Out of Video Memory on a RTX 3080...

BigBoss01

Just bought a new 3080 and every time I play video games for longer than 15 minutes it tends to crash. Crashed in Chivalry now does the same thing in Control. Temps are ok and the usage is not hitting max limits considering it has 10 gigs of VRAM....anyone else having these issues?
Could it be motherboard auto overclock, left it on when I was building the PC. Should I disable it?

out of video memory.png

are you modding the games , have you tried playing more...... common games to see if it has issues?

14 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

Just bought a new 3080 and every time I play video games for longer than 15 minutes it tends to crash. Crashed in Chivalry now does the same thing in Control. Temps are ok and the usage is not hitting max limits considering it has 10 gigs of VRAM....anyone else having these issues?
Could it be motherboard auto overclock, left it on when I was building the PC. Should I disable it?

out of video memory.png

Which res do you use ? 10GB is a tad short for 4K..

Try to reduce graphics options, esp. textures quality

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

What games does it crash in?  What resolution are you playing at? Is it only in Indie games? What have you done to test it?

Also was this GPU purchased new or used?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

are you modding the games , have you tried playing more...... common games to see if it has issues?

Nope, no matter what game I play usually in 15-20-25 minutes they all just crash. 

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Which res do you use ? 10GB is a tad short for 4K..

Try to reduce graphics options, esp. textures quality

1080p so I don't think that's the issue...

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What games does it crash in?  What resolution are you playing at? Is it only in Indie games? What have you done to test it?

Also was this GPU purchased new or used?

So far, Chivalry 2, Insurgency and now Control. Basically I just monitored the temps to see if anything was overheating. Don't know how to test beyond that.
Purchased used.

One thing that I tried which may or may not be related, I enabled XMP on my motherboard and after a restart the PC would not turn on. I plucked it out, put it one stick, reverted back to normal and put in the other and it seems to be working fine.

2 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

One thing that I tried which may or may not be related, I enabled XMP on my motherboard and after a restart the PC would not turn on. I plucked it out, put it one stick, reverted back to normal and put in the other and it seems to be working fine.

remove one ram stick and run it with just a single stick. try each stick alone in the machine , see if its stable in that configuration

1 minute ago, emosun said:

remove one ram stick and run it with just a single stick. try each stick alone in the machine , see if its stable in that configuration

Will try asap.

22 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

Purchased used.

Ok, what you're going to want to do is use DDU(display driver uninstaller) on the drivers for the GPU, then use Geforce Experience to get the newest version of drivers for the card. 

You'll want to update all of the system drivers as well just to be certain.

If you do this and it still crashes in the same way, the only thing I can think of is the GPU is bad. Which is an unfortunate but likely possibility with it being a used GPU. Last ditch effort before calling it would be to update the Bios/firmware of the GPU. 

20 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

System memory issues could be possible. Do as @emosunsuggested and test the sticks individually, you'll also want to disable XMP/any overclocks on the system while doing so. If the system memory changes don't affect the games crashing, it's still most likely the GPU.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

38 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

Just for trial and error purposes, try disabling overclock.

Omg, it's a signature!

56 minutes ago, emosun said:

That didn't work other than cut the performance in half.

52 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Ok, what you're going to want to do is use DDU(display driver uninstaller) on the drivers for the GPU, then use Geforce Experience to get the newest version of drivers for the card. 

You'll want to update all of the system drivers as well just to be certain.

If you do this and it still crashes in the same way, the only thing I can think of is the GPU is bad. Which is an unfortunate but likely possibility with it being a used GPU. Last ditch effort before calling it would be to update the Bios/firmware of the GPU. 

System memory issues could be possible. Do as @emosunsuggested and test the sticks individually, you'll also want to disable XMP/any overclocks on the system while doing so. If the system memory changes don't affect the games crashing, it's still most likely the GPU.

Done the first part, but the thing is I already had the newest Nvidia drivers and it was still causing this.

I'll try reverting back to an older driver to see if it runs better. I would not experiment much with BIOS updates to the GPU considering my luck I will most likely brick it. 

33 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

You could also run Unigene Superposition in differant configs and texture loads to test the VRAM and overall stability.

I'll try that right now.

Update, did a performance test and seems fine.

Capture.PNG

Ok, now they just crash non stop...
I'm getting a replacement motherboard tomorrow since the asus b650ef has a defective audio chipset that's causing the audio to crackle even on windows startup and I'll see if that's the problem. 
BTW the GPU memory usage at no point passed 50%...

22 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

Ok, now they just crash non stop...
I'm getting a replacement motherboard tomorrow since the asus b650ef has a defective audio chipset that's causing the audio to crackle even on windows startup and I'll see if that's the problem. 
BTW the GPU memory usage at no point passed 50%...

