Windows not booting when adding my WD_BLACK AN1500 in my PC

tankyx

I got my PC running a RAID 0 of 970 EVO 1TB on a X570 Taichi board and it is working fine.

But when I add my WD_BLACK AN1500, my PC won't boot into windows. POST fine.

I understand Windows might be confused seeing 2 raid arrays.

It was working fine before I decided to go RAID 0 with my 2 NVMe drives.

Any ideas ?

31 minutes ago, tankyx said:

I got my PC running a RAID 0 of 970 EVO 1TB on a X570 Taichi board and it is working fine.

But when I add my WD_BLACK AN1500, my PC won't boot into windows. POST fine.

I understand Windows might be confused seeing 2 raid arrays.

It was working fine before I decided to go RAID 0 with my 2 NVMe drives.

Any ideas ?

Make sure that all your SSDs are in the correct slots. Some slots share bandwidth with other slots and that can cause one to "drop out" so to speak.

Here's what ASRock lists on their website for your board:

https://i.gyazo.com/02fc98a74870bd146d4b1b74a05c0f0f.png

You can see that if M2_3 is occupied, the PCIE5 is disabled which is likely the bottom slot.

All of this information is in your motherboard manual. Keep it on hand and ready.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

19 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Make sure that all your SSDs are in the correct slots. Some slots share bandwidth with other slots and that can cause one to "drop out" so to speak.

Here's what ASRock lists on their website for your board:

https://i.gyazo.com/02fc98a74870bd146d4b1b74a05c0f0f.png

You can see that if M2_3 is occupied, the PCIE5 is disabled which is likely the bottom slot.

All of this information is in your motherboard manual. Keep it on hand and ready.

NVMe are in M2_1 and M2_2. The WD card wont work in either of the secondary PCIe x16 slots (the middle and bottom one)

11 hours ago, tankyx said:

NVMe are in M2_1 and M2_2. The WD card wont work in either of the secondary PCIe x16 slots (the middle and bottom one)

Have you tried updating the BIOS and updating your chipset drivers to rule those issues out.

Theoretically you should be able to run all your drives even if the WD had to run at Gen3 x4.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On 4/2/2023 at 1:48 AM, DildorTheDecent said:

Have you tried updating the BIOS and updating your chipset drivers to rule those issues out.

Theoretically you should be able to run all your drives even if the WD had to run at Gen3 x4.

Tried to do that, seemed to go flawlessly but now my array wasn't detected anymore, and the RAIDXpert2 doesn't allow me to create new arrays as it doesn't detect any physical devices anymore

9 hours ago, tankyx said:

Tried to do that, seemed to go flawlessly but now my array wasn't detected anymore, and the RAIDXpert2 doesn't allow me to create new arrays as it doesn't detect any physical devices anymore

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/after-updating-raidxpert2-amp-raid-drivers-no-longer-a-tray-icon/td-p/490003

Does anything in this post help? Make sure you've got all the appropriate drivers installed. I'd also just stick to your existing NVMe drives and get those up and running again and forget about the AN1500.

There's also an AMD guide about their RAID solution:

amd_nvme_sata_raid_quick_start_guide_for_windows_operating_systems.pdf