Is this power adapter in right?

Gougeface

I just got a gigabyte 4090 gaming oc and I pre-installed the power adapter before putting the card in does this look correct? I can't push it in anymore and the bottom part is fully in.

20230331_114517.jpg

3 minutes ago, Gougeface said:

I just got a gigabyte 4090 gaming oc and I pre-installed the power adapter before putting the card in does this look correct? I can't push it in anymore and the bottom part is fully in.

20230331_114517.jpg

That looks ok, mine looks the same and has been running without problem since November.

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

That looks ok, mine looks the same and has been running without problem since November.

oh ok. I was just worried I didn't put it in all the way. I'm waiting on cablemod for the adapter and cable to come in but it takes weeks to a month.

32 minutes ago, Gougeface said:

oh ok. I was just worried I didn't put it in all the way. I'm waiting on cablemod for the adapter and cable to come in but it takes weeks to a month.

I started with the included adapter on my RM1000x using just two cables with no issues. Added a 3rd cable just in case after a couple of weeks. 

Bought the cablemod 4x8pin to 12VHPWR which was compatible, took 2 months to arrive, arrived defective and got a refund (yes it was the proper cable for my RM1000x, confirmed with them and tested various configurations)

Bought a thermaltake 1650W GF3 12VHPWR native PSU, arrived defective since it would thermal throttle itself to the point where it would click off, refunded

Using a Seasonic GX-1200 Vertex with native 12VHPWR. Only issue I've run into is the retention clips on both ends of the single 12VHPWR cable they include literally fell off (was transplanting cases for thermal testing), though I haven't had any issues since there's enough friction on the connector to keep it tight. Seasonic originally sent me a 2x8pin to 12VHPWR because they didnt have any 1:1 12VHPWR cables in stock, but I now have a 1:1 cable arriving today-Saturday from them.

I've had a string of 'bad experiences' with 12VHPWR, none of which involved it melting because I've always properly seated the connector.

TLDR: If the connect is flush against the port, you're fine, even without the retention clip, there's enough friction in the connector to not only keep it in but also to give some people false security that its retained. The only thing that's really necessary is that its flush against the female end.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

50 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Dont know if this helps you at all, This is how I have ran my 4080 since November.  I got a 240mhz+ OC on the core and 1700mhz OC on the memory, running at 3.08ghz on the core! No crashes or problems.  I made this video for someone else wondering about how to run the 4080.

38 minutes ago, Agall said:

I started with the included adapter on my RM1000x using just two cables with no issues. Added a 3rd cable just in case after a couple of weeks. 

Bought the cablemod 4x8pin to 12VHPWR which was compatible, took 2 months to arrive, arrived defective and got a refund (yes it was the proper cable for my RM1000x, confirmed with them and tested various configurations)

Bought a thermaltake 1650W GF3 12VHPWR native PSU, arrived defective since it would thermal throttle itself to the point where it would click off, refunded

Using a Seasonic GX-1200 Vertex with native 12VHPWR. Only issue I've run into is the retention clips on both ends of the single 12VHPWR cable they include literally fell off (was transplanting cases for thermal testing), though I haven't had any issues since there's enough friction on the connector to keep it tight. Seasonic originally sent me a 2x8pin to 12VHPWR because they didnt have any 1:1 12VHPWR cables in stock, but I now have a 1:1 cable arriving today-Saturday from them.

I've had a string of 'bad experiences' with 12VHPWR, none of which involved it melting because I've always properly seated the connector.

TLDR: If the connect is flush against the port, you're fine, even without the retention clip, there's enough friction in the connector to not only keep it in but also to give some people false security that its retained. The only thing that's really necessary is that its flush against the female end.

I'm ocd after hearing about the 4090 adapter melting so I'm just making sure.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:13 PM, Gougeface said:

I'm ocd after hearing about the 4090 adapter melting so I'm just making sure.

That's specifically with an incredible small amount of defects in the adapters but the vast majority of cases being people not fully seating the connector.

I've been pretty liberal with how short of a bend my cables have had and how I route them.

Technically this is before my 12VHPWR replacement cable arrived (since the original with this PSU had both of its retention clips just fall off...) which even without retention clips on the 12VHPWR cable, this wasn't an issue. As long as you fully seat the connector, it'll be fine.

image.thumb.png.7cf9988de430eb0cdd7f8858fb81e75b.png

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017