Flat Ethernet cable

Raistlin

Looking at buying my network setup and saw that there is a flat Ethernet cable. This would look a lot better when running throughout my condo. I saw that it's unshielded but everything I read says should be fine, what did everyone here think?

Wiring for Ethernet is almost always unshielded. (UTP: Unshielded Twisted Pair.) Shielded Ethernet cabling exists, but it's not necessary the vast majority of the time.

For the lengths you're likely to run in a residential setting, the flat cables should be fine. I prefer running proper round cables whenever possible, though.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

46 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

Looking at buying my network setup and saw that there is a flat Ethernet cable. This would look a lot better when running throughout my condo. I saw that it's unshielded but everything I read says should be fine, what did everyone here think?

Its fine, but I like ultra thin /slim cables better, you can get those in cat6:

image.webp

Edit: CAT6 UTP***

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Short runs seem to be fine, but longer ones I had some issues with (it could just be I used cheapo ones though), but I like slim ones better

Failure is part of success. I may make mistakes, that's how we all learn.

Folding at Home

check out the Ugreen cables on Aliexpress, mine works fine (they have a slim one)

I'm willing to swim against the current.

14 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Wiring for Ethernet is almost always unshielded. (UTP: Unshielded Twisted Pair.) Shielded Ethernet cabling exists, but it's not necessary the vast majority of the time.

For the lengths you're likely to run in a residential setting, the flat cables should be fine. I prefer running proper round cables whenever possible, though.

Shielded cat5/cat6 is a pain in the ass. Every once in awhile I get some wingnut who wants it run in their biz because they think their coffee maker might produce too much EMF. 

I mean, its structurally impossible to hurt, but like working with frikken hemp rope in the network closet.

22 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Its fine, but I like ultra thin /slim cables better, you can get those in cat6:

Edit: CAT6 UTP***

TIL slim non-flat cables are a thing. 

Visual preferences aside, people should know that with slim cables:

• Size difference is about 5.8 versus 3.8 mm in diameter
  • The wires inside the cables are thinner (30 versus 24 AWG, larger number is smaller)
  • As a result of the physical wire differences, it doesnt meet standard ANSI-defined specs for cat 6 including...
  • Power over ethernet is more limited (30W)
  • AND max distance is more limited than the 100m standard

I have used flat ethernet cables as well, and with the one I bought and cut open the internal wires seemed to be the same gauge as a normal round cable, but I also didn't take an exact measurement.

It's all about visual and physical preferences for however people use the cable as well as risk tolerance for a cable not confirming to existing standards.

Using a non round standard sized cable means it is less likely that the wires inside will be the same size, unless you trust who makes/sells the cable.