Explain This To Me - Desktop Replacement Laptops

HC_writes
5 hours ago, papajo said:

Oh I see my previous suggesting for reference were mostly aiming at cad work/rendering stuff  well your problem is that you probably use all of your vram or vram bandwidth or in other words you could cheap out on other stuff and have the exact same experience since we are talking about video, there are many 2Kish laptops that have 16gb of vram 

but to be honest I am surprised that even your current laptop does that I mean 10* 4K 60FPS  that's what? 12K 60 fps or something? Those are lot of pixels 

Arent there professional devices that handle video walls etc from matrox or whatnot why do you use the laptop and actually how do you use it? I mean how many HDMI cables do you plug in? and how ?  and what version are they? 

Here's an example of a party I did with 7 LED wall sections using 4K content, we use an 8K video matrix switcher in 4K mode that then distributes video from a single input from the Laptop. We break down each LED Wall section within Resolume as well as account for the empty space between the panels to real world distances between each set of panels. This accounts for continuity of content, so any 4K content that we want spanning across all or a few panels will look correct in your brain. 

Image shows the highlighted blocks where the LED Walls are, and a simple video spanning across all the panels. We used a second X17 R2 laptop to run a secondary 4K projector mapping not in this composition. We were crashing on the first laptop bouncing around videos as is...

Screenshot 2023-03-31 084625.png

Did they mention that the "RTX 4090 mobile" is just a cut down desktop 3080? I remember there being a whole thing about the GPU being weak, but not that specific fact.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

18 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You need to build ones of these

https://bsicomputer.com/products/fieldgo-m3-1739

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

I plan to upgrade within a few months to a proper computer.

13 hours ago, papajo said:

Yea but your job sounds to be comprised of like a two or three digit number of people US wide

Im sorry but your bluntness is just plain wrong, i found audio engineer open job slots in the 2000s IN GLASSDOOR ALONE. And besides that, every other job that does need big computing on-site that Linus mentioned is perfectly fine scenario, and as you say, not everyone is privileged with fast mobile and offsite internet for remote access.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 hours ago, dontstandinfire said:

Here's an example of a party I did with 7 LED wall sections using 4K content, we use an 8K video matrix switcher in 4K mode that then distributes video from a single input from the Laptop. We break down each LED Wall section within Resolume as well as account for the empty space between the panels to real world distances between each set of panels. This accounts for continuity of content, so any 4K content that we want spanning across all or a few panels will look correct in your brain. 

Image shows the highlighted blocks where the LED Walls are, and a simple video spanning across all the panels. We used a second X17 R2 laptop to run a secondary 4K projector mapping not in this composition. We were crashing on the first laptop bouncing around videos as is...

Screenshot 2023-03-31 084625.png

What you need is a slick mini ATX chassis that allows for a GPU e.g

Lian Li TU-150WX Tu 150-WX Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Computer Case

A A6000 48GB @ about 750GB/s (it can also split to virtual GPUs e.g you can have two vGPUs dedicated to different tasks with 24GB vram for each and it also has a sync feature which is nice for mosaic/multiple displays etc) 

This

image.png.aa5c97ad513376674fb073b12f275637.pngimage.png.bd696567fbcd7e955fed04d995dde51a.png

this

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D review: closing the Intel gap for gaming - The Verge

this
image.thumb.png.e7a8450b11b860f929498973717c2c56.png

And two very fast nvmes (yes the mobo has two slots) in raid. 

You can use this to be your input output device and wireless monitor so less clutter slick you can have it in your bag and carry the pc case by the handle

image.png.353f371876e0e403bcccc0fa4b158c5e.png

The touchscreen and stylus gestures may be helpful as well plus the screen is not huge but its  huge for a tablet so I think it will get the job done plus its a GORGEOUS and bright screen which more important imho. 

This setup (although more expensive that your 2 alienware laptop but not by a lot)  will have A LOT more raw power 

You may need more ram or an extra "thin" video card for extra ouputs in that case there are some good micro atx cases which are not a lot more  bigger and have a handle and look slick that can carry motherboards facilitating those needs. 

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Im sorry but your bluntness is just plain wrong, i found audio engineer open job slots in the 2000s IN GLASSDOOR ALONE. And besides that, every other job that does need big computing on-site that Linus mentioned is perfectly fine scenario, and as you say, not everyone is privileged with fast mobile and offsite internet for remote access.

This guy is not an audio engineer or if he said he is and I missed that I wasnt referring to his credentials but to what his actually job was (run special very high res and with various effects monitor walls for big events and what not) 

An audio engineer doesnt need a desktop replacement anyway 

19 minutes ago, papajo said:

What you need is a slick mini ATX chassis that allows for a GPU e.g

Good luck carrying that to a bulid site with a monitor, power cable, display cables and pheripherials every day, it's still worse than the laptop solution. Also they called it the 4090 mobile, so it makes sense, that it's going to be less powerful, specially with the low power it's useing. Also, you said that ThinkPad keyboards are better, they are okay at most, theese new machines come with actual mechanical keyboards, lot nicer screens, and you can put it in a laptop bag and put it on your shoulder. I used to go to lan partyes with my ITX setup, trust me, it's not nice to carry all that every single day with you.

system out println("Please don't drop it Linus!");

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

Some comic sans because why not

33 minutes ago, BakaPetra said:

Good luck carrying that to a bulid

Its actually lighter and easier to carry than the TWO alienwares (+ two power bricks) he uses and it takes less space while being substantially more powerful I mean if you run a cinebench r23 of each of those alderlake H laptop CPUs and add the results together they will be still lower compared to the  stock clock results of the ryzen one.

