The WORST PCs Linus Tech Tips Ever Built

mynameGeoff

is it worse than the hotwheels pc?
I guess they didnt build it though

Nobody mentioned the puke yellow (ASUS?) motherboard colour?

I'm slowly counting all the same parts I had as Linus back in the day.  lol

From the first custom watercooling setup, was the Swiftech block a Storm series (designed by Cathar of Little River Water Blocks)?

Was funny to see the Iwaki in the era before small purpose build units were designed.

They're all pretty awesome for their times.   You know like a high end calculator from now is a better set up than a PC from then, much less our phones.  One thing I do not miss is CRT monitors.  Great screens but heavy as a battleship.  

The most awesome setup IMHO at 7:54 seconds.   Then you know it's working.  

21 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Not unusual in the era though. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Not unusual in the era though. 

I know I had a similar one. No one commented how things have changed since is was the norm.

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

That was the colour of quality back then.... If I were to guess, that was an A7N8X-E motherboard... a classic!!! Had one myself, and it was amazing. Loved that nforce chipset.

Ah, the early 2000s modding scene. What a great time to be alive.

This was my effort from 2001-2004. I think most of the paint work and windows were done when I was ~13 , but the water cooling was added a couple years later(2004).

Feel free to use in a roast video.

HPIM1208.JPG

Back in the early 2000s, I was too cheap (and broke) to water cool my badass $300 Socket 478 Celeron PC. I made an "intake duct" out of two plastic cups duct taped together and zip tied to my $20 "Just for PC" case's side vent and pressed against my "Ultra" brand heatsink.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I have a lot of that hardware. Much of it is still working. Everything from the ATI AIW to the Q6600, same EVGA board, same Onkyo receiver  / cat perch. 

A lot of this is on my old and dead hardware wall as well. I should post some photos.

I relate so hard to the UV build.  I did literally the exact same thing. but i flattened a paperclip and got UV reactive molex connectors.  Several hours and shredded fingers later and it actually won an award at a lan party.  

DFI lan party board, UV cold cathode tubes.  It was baller AF.  

Best clip of the video:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNF-36TrtuocMm8lIPuAlSFAg9jp13BSQ

I can't be the only simpleton who giggled at this, can I?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

I love "Self-proclaimed Neo" under Luke's name during the intro. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I completely forgot Mushkin was a thing once NCIX died... honestly since then, the hardware selection on the west coast has been rather mediocre. Noctua coolers are barely even a thing at Canada Computers and Memory Express. Can't find a redux even if I wanted to, have to go to Amazon for that...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

the luke...reply.

on your going to be late for the meeting..

luke calmly says.

am his boss......

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Hmmmmm yes..... 

I do think Linus has an excentric taste! i was born in 1999, in 2008-2010ish i saw my uncle's computer, it was the coolest thing in the world for me Athlon 64, ATX graphics card, red heatsink GSkill RAM, AND the green cables on the power supply. Today 2023, i built my first computer using his old case, an Apevia ATX X-alien from 2003. ASUS Z590 TUF GAMING, i5-11600KF, HyperX Fury Beast 16x2, Noctua NH-15S, GTX EVGA 1660 and a old 950 (for second HDMI screen). i bought (same as linus) the UV Green cable sleeves and heatshrink black and went to town, some DIY Blacklight hidden inside. Im pretty happy with the result, turned out really cool, i dont often turn on the light, i fear they get too hot. I created an account just for posting my computer i was really happy someone else enjoys black UV lights!

IMG_9510.jpg

E7FD448F-E542-4BDE-88F7-2719349E182C.JPG

0C317258-F6F5-4931-A847-BDCAFD22FCF5.jpg

4 hours ago, Kartikay-Agarwal said:

i dare people to make memes on this photo image.png.b1a86ebebe908dbd1176db8210413a0e.png

why? it's a generic photo of Linus, there is nothing that makes it special.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I want more builds like this in LTT videos @LinusTech!

Jankiness is more fun than clinical builds with off the shelf stuff. Do it with modern parts, but more home made solutions and making what you have fit/work with out using LMGs fancy workshop.

Also great nostalgia for me, I'm a couple of years older than Linus but the stuff he uses was what I used in the end of my computer building years (I became a Mac person 15 years ago). 

That video somehow made me feel a lot better about my past PC setups 😂

2108013672_veryoldsetup.jpg.a0b98d6ae04f6bb48c5de7604c91bca3.jpg

This is the oldest setup picture I have from 2009 with my then still pretty new semi-custom PC (it was technically a prebuilt since I was able to get a great deal on those through my dads work but I bought the GPU and some other upgrade parts separately). Intel Core2Quad Q8200, Nvidia GeForce 9600GT.

Old_setup.thumb.jpg.0b462de2550a7dd6ae1da7834e0535af.jpg

And then this was the first "okay, I have a job and some actual money now" setup, circa 2014. Clearly I've always had a thing for many monitors 😄

I had so much money in fact that I went for an X79 build for no particular reason other than being able to upgrade to SLI later (which I luckily never did). In hindsight though it was an accidentally smart decision, because I sure as hell wouldn't have been able to keep any other platform for 9 years (Xeon 1680V2 is a real MVP).

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

On 3/30/2023 at 4:40 AM, joystickmayhem said:

Today 2023, i built my first computer using his old case, an Apevia ATX X-alien from 2003. 

I had and used nearly this same case. Antec made it originally and it had an aluminum interior. I sold it maybe 2 years ago. An excellent case for the time!

Apparently everybody was re-using that chassis back then. It was the Antec PlusView from 2003. At MicroCenter it was sold as an Antec X-Alien with those alien grills.