I need help with fans! I I am a noob.

Chosen477

Hey! 

I just finished my latest build with a corsair 7000D case, its a huge case! I usually build small computers and I would just put any Noctua fans that fits.
I can understand that this is not the right mindset but I find it confusing when I look into it. So, what I want to do is 4 120mm fans in the front, 3 140mm fans on top and 1 140mm in the back for exhaust, I also have 2 140mm on my CPU cooler pushing air thoughts the cooler to the back of the case. ( Noctua NH-D15).

First question would be, is this a good configuration?

My second question is what type of fans should I get?! Noctua got so many different fans, I want them relatively quiet and to last for a long time. ( what I understood is that magnetic fails the least?)

It hurt my head when I try to find the best one for me...

thank you!

1 minute ago, Chosen477 said:

Hey! 

I just finished my latest build with a corsair 7000D case, its a huge case! I usually build small computers and I would just put any Noctua fans that fits.
I can understand that this is not the right mindset but I find it confusing when I look into it. So, what I want to do is 4 120mm fans in the front, 3 140mm fans on top and 1 140mm in the back for exhaust, I also have 2 140mm on my CPU cooler pushing air thoughts the cooler to the back of the case. ( Noctua NH-D15).

My second question is what type of fans should I get?! Noctua got so many different fans, I want them relatively quiet and to last for a long time. ( what I understood is that magnetic fails the least?)

thank you!

just advice put this in the cooling section of the forum

For the fans look at the p12 maxes for the best performance at a low price but if you dont wanna spend 19 bucks a fan (which isn't that much) Then look at the p12s (non maxes) for 9 bucks a fan (or the five pack which is a good deal) Noctua fans are kinda overpriced now

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I don't know if it works this way, but I'd be worried that the fans on top will blow the cold air out before it get's a chance to cool the cpu.

52 minutes ago, Chosen477 said:

Hey! 

thank you!

Buying 8 Noctua fans just for airflow is kinda waste of money, that'll cost you $250 and they look meh (at best)...

I'd suggest the nice and effective Arctic P12 RGB (3 pack < $40) or even cheaper Thermalright C12 (like $6 apiece...), they'll do the same job, aren't noisy at low speeds, looks great, and they'll cost you less than $80 for 8 of them

Your fan setup is okay, just think of setting the front intake fans a tad faster than the top exhaust ones to "lose less fresh air" 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

36 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Buying 8 Noctua fans just for airflow is kinda waste of money, that'll cost you $250 and they look meh (at best)...

I'd suggest the nice and effective Arctic P12 RGB (3 pack < $40) or even cheaper Thermalright C12 (like $6 apiece...), they'll do the same job, aren't noisy at low speeds, looks great, and they'll cost you less than $80 for 8 of them

Your fan setup is okay, just think of setting the front intake fans a tad faster than the top exhaust ones to "lose less fresh air" 

what about the new p12 maxes? 

Current parts list

31 minutes ago, filpo said:

what about the new p12 maxes? 

Who wants 3300rpm fans as airflow case fans ?? Chopper addicts ?? 😄 

I use them on a heatsink (an TM Peerless Assassin 120, swapped out its RGB C12 fans to put them in my case), even then over 2200rpm they're just too loud

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, PDifolco said:

Who wants 3300rpm fans as airflow case fans ?? Chopper addicts ?? 😄 

I use them on a heatsink (an TM Peerless Assassin 120, swapped out its RGB C12 fans to put them in my case), even then over 2200rpm they're just too loud

ye fair i guess they're only good for use in applications where that high rpm matters. Just saw a review on them and they were nearly as good as the t30s for half the price so seemed like a viable option

Current parts list

The setup that you have figured out is fine. What is your budget per fan or for the number of fans that you need, and please specify how many fans you need.?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 3/31/2023 at 5:11 AM, Chosen477 said:

If you insist on Noctua, then the NF-A12x25 is good at both AF and SP although it's a bit better at exhaust. If you don't mind other brands...

Very similarly, the Corsair ML120 is about the same, but a bit better at intake. They seem to be discouraging it as it has no specs on the website (only the ML120 Pro and RGB versions have full data) and aren't sold there - you'd have to buy them somewhere else (about $20 ea).

If you're not worried about noise, then the Phanteks T30 is one of the best, and has a switch on it to set the max RPMs to 1200, 2000, or 3000. It is 30mm thick, so keep that in mind for areas that can't take that thickness. Also very good are the DeepCool FC120s/FK120s, and Silent Wings 4/4 Pro. If you want decent budget fans, Arctic has the P12s, which are super-cheap especially when you buy a bundle, with the P12 Max being on par with the above fans at a higher price - but good luck finding them.

If you want 140mm, Noctua has the NF-A14 iPPC 2000 and 3000 line (numbers are RPMs). Several companies have 140 fans but I don't have a lot of info on them at this time. 140s will move more air and be quieter, as with 30mm fans like the T30 - at least until you get to high RPMs.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

8 hours ago, RevGAM said:

If you insist on Noctua, then the NF-A12x25 is good at both AF and SP although it's a bit better at exhaust. If you don't mind other brands...

Very similarly, the Corsair ML120 is about the same, but a bit better at intake. They seem to be discouraging it as it has no specs on the website (only the ML120 Pro and RGB versions have full data) and aren't sold there - you'd have to buy them somewhere else (about $20 ea).

If you're not worried about noise, then the Phanteks T30 is one of the best, and has a switch on it to set the max RPMs to 1200, 2000, or 3000. It is 30mm thick, so keep that in mind for areas that can't take that thickness. Also very good are the DeepCool FC120s/FK120s, and Silent Wings 4/4 Pro. If you want decent budget fans, Arctic has the P12s, which are super-cheap especially when you buy a bundle, with the P12 Max being on par with the above fans at a higher price - but good luck finding them.

If you want 140mm, Noctua has the NF-A14 iPPC 2000 and 3000 line (numbers are RPMs). Several companies have 140 fans but I don't have a lot of info on them at this time. 140s will move more air and be quieter, as with 30mm fans like the T30 - at least until you get to high RPMs.

I went with 4 NF-A12x25 and 6 NF-A14 ! thanks for your input!

No idea but I think p12 max is batter for batter result on your handmade computer.