Can you get Coil Whine ater not using your pc for a while?

DelFox4995

When i used my Radeon rx 6950xt for the first time I had coil whine when not capping my fps. And asummed that is was my monitors falt because I diddnt buy a new one yet (only 60 hz monitor.) 

But after I went on vacation and did not use my pc for a while, i got coil whine on a game where I diddnt have it before. (Cod Warzone 2). Do you guys think that there is any way for me to get rid of my coil whine, because it is really anoying. Or is buying a higher refresh rate monitor the best solution?

Thanks for any feedback.

2 minutes ago, DelFox4995 said:

When i used my Radeon rx 6950xt for the first time I had coil whine when not capping my fps. And asummed that is was my monitors falt because I diddnt buy a new one yet (only 60 hz monitor.) 

But after I went on vacation and did not use my pc for a while, i got coil whine on a game where I diddnt have it before. (Cod Warzone 2). Do you guys think that there is any way for me to get rid of my coil whine, because it is really anoying. Or is buying a higher refresh rate monitor the best solution?

Thanks for any feedback.

I mean capping your fps is the most known solution to coil whine. If you buy a monitor with a higher refresh rate, logically it will increase the noise of the coil whine because your GPU has to work harder to support that resolution.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

So you are saying that there is no solution.

That is really dumb because i payed all this extra money for quieter fans, But it is all for nothing because my gpu's coilwhine makes an extreme amount of noise...

I just thought that a different hz level of monitor would work because I read something like that online. (That you get coil whine if your fps is higher than your monitors refresh rate.)

5 hours ago, DelFox4995 said:

So you are saying that there is no solution.

That is really dumb because i payed all this extra money for quieter fans, But it is all for nothing because my gpu's coilwhine makes an extreme amount of noise...

I just thought that a different hz level of monitor would work because I read something like that online. (That you get coil whine if your fps is higher than your monitors refresh rate.)

You could try undervolting the GPU.

I dropped my 7900xt red devil from the stock 1100mv down to 1045mv and it reduced coil whine and temps significantly.

Never heard the coil whine is caused by the monitor refresh rate though 😂 

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

7 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

You could try undervolting the GPU.

I dropped my 7900xt red devil from the stock 1100mv down to 1045mv and it reduced coil whine and temps significantly.

Never heard the coil whine is caused by the monitor refresh rate though 😂 

GPU has to "handshake" with the monitor. G-sync/Freesync, Variable Refresh Rates etc have all caused issues in the past. Most recently, 7900 series had a crashing issue with some monitors and their refresh rates/resolutions. Ive heard Nvidia GPUs suffer coil whine with some power supplies (a rather specific constant beetle like buzzing). 
All in all, nobody knows exactly why coil whine happens because theres too many potential causes...