WTF is QLED

JimPancakes

So a while back I was taken away be the news that QLED will be revolutionary and superior to OLED. My impression was that the technology was basically OLED but the with some dye stuff in front of it controlling the color or something about light-emitting diodes idk. Now I see stuff like this QLED TVs having IPS or VA panels??? 

I remember Linus talking about QLEDs a while back. Did Samsung end up delivering something else than promised?

I just want to buy a new TV and use it as a monitor. I am kinda scared of OLED cause of burn in but the specs make it very desirable. From Linus' videos I was under the impression that QLED was gonna deliver the same results but somehow bypass burn in thanks to a uniform "wear and tear". 

Afaik QLED is simply Samsung's marketing name for regular LCD displays using many tiny LEDs as background lighting ("Quantum LED"). So it's not related to OLED in terms of technology. It's simply a name chosen to make it appear as if it is, while it's more or less "just" an improvement on existing LCDs.

OLED on the other hand does not use background lights at all, instead every pixel is its own emissive light source.

~edit: To put it another way, QLED basically just means "This display is using tiny LEDs as background lighting". It doesn't say anything about the panel's technology (IPS, VA, …) as such.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

20 minutes ago, JimPancakes said:

So a while back I was taken away be the news that QLED will be revolutionary and superior to OLED. My impression was that the technology was basically OLED but the with some dye stuff in front of it controlling the color or something about light-emitting diodes idk. Now I see stuff like this QLED TVs having IPS or VA panels??? 

I remember Linus talking about QLEDs a while back. Did Samsung end up delivering something else than promised?

I just want to buy a new TV and use it as a monitor. I am kinda scared of OLED cause of burn in but the specs make it very desirable. From Linus' videos I was under the impression that QLED was gonna deliver the same results but somehow bypass burn in thanks to a uniform "wear and tear". 

You’re thinking of QD-OLED, which Linus did a big feature with Samsung display on, and did reviews on the Samsung S95B and Sony A95K, the two TVs featuring the tech. You’re confusing QD-OLED with QLED, which both use quantum dots, but are completely different display tech. QLED is a way to get more vibrant colour out of a regular LED backlit LCD. 

QLED is nothing but marketing.  It's basically just an LCD with a slightly better backlight.   

QD-LED or QD-OLED are good panels, but also pricey. 

@seanondemand

@tkitch

QD-OLED, that's what I was looking for. Am I right about them having better burn in handling though?

26 minutes ago, JimPancakes said:

@seanondemand

@tkitch

QD-OLED, that's what I was looking for. Am I right about them having better burn in handling though?

In OLED land, you primarily have LG's WOLED and Samsungs QD-OLED for panel types. All OLED's can burn in, but at least in the most recent update of rtings torture test, LG's WOLED's are fairing a bit better. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/longevity-investigations-update-3-month 

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Afaik QLED is simply Samsung's marketing name for regular LCD displays using many tiny LEDs as background lighting ("Quantum LED"). So it's not related to OLED in terms of technology. It's simply a name chosen to make it appear as if it is, while it's more or less "just" an improvement on existing LCDs.

OLED on the other hand does not use background lights at all, instead every pixel is its own emissive light source.

~edit: To put it another way, QLED basically just means "This display is using tiny LEDs as background lighting". It doesn't say anything about the panel's technology (IPS, VA, …) as such.

It's not exactly a regular LED. It's use Quantom Dot layer (similar to LG Nano IPS things), that's something. It generally produce wilder colour and better colour volume than regular LED and OLED. 

And to be fair. Samsung isn't the only one who use that term, it's more general now (Gigabyte also sold some of their display under QLED brand)

14 minutes ago, e22big said:

It's not exactly a regular LED. It's use Quantom Dot layer (similar to LG Nano IPS things), that's something. It generally produce wilder colour and better colour volume than regular LED and OLED. 

Sure, QLED is an improvement over regular LED backlight for LCD screens. I did point that out. But it's not the same as OLED where every pixel is its own light source.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

The OG Quantum-Dot is what is now being described as NANOLED . Pronounced NanoLED.

Each Quantum-Dot is its own LED, producing its own colored light.

The eventual implementation of QuantomDot was nothing more than a filter layer added to traditional LED panels to better filter colors from the LED. Which marketing then termed QLED.

Since they cant now use QLED again for 'actual' QuantomDot tech, they are now coining the term NonoLED.

As for QD-OLED. This is effectively the same as QLED, but for OLEDs. An OLED panel with a QD filter added to help with colors. It to isnt the OG Quantum-Dot tech. But QD-OLED is what ur thinking of.

Also, the backlight is the same for all LED displays, be it edge lit, back lit, FALD ..Mini ..or micro. Its still tlhe same. QD is the filter layer, not the backlight.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |