Reallocated sector count in Samsung 870 EVO 4tb SSD

HeftyRhyme

Hi All, I run an unraid server in which I have two Samsung 870 EVO 4tb SSD's. I put them in my server about a year ago however reallocated sector count has constantly been increasing. Now I thought I'd send them back as the reallocated sector count is 207 on one SSD and 210 on the other which seems too high for comfort to me. After emailing the store they send me that this is normal and that the supplier probably won't be replacing them.

So my question is, is a reallocated sector count of 200+ normal for a 1 year old ssd, if so how many reserve sectors are there on a SSD, and when should I be worried?

I added the SMART reports in the attachments, thanks all!

Samsung_SSD_870_EVO_4TB_S6BCNJ0R901072W-20230307-1814.txt Samsung_SSD_870_EVO_4TB_S6BCNJ0R901072W-20230307-1809.txt

Sounds worrying to me too, I'm no expert though.

I couldn't find a reallocated sector count for my Intel drive. I have a 97% used value though. Do you have a % ?

I guess there are software that can detail and comment on the health of a drive.

I use HD Sentinel, but I don't know how far it got with ssds being more of a hdd software.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

Your 870 evos are part of a bad batch from early 2021. I had a 1TB model from February 2021 which I RMA'd a few weeks ago. They all have the same issue, increased reallocated sectors, uncorrectable error count and ecc error rate.

List of serial numbers that are effected (mine was S626NF0R, yours is S6BCNJ0R)

Spoiler
Samsung 870 EVO S5Y2NJ0N / S5Y2NJ0R / S5Y3NF0R / S5Y3NG0R / S621NG0R / S625NJ0R / S626NF0R / S626NJ0R / S62BNJ0R / S62CNF0R / S62CNJ0R / S6BANJ0R / S6BBNG0R / S6BCNG0R / S6BCNJ0R / S6PTNZ0R / S6PUNF0R

Info taken from https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/samsung-870-evo-beware-certain-batches-prone-to-failure.291504/

From what ive heard if they get enough errors the drive will go into read only mode. I have not seen any confirmation if updating the firmware will undo any damage or will fix this behaviour. You should RMA them.

Thanks both for the reply! Will surely check HD Sentinal out :).

@Murasaki Was yours already completely defect and did you have any problems RMAing it? Since the shop told me the supplier probably wouldn't take it back as defect right now.

have you done the firmware updates ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

3 hours ago, HeftyRhyme said:

Thanks both for the reply! Will surely check HD Sentinal out :).

@Murasaki Was yours already completely defect and did you have any problems RMAing it? Since the shop told me the supplier probably wouldn't take it back as defect right now.

From day one transfering my games over I already had 3 sectors reallocated, just shrugged it off as an anomaly. But overtime I saw them go up more as I installed new games. I looked stuff up online and saw the info I provided you. While backing the drive up I had multiple files get corrupted and were not possible to copy from it. While transfering I had CrystalDiskInfo open and saw the errors steadily increase. From 200 when I started to over 1100 when finished. I simply pointed out the SMART errors and file problems when I sent it back. Got a new one after a week or so, no questions asked. Drive was ofcourse within warranty period.