It's possible, if the board also has a failing PCIE slot. You made sure all of the drivers and bios for the board were up to date before purchasing the new one right? It would be very rare for the board to have both a bad PCIE slot and Audio chipset and it passing ASUS' QA department tests. Plus there are plenty of other things that can cause crackling audio before jumping to bad audio chipset.

I'm still thinking GPU. With it being a used GPU, and depending on where it was purchased and by whom it was sold, it's the most likely culprit. I just wouldn't be surprised if it still does it even after replacing the motherboard.

20 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

It's possible, if the board also has a failing PCIE slot. You made sure all of the drivers and bios for the board were up to date before purchasing the new one right? It would be very rare for the board to have both a bad PCIE slot and Audio chipset and it passing ASUS' QA department tests. Plus there are plenty of other things that can cause crackling audio before jumping to bad audio chipset.

I'm still thinking GPU. With it being a used GPU, and depending on where it was purchased and by whom it was sold, it's the most likely culprit. I just wouldn't be surprised if it still does it even after replacing the motherboard.

Yep everything is new and downloaded straight from Asus. Also yeah we tested out everything it's the motherboard. Took it to two PC repair shops, and Asus support emailed me back saying its defective.

Ok, now I undervolted it by 50v and reduced the frequency and no crashes so far. Worst of all I'm getting like at least 60 fps plus a more stable framerate.

7 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

Ok, now I undervolted it by 50v and reduced the frequency and no crashes so far. Worst of all I'm getting like at least 60 fps plus a more stable framerate.

Were you running the GPU overclocked? Or stock, typically when you get a card that can't work properly stock, but it works undervolted from stock, that would mean it's worn out. I've seen it quite a bit when people have bought used cards that were used for mining and they're so beat to shit they don't work even with stock clocks and voltages anymore. 

If you were overclocking, that means you just had an unstable OC configured.

23 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Were you running the GPU overclocked? Or stock, typically when you get a card that can't work properly stock, but it works undervolted from stock, that would mean it's worn out. I've seen it quite a bit when people have bought used cards that were used for mining and they're so beat to shit they don't work even with stock clocks and voltages anymore. 

Oh no, not even gonna try to overclock it. If this works, well, if it works I'll report back to you guys. The PC shop that gave me the asus b650ef told me I need to wait a month to get a new one so that's shit but at least undervolting really helped, I saw no FPS loss, just gain and my power draw fell drastically. 

Thanks for all the help everyone!

On a side note, non-usable ram, broken motherboard chipset, need to undervolt gpu to keep it stable, what a build...
Worst of all the guy swore on his childs life that he only used it for gaming in war thunder and fortnite...

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Here's something interesting, monitoring GPU Z my GPU seems to have a 96 hotspot 6 seconds into a match, plus it really does have a strange fan spin on it, almost sounds like those cheap toy fans you buy in a dollar store.

1 hour ago, BigBoss01 said:

Worst of all the guy swore on his childs life that he only used it for gaming in war thunder and fortnite...

That's a yikes from me, dawg. 

32 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

Here's something interesting, monitoring GPU Z my GPU seems to have a 96 hotspot 6 seconds into a match, plus it really does have a strange fan spin on it, almost sounds like those cheap toy fans you buy in a dollar store.

Might need to be repasted, you could use MSI afterburner to adjust the fan curve as well. Honestly though, really just sounds like you got scammed. I wouldn't trust someone that swears on a kids life they didn't use the card for mining, the fact that they said that or brought it up(especially if you didn't ask) is a red flag. 

51 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That's a yikes from me, dawg. 

Might need to be repasted, you could use MSI afterburner to adjust the fan curve as well. Honestly though, really just sounds like you got scammed. I wouldn't trust someone that swears on a kids life they didn't use the card for mining, the fact that they said that or brought it up(especially if you didn't ask) is a red flag. 

Looks like I live and I learn....

Time to watch a YouTube tutorial on repasting it and replacing the thermal pads. Also, do you know a good shop that would ship me the thermal pads to the old continent?

1 hour ago, BigBoss01 said:

Looks like I live and I learn....

Time to watch a YouTube tutorial on repasting it and replacing the thermal pads. Also, do you know a good shop that would ship me the thermal pads to the old continent?

I don't. sorrry. Best places I've found are Amazon and Ebay for thermal pads. Unless you want specialty pads those are the best places. Otherwise you'd need to talk to local places.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

I don't. sorrry. Best places I've found are Amazon and Ebay for thermal pads. Unless you want specialty pads those are the best places. Otherwise you'd need to talk to local places.

Looks like temps are ok now but this baby is crashing like there's not tomorrow in every game I've played. Going to the seller tomorrow. 

On 3/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

I feel like an idiot, the newest bios update fixed the issue....

5 minutes ago, BigBoss01 said:

I feel like an idiot, the newest bios update fixed the issue....

The newest GPU bios or motherboard?