Jump to content

Stuggeling to get my new build working

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on my new build, however I have stuggled quite a bit until now, however the moment of truth came, and my debug LED's on the mainboard showed errors on both the CPU and RAM while the fans are spinning.
I have worked on a fair computers and servers before, however I never came across any major issues I was unable to sort out on my own.

This I the build I'm trying to complete: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/k9cBk9

My troubleshooting steps this far included the following:

  1. Reseating both RAM modules -> no change
  2. Swapping and reseating RAM modules -> no change
  3. Swapping RAM Slots (to the one you shouldn't popularise first) -> no change
  4. Checking if CPU is installed correctly -> triangle is alinged correctly, also AM5 is the most user friendly socket -> no change
  5. Checking each RAM module individually -> no change
  6. Checking the socket for bent pins, no-> no change
     

While I have multiple DDR4 RAM kits, I have neither a spare DDR5 kit, nor an AM5 CPU to troubleshoot further.
Is there anything I can troubleshoot further before get spare parts in in order to rule out the issues?

My best guess is, that neither the CPU nor the RAM are defect, but rather the mainboard, as I think this would be much more probable than having two new components are dead on arrival.
 


Kind regards
Solarleuchte



 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Call the motherboard manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Call the motherboard manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.

Thank you, I just called MSI, and they mentioned that I can try to flash a new BIOS.
Will see what this path holds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Solarleuchte said:

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on my new build, however I have stuggled quite a bit until now, however the moment of truth came, and my debug LED's on the mainboard showed errors on both the CPU and RAM while the fans are spinning.
I have worked on a fair computers and servers before, however I never came across any major issues I was unable to sort out on my own.

This I the build I'm trying to complete: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/k9cBk9

My troubleshooting steps this far included the following:

  1. Reseating both RAM modules -> no change
  2. Swapping and reseating RAM modules -> no change
  3. Swapping RAM Slots (to the one you shouldn't popularise first) -> no change
  4. Checking if CPU is installed correctly -> triangle is alinged correctly, also AM5 is the most user friendly socket -> no change
  5. Checking each RAM module individually -> no change
  6. Checking the socket for bent pins, no-> no change
     

While I have multiple DDR4 RAM kits, I have neither a spare DDR5 kit, nor an AM5 CPU to troubleshoot further.
Is there anything I can troubleshoot further before get spare parts in in order to rule out the issues?

My best guess is, that neither the CPU nor the RAM are defect, but rather the mainboard, as I think this would be much more probable than having two new components are dead on arrival.
 


Kind regards
Solarleuchte



 

UEFI/BIOS update. I think 32GB DIMMs can be a problem on some motherboards, so keep that in mind.

 

Do you get a CPU LED if you try to POST without any RAM or just a RAM LED?

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Agall said:

UEFI/BIOS update. I think 32GB DIMMs can be a problem on some motherboards, so keep that in mind.

 

Do you get a CPU LED if you try to POST without any RAM or just a RAM LED?

When there is no CPU, RAM, GPU installed I still both both the CPU and RAM LED on, no other debug led.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

BIOS on the mainboard should be updated to Version 7D76vA41, which is the latest from MSi support page.

I say should, because I don't understand the feedback from the white LED in the top left next to the flash button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Solarleuchte said:

BIOS on the mainboard should be updated to Version 7D76vA41, which is the latest from MSi support page.

I say should, because I don't understand the feedback from the white LED in the top left next to the flash button.

Okay, after watching videos on it, I know how to read the white falshing LED.
BIOS is definitly updated. However after installing the CPU and one stick of RAM, both the CPU and RAM led are still on.

I guess I'll have to RMA this board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×