What is your experience with Corsair AIO coolers?

mod3rnnightmar3

Introduction

I just built my first pc and it was a great experienced and everything worked great!... except my Corsair h150i Elite LCD AIO, which was DOA. The pump straight up just would not turn on, so I could only boot the computer for about 4 minutes as a time (don't worry I kept a VERY close eye on the temps using Icue so I didn't harm my 13900k). I have since returned the AIO to Amazon and a new one should be here within the next few days.

A brief explanation of the failure of the AIO...

I am only adding this so you can have some context of the issues and where I am coming from.

When I booted up the pc the AIO LCD would display some cool boot animation. The AIO would then display the coolant temp (which is its default behaviour before the ICUE software is running) except instead of showing the temps, it only displayed "0". after about 1-3 seconds of this it would switch to a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside of it. I could tell the pump wasn't running at all because of the temps I was seeing - which would slowly climb to 100 degrees over 4-10 minutes, or climb rather rapidly under a moderate load and would not come down. I also could not hear the pump at all, and if I put my hand on the AIO LCD, I could feel no vibration (which should present if there is a pump moving inside).

What is your experience with Corsair AIOs?

I have heard some great things about corsair AIOs. It's what made me go with corsair to begin with, but this was unexpected. After hours of troubleshooting, I have not found a single person whose situation matches mine online. This gives me some hope that I just received a lemon and this is not at all a common problem. My understanding is that a AIO pump should last years if cared for and set up properly. 

Just a quick note

I am aware from other posts I've made on this forum that some of the people on here (though not nearly as bad as reddit) seem to be somewhat jaded. If that isn't you then great! But it seems some people just like being negative online, and if that is you and you aren't being reasonable about that fact that sometime crap happens and you just get a lemon, then I probably will not pay much attention to your reply. I don't ask that you filter your thoughts, rather that you use some forethought and are somewhat reasonable about what you say and the feedback you give.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, mod3rnnightmar3 said:

Introduction

I just built my first pc and it was a great experienced and everything worked great!... except my Corsair h150i Elite LCD AIO, which was DOA. The pump straight up just would not turn on, so I could only boot the computer for about 4 minutes as a time (don't worry I kept a VERY close eye on the temps using Icue so I didn't harm my 13900k). I have since returned the AIO to Amazon and a new one should be here within the next few days.

A brief explanation of the failure of the AIO...

I am only adding this so you can have some context of the issues and where I am coming from.

When I booted up the pc the AIO LCD would display some cool boot animation. The AIO would then display the coolant temp (which is its default behaviour before the ICUE software is running) except instead of showing the temps, it only displayed "0". after about 1-3 seconds of this it would switch to a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside of it. I could tell the pump wasn't running at all because of the temps I was seeing - which would slowly climb to 100 degrees over 4-10 minutes, or climb rather rapidly under a moderate load and would not come down. I also could not hear the pump at all, and if I put my hand on the AIO LCD, I could feel no vibration (which should present if there is a pump moving inside).

What is your experience with Corsair AIOs?

I have heard some great things about corsair AIOs. It's what made me go with corsair to begin with, but this was unexpected. After hours of troubleshooting, I have not found a single person whose situation matches mine online. This gives me some hope that I just received a lemon and this is not at all a common problem. My understanding is that a AIO pump should last years if cared for and set up properly. 

Just a quick note

I am aware from other posts I've made on this forum that some of the people on here (though not nearly as bad as reddit) seem to be somewhat jaded. If that isn't you then great! But it seems some people just like being negative online, and if that is you and you aren't being reasonable about that fact that sometime crap happens and you just get a lemon, then I probably will not pay much attention to your reply. I don't ask that you filter your thoughts, rather that you use some forethought and are somewhat reasonable about what you say and the feedback you give.

Thanks!

They aren’t terrible AIOs but can be prone to break sometimes and in my experience and from what I can see on the market it’s better to get something like an arctic aio (which is what I have now) but they’re products are always feature rich (like Noctuas) 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Corsair AIO's are fine mid-grade AIOs.  

I just find them overpriced for what you get.  (But if you're running corsair everything else?  It may be worth it for simplicity.)

The top performing AIOs are:  Arctic, Lian Li, and EKWB

Corsaird, especially the Elite, and the NZXT ones you pay a LOT extra for bling, and not for performance.  

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Corsair AIO's are fine mid-grade AIOs.  

I just find them overpriced for what you get.  (But if you're running corsair everything else?  It may be worth it for simplicity.)

The top performing AIOs are:  Arctic, Lian Li, and EKWB

Corsaird, especially the Elite, and the NZXT ones you pay a LOT extra for bling, and not for performance.  

Ya I noticed they do tend to be quite over priced, especially here in Canada, but like you said I am already running everything corsair and REALLY didn't want to download yet another RGB program... so corsair is was. Sucks but that's the case. If somehow however, This replacement comes and dies or is dead, I'm not getting another corsair AIO.

i would not get i a corsair AIO these days, but i cant rly shit on them either. 

EK and Lian li is top picks for both looks and performance (should be said that EK does not know how to do ARGB...)

Artic does not have argb on their coolers  😞

Corsair, NZXT, gigabyte and asus AIOS = middle of the packs and 100% looks 

cheap and good, cooler master 

and ofc avoid MSI AIO's at all cost 

My previous AIO was a 280mm Corsair from 2016.    (No RGB, other than a small lightup logo on the block)
It ran for well over 6 years, nearly 24/7, without a hitch.  I replaced it a couple months ago, cuz at that point it was probably due.  

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

My previous AIO was a 280mm Corsair from 2016.    (No RGB, other than a small lightup logo on the block)
It ran for well over 6 years, nearly 24/7, without a hitch.  I replaced it a couple months ago, cuz at that point it was probably due.  

That's actually pretty impressive that it lasted 6 years.

16 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Artic does not have argb on their coolers

They do have Arctic Freezer 2 ARGB using their P12 ARGB fans, but theyre rare eggs all around.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

24 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

They do have Arctic Freezer 2 ARGB using their P12 ARGB fans, but theyre rare eggs all around.

yes thats new paint on ugly house,  no argb cooler 😞

I got 12-14 months out of mine before I started to notice higher temps. I used it for 3.5 years on a highly tuned x5690. I gave it to my brother after I was done with it to cool his 7700K.. which it could not do.

If you are ok with replacing them every few years then they are great. But if you weren’t planning on a replacement then they are a bad buy.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

7 hours ago, freeagent said:

I got 12-14 months out of mine before I started to notice higher temps. I used it for 3.5 years on a highly tuned x5690. I gave it to my brother after I was done with it to cool his 7700K.. which it could not do.

If you are ok with replacing them every few years then they are great. But if you weren’t planning on a replacement then they are a bad buy.

Strange that the performance would decrease after 12-14 months... you wouldn't think that there would be any decrease in performance unless either there was stuff growing in your loop or the pump was getting weaker.

Perhaps the thermal paste was old? did you repaste the CPU at all in that 14 months?

1 hour ago, mod3rnnightmar3 said:

did you repaste the CPU at all in that 14 months?

Oh yeah, many times.. that was never a problem. I ran a lot of F@H at the time, and back then CPUs chewed a ton of power. I would fold with the CPU running between 4400-4700MHz, depending on the season 😄

That is why it had a short life 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 2:58 PM, NorKris said:

i would not get i a corsair AIO these days, but i cant rly shit on them either. 

EK and Lian li is top picks for both looks and performance (should be said that EK does not know how to do ARGB...)

Artic does not have argb on their coolers  😞

Corsair, NZXT, gigabyte and asus AIOS = middle of the packs and 100% looks 

cheap and good, cooler master 

and ofc avoid MSI AIO's at all cost 

What is wrong with the msi's AIO? (just for informations) 
And what about the DeepCool LT720?

30 minutes ago, EnDrOw said:

What is wrong with the msi's AIO? (just for informations) 
And what about the DeepCool LT720?

recall + image.png.3530024b93187e9d07487b2e1e7b0d59.png

+ pump in rad

Just out of curiosity, which header did you plug that defective AIO into?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