advice on an upcoming build?

ellow! :]

i'm starting out my first build soon, and it's been a long time coming. i've been watching LTT with my dad since 2016 and i've dreamt of building a pc ever since. i've been slowly but surely researching what i would value in a desktop, and i believe i've narrowed it down enough to really make a decision. longevity, gaming & creative performance, and stability. i'm a mac junkie (lol) but i've always been fascinated by more windows-oriented hardware, and there's *way* more support for the things i'm interested in on windows based platforms. this will be the first windows machine i actually own myself - not a tower from school, my dad's employer, or my mom's old laptops and desktops covered in dust down in the depths of our unfinished basement. i really don't want to mess something up with the selection of components i've chosen, and i've done all the outside research i can about the parts i've *maybe* settled on. so, i'm hoping there's some people on this forum who can help me make sure my build is the best as it can be. oh, also, i'm willing to spend $1500-2000 USD on this. i already have the case and case fans, but they're included in the list to give more context and make sure everything fits.

here's the link to my pcpartpicker list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ktzHC6

thanks so much in advance, and i'm excited to get building!

-- s1llyg00fster!

just a silly little guy who likes tech ^_^

Just an advise, maybe put relevant information in a clearer format and not a long paragraph.

If you don't intend to do GPU related productivity workload.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DKxWFg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($327.96 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($55.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 CORE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($579.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($30.00)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F120SK 50 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor  ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1848.88

If you do, just change the GPU to Nvidia, worse gaming performance but way better productivity performance.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XTVbbK
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Rev 2.0 GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB Video Card  ($547.55 @ Amazon)
Total: $1816.44

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

why do you have thermal compound but no cooler? if you are just using the stock cooler it should come with thermal paste. i would recommend using a noctua nh-d15s. also you might want to consider 32 gigs of ddr5 instead of 16 as a way to future proof for incremental price increase. for the gpu, i would recommend an RX 6800 from amd because it will perform much better for only slightly more. also has better ray tracing capability. for your ssd you may want to go with 2tb just to future proof and be safe. heres my list you can use as a reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/seomen/saved/7VNckL also 1200w is WAYYY too much for a psu when ur system only need at most 750w at current config when pcpartpicker says u only need 374w

Screenshot 2023-03-29 21.42.43.png

Screenshot 2023-03-29 21.39.31.png

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__ is a w

4 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB Video Card

why lhr? 3070s are readily available for decent prices now

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

@Bob__ is a w

28 minutes ago, s1llyg00fster said:

ellow! :]

i'm starting out my first build soon, and it's been a long time coming. i've been watching LTT with my dad since 2016 and i've dreamt of building a pc ever since. i've been slowly but surely researching what i would value in a desktop, and i believe i've narrowed it down enough to really make a decision. longevity, gaming & creative performance, and stability. i'm a mac junkie (lol) but i've always been fascinated by more windows-oriented hardware, and there's *way* more support for the things i'm interested in on windows based platforms. this will be the first windows machine i actually own myself - not a tower from school, my dad's employer, or my mom's old laptops and desktops covered in dust down in the depths of our unfinished basement. i really don't want to mess something up with the selection of components i've chosen, and i've done all the outside research i can about the parts i've *maybe* settled on. so, i'm hoping there's some people on this forum who can help me make sure my build is the best as it can be. oh, also, i'm willing to spend $1500-2000 USD on this. i already have the case and case fans, but they're included in the list to give more context and make sure everything fits.

here's the link to my pcpartpicker list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ktzHC6

thanks so much in advance, and i'm excited to get building!

-- s1llyg00fster!

Hello... I completely redid your list as yours was kinda all over the place. I have been building PCs for 30 years and I made you a list that not only makes complete sense but works really well together. I hope you like it and just FYI... Windows 10 or 11 is free to install and I threw in a Air Cooler for the CPU and got you a killer monitor included. If you have any questions please let me know.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZvhG9r

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($316.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 V3 BLACK 77.8 CFM CPU Cooler  ($51.59 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($132.58 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($71.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($80.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($586.83 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205 Mesh C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($135.15 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Enermax REVOLUTION D.F. 2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27VQM 27.0" 1920 x 1080 240 Hz Curved Monitor  ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2035.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-29 21:52 EDT-0400

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

9 minutes ago, McrP87 said:

why lhr? 3070s are readily available for decent prices now

Do you know what LHR means and why it doesnt matter anymore?

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Just now, Dukesilver27- said:

Do you know what LHR means and why it doesnt matter anymore?

it like nerfs crypto capabilty (at least eth) right?

@Bob__ is a w

@Dukesilver27-

- thank you so much!! i'll definitely take all of those into consideration!!!

@McrP87

- ope, i forgot thermal paste came with the cpu + cooler lol. looking at it now, amd definitely makes more sense for what i'd be using it for (nvidia also doesn't have great driver support on linux, which isn't that much of a dealbreaker but is something to note). i'll consider upgrading to 2tb as well - i have a lot of extra storage lying around in my house so i assumed i could just use that, but it would be nice having that storage out of the box without having to move around files and that sort of stuff. also yeah that's a pretty good point lol - i was asking my mom about power supplies (no idea why *that's* the only thing i explicitly asked for her advice on lol) and she said "more is better!" so i'll totally make that a more rational choice lol.

thanks everyone for your help on this and i'm excited to make more improvements!

no problem!

@Bob__ is a w

2 minutes ago, McrP87 said:

it like nerfs crypto capabilty (at least eth) right?

So what was your point? GPU mining is dead, no other coin is worth mining anymore.

@PC HEROES

- thank you so much!! this makes so much sense now. i'm definitely taking the advice on going the AMD route for GPU after reading through this advice, and this list packages it all up with a nice little figurative bow on top! thank you for your help, i'll be sure to post a photo once i get all the components!! 😄