And the A6000 will destroy both of those laptop 3080 tis even in gaming (and even if you add their FPS together probably) 

The ram is much faster too. 

And it probably will be more silent during full load than two laptops with 12900H and a laptop 3080 ti each. 

33 minutes ago, BakaPetra said:

site with a monitor,

Read the post the monitor is a tablet that has a wireless monitor feature (and also QHD+ AMOLED high refreshrate I believe its 120hz ) and it doesnt need a cord for power since it has a battery + it can be suited with a cover that is magnetic and has keyboard and mousepad and a monitor stand to put it at an angle and is a touchscreen (yes the touch commands go from the wireless monitor feature to windows) and has a stylus too

This config for such kind of usecase is the bomb imho 

I've always used large desktop replacement laptops, I owned the original Dell Inspiron 6100 (the first DTR laptop) back in the day with it's desktop class Pentium 4 flagship CPU and Radeon 9800 GPU and have used loads of XPS, Alienware, Precision* etc laptops right through to the Acer Predator Helios 500 laptops.

For me the reason I started using them was because I needed a laptop for college and didn't see a point in having a basic laptop and a high end PC when I could get a laptop that filled both roles.  I carried on using them after college was because I found that having what was essentially a portable PC was amazing when moving between home, my GFs, my friends, etc because it made spontaneous LAN parties simple and loads of fun.

The reason I still use them to this day when there are "thin and light" alternatives is because those laptops all cut corners in the cooling dept in order to hit those thin/light targets and sadly most of them don't allow any useful manual fan control to try and compensate for that (when I say useful, most of them have the option of default fan speed or manual rpm setting, no option for +10/20% or anything that would actually be useful) but even the ones that do sound like jet turbines when you crank the fans up.  By comparison the Helios 500 never gets hot enough to need the fans raising over defaults.

* Dell used to use Dell gaming GPUS in the Precision laptops flashed as FirePro cards that you could reflash back to normal making them an amazing performance gaming DTR, especially for the money.

5 hours ago, Ubersonic said:

I've always used large desktop replacement laptops, I owned the original Dell Inspiron 6100 (the first DTR laptop) back in the day with it's desktop class Pentium 4 flagship CPU and Radeon 9800 GPU and have used loads of XPS, Alienware, Precision* etc laptops right through to the Acer Predator Helios 500 laptops.

For me the reason I started using them was because I needed a laptop for college and didn't see a point in having a basic laptop and a high end PC when I could get a laptop that filled both roles.  I carried on using them after college was because I found that having what was essentially a portable PC was amazing when moving between home, my GFs, my friends, etc because it made spontaneous LAN parties simple and loads of fun.

The reason I still use them to this day when there are "thin and light" alternatives is because those laptops all cut corners in the cooling dept in order to hit those thin/light targets and sadly most of them don't allow any useful manual fan control to try and compensate for that (when I say useful, most of them have the option of default fan speed or manual rpm setting, no option for +10/20% or anything that would actually be useful) but even the ones that do sound like jet turbines when you crank the fans up.  By comparison the Helios 500 never gets hot enough to need the fans raising over defaults.

* Dell used to use Dell gaming GPUS in the Precision laptops flashed as FirePro cards that you could reflash back to normal making them an amazing performance gaming DTR, especially for the money.

The idea isnt that bad. 

The execution is I mean you pay a huge premium and do not get much in return unless your life was based upon daily social interactions that involve lan parties I cant see how you couldnt save a TON of money to get the same or better performance 

Again laptops with 3080s are worse than 3060 tis (by that I mean when you compare the cost do not compare it with the cost of an actual desktop 3080) and so on and so forth you too would benefit more from a mini itx with a handheld like we did back in the day (with ATX!!! or maybe midi for some)  there are portable monitors as well but if your social circle and you are so much into lanparties that it is a frequent thing then they probably should have a spare monitor laying around or you the motivation to carry one lol. 

In Greece we do not have such issues (or at least when I was a kid or young adult nowadays I do not know but I still believe there are some) because we have internet cafes but they are like "cool" (e.g as in asia) with 100 + high spec gaming pc cute waitresses coffee booze energy drinks sandwiches and generally fast foods music and so on in almost every corner (ok maybe in small neighborhoods it wont be 100 pcs but it will be at least 20+ )  and we go there for our lan party needs and leave our PCs at home that's why we still kept having them even after broadband internet was a thing for most households because its not just about the internet access but the interaction, its like a bar where you can socialize but in your own nerdy way (by shouting at each other how lame you are in dota  😛

After reading threw the comments on the video people seemed to miss the reason i brought my Asus Strix Hero III G731GV which is 17.3". The reason i chose it is down to being both a uni student as well as a child of separated parents both of which i spend time at the homes of. After years of literally moving my full setup bar chair and desk between 1hour separated home  every weekend being able to carry a complete package in a large rucksack was a no brainer. This when also looking for a laptop to take notes in lectures as well as being able to bring back all my uni work from my dorms 3hours on train from my homes during summer and other holidays made a large "gaming laptop" the only effective option. Sorry for grammer and spelling i am drunk