Sony HT-A9

maksakal

So @LinusTech did you ever solve the problems you are having with the Sony HT-A9 set? I'm in the proces of renovating my house and I'm going todo a somewhat similar setup as you have.

I'm going to use Niko Home control switches and outlets which communicate via Zigbee and also think about putting up Ubiquiti AP's in everyroom so I'll probably run into the same problem you are having.

So my question is, did Sony ever address or resolve the issues you are having?

The HT-A9 is fundamentally flawed as far as I can tell. When it works, it works great, but when it doesn't, it's infuriating. They need to patch it. I don't know if they ever will.

People on the AVSForums are saying an update came out in january which fixes some of the problems. Only thing Sony has to say about it is to switch RF Channel off and then on again and then set the speakers atleast 1.5 meters away from any other wireless device (was my understanding that didn't work in your case).

https://www.sony-mea.com/en/electronics/support/articles/00267910

Oh well, maybe wired is the best way to go.

On 4/1/2023 at 7:06 AM, maksakal said:

maybe wired is the best way to go

Yes yes it is with a traditional av receiver with speakers. 

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

After watching the video on diagnosing the HT-A9 as "using" standard wifi:

What if the wifi network is a placeholder? It might be just there to "claim" some ISM bandwidth, by deterring real wifi clients from auto-selecting certain channels. The real audio data may not use 802.11 framing, and wouldn't be seen by wireshark. Linus could try to confirm by comparing the amount of data seen in wireshark versus the energy seen by his spectrum analyzer. This would be derpy, but Sony is an industry leader in derp.

This idea is just speculation, but it doesn't make sense to me that Sony would directly use wifi for audio streaming. 802.11 has protocol-level retransmissions that are a notorious source of buffer bloat, which is particularly harmful to low-latency realtime stuff like audio streaming. If the HT-A9 uses wifi, but not for data, my best guess is that it's a glorified digital "keep out" sign. Perhaps the packets Linus saw on wireshark are probes to monitor interference in real-time.

Speculating further, if the HT-A9 is "wifi-aware", the awareness may work both ways. Linus could configure his APs to avoid some channels (i.e. use only two of channels 1, 6, and 11, rather than all three), letting the HT-A9 auto-select the leftover space. The hidden wifi network should make it easy to confirm that the HT-A9 is using the "desired" empty channels.

This is all speculation and I'd be amazed if it worked. Sadly, speculation is almost always the only tool to diagnose wireless jank. I still think the rule should be: never buy wireless if there are good wired alternatives. And there are good wired home theater sets, so never buy wireless home theater sets.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:49 AM, maksakal said:

So @LinusTech did you ever solve the problems you are having with the Sony HT-A9 set? I'm in the proces of renovating my house and I'm going todo a somewhat similar setup as you have.

I'm going to use Niko Home control switches and outlets which communicate via Zigbee and also think about putting up Ubiquiti AP's in everyroom so I'll probably run into the same problem you are having.

So my question is, did Sony ever address or resolve the issues you are having?

How serious of a renovation project are you doing?  If you're going to be adding AP's to every room, I'd assume it's a 'to-the-studs' level remodel, as you'll need dedicated network runs to each AP location/room to wherever your network equipment will live. At that point just run speaker wire. Depending on your floorplan/layout, in-wall, in-ceiling, or just wiring to bookshelves for standard bookshelf speakers is going to be way better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 3:32 AM, Omon_Ra said:

How serious of a renovation project are you doing?  If you're going to be adding AP's to every room, I'd assume it's a 'to-the-studs' level remodel, as you'll need dedicated network runs to each AP location/room to wherever your network equipment will live. At that point just run speaker wire. Depending on your floorplan/layout, in-wall, in-ceiling, or just wiring to bookshelves for standard bookshelf speakers is going to be way better.

Wel te couch is going to be free standing, meaning there aren't any walls around it. I've decided to run wires in the floor. I've measured out everything very precisely and went shopping for a couch. Now the boxes can be under the couch so no wires will be visible.

On 5/8/2023 at 10:50 PM, sbrudenell said:

After watching the video on diagnosing the HT-A9 as "using" standard wifi:

What if the wifi network is a placeholder? It might be just there to "claim" some ISM bandwidth, by deterring real wifi clients from auto-selecting certain channels. The real audio data may not use 802.11 framing, and wouldn't be seen by wireshark. Linus could try to confirm by comparing the amount of data seen in wireshark versus the energy seen by his spectrum analyzer. This would be derpy, but Sony is an industry leader in derp.

That would be a really stupid implementation. Claiming a complete band for yourself and expecting everybody (even non wifi devices) to stay clear of that band. That isn't present in the implementation of any standard.

If you can avoid going wireless, avoid going wireless. 

If you're renovating, run some speaker wire and watch as your life becomes easier and things get simpler. 

You'd be looking at around $2500 for a full HT-9 +subwoofer set up. Instead of running electrical wires/cords, just run speaker wire. Same number of wires. Less flexible speaker placement though. 

This is roughly how I'd spend that budget, note that I'd be deal hunting and indexing heavily on the front two speakers while aiming for a 4.2.4 set up. 
Used 9 or 11 channel AVR - $200-400ish
Polk R100 for front speakers - $420 factory refurbished
5 pack klipsch quintet speakers off ebay - $100ish

satellite speaker mounting gear $50ish

ELAC OW4 on wall speakers for the surrounds - $240 on sale

2x SVS subwoofers - $300ish each off of CL/FB
$50ish of speaker wire
$30ish of coaxial RCA cables for speakers

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

• 4 months later...

I had the same issue with my system and the update did not fix the issue. I even changed it to connectivity mode. Still constant dropouts. I gave it about a week before going more drastic measures. 
I went on Amazon and ordered a couple Mini PCIe U.FL to RP-SMA Cables and external WiFi antennas. 
Then I opened up the receiver and removed the 2 rear WiFi antennas. There is also a front WiFi antenna to receive which I did not alter. I then used the 2 cables to route to the exterior of the case and drilled 2 small holes in the rear corners (where the antennas were) and attached my antennas. 
No issues since. A novice DIYer could make this modification. Most screws are the same throughout the device. But I would definitely proceed with caution if you decide to do this. I would also get longer cables than the 6” pair that I got. The right rear 6” was perfect. The left rear definitely took some work to get in position and the 10 inch version would have been preferable. 
Everything worked on initial boot and has ever since. 

IMG_7907.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Hi, viper88c. Did this really fix your issue in the long term? I'm hesitating because this would void my warranty on the unit. Thanks!