. 

Electronics don't age well or appreciate in value. After some years abroad your life may be totally different and you will be a new person. You may play totally different type of games, or none at all. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

26 minutes ago, _MIATA_ said:

I'm definitely keeping the hard drives with all of my game installs and various files, it's a few terabytes worth. But the SSD I'd sell as it's only 250GB. Not sure if I should keep the optane, Intel doesn't make it anymore, but my games go through the loading screens so fast. I just think a 2TB SSD for games is going to be too expensive.

Also, as Queen Chrysalis just said, I think a new Windows install would be so much better regardless, my current install is about 4 years old now and full of random shit.

17 minutes ago, WildDagwood said:
  1. How long are you leaving for?
  2. What's your budget for a laptop, currently?
  3. What games and applications will you be running on the hypothetical, new laptop?

Probably some more questions to ask, but it's hard to answer without knowing more.

I think I'd be leaving for at leas half a year, and if I like it, probably more like 2 or 3 years.

My budget for a new laptop is quite high, I was looking at the Lenovo Legion 7 ones but they're unavailable everywhere. Asus ROG or Dell XSPS is fine with me as well, all I want is something up to date and that can last me another 10 years at least because well, it's a laptop. If you check my profile, I've listed my current laptop specs, and it has definitely outlasted my initial expectations.

Games, literally anything that'd be fun; Cyberpunk, Control, Hogwarts etc. and there will be more outstanding games later. But I want to play at max eye candy settings.

For programs, I'll be running a lot of video and photo editing software, mostly Adobe premiere (don't ask) and GIMP, because photoshop is too hard. So probably heaps of V- and standard ram.

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Definitely sell it. 8th gen i7 won't be worth shit in 3 years and 2080 Ti is still worth good money with Hogwarts and The Last of Us shitting on Nvidias 8GB cards.

That's what I thought too. The 8th gen is working fine just now, but there's no way it'd support an RTX 6000 graphics card or whatever it'll be called. Plus, I wish I could get a few more frames out of my 2080Ti, I just finished playing AC Oddysey and it was always around 80 FPS on maxxed settings. Quite annoying when I have a 100 FPS monitor.

I'd say sell it, now you can get a decent amount of money for it, but in 2 years, probably not.

system out println("Please don't drop it Linus!");

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

Some comic sans because why not

Honestly since the CPU and GPU are already several generations old, I'd probably sell it now while they are still very capable and relevant.

Put the money into a solid gaming laptop, and go on from there.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)