Changed case and temps rose 15 degrees

brandongaming33
Go to solution Solved by brandongaming33,

I figured out the issue, and this one is still confusing me as to how it happened. Somehow one of the 4 holes in the backplate for the CPU cooler was partially stripped, so it wasn't fully threading making the cooler not make good contact. Now mind you I haven't removed the cooler since I built the PC, and the thermals were normal when I built it, so somehow while either sitting in the case, or being moved to the new case the threads were stripped. Anyways, fairly cheap fix in the end at least.

So I did a case swap this afternoon from my old antec nine hundred to a new Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB, the case looks very nice and everything, but my CPU temps have risen like 15 degrees from the change (went from around 70 to 75 C in the old case to 85 to 90 C under load). Now I hadn't done a recent temp test in the old case before I did the swap, and gaming is the most intensive thing I do which doesn't hit the CPU too hard, so it may have been something else that was also effecting the other case but I just didn't notice. From what I've seen online it doesn't seem like it's an issue with the case in general, it seems to get fairly average temps for a mid range case which I would think would be in line, if not better than my old one. The weirdest thing is that my GPU temps seem in line with what they were in the old case, right around 70~ C, and I would think an airflow issue would affect both the CPU and GPU. The only thing I can think of is either the CPU cooler somehow isn't making good contact now, or the extra fans in the old case made that much of a difference, which I doubt because it was much more closed off and used older fan designs.

Specs:
CPU: 5600g

cooler: stock in box cooler
GPU: 6650 xt
motherboard: MSI B550M-VC pro wifi

cases: antec nine hundred (old) and Fractal Design focus 2 rgb (new)
Factory fan configuration in both cases (2 140's in front for the fractal, and 2 120's up front, 1 120 in the rear, and 1 200 (maybe?) up top for the antec)

Also the CPU cooler was not removed from the CPU/motherboard when I moved it over to the new case

Photo's on the inside of your case, specifically of all the fan placements, would help.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Here's the inside of the case, the fans are both in their default configuration (pulling air in). Yhey do both spin, they were just turning off when I took the picture because it was idling. I set a custom fan curve where they are at 0% speed up until 50 C, and then they hit 100% at 77 or 78.

PXL_20230329_191931334.jpg

I also tested with the default fan curve and it did not make a meaningful difference

I figured out the issue, and this one is still confusing me as to how it happened. Somehow one of the 4 holes in the backplate for the CPU cooler was partially stripped, so it wasn't fully threading making the cooler not make good contact. Now mind you I haven't removed the cooler since I built the PC, and the thermals were normal when I built it, so somehow while either sitting in the case, or being moved to the new case the threads were stripped. Anyways, fairly cheap fix in the end at least.