Is it normal that these two services has access to microphone?

VoidThinker

Today I bought microphone and while testing it I saw that in Settings -->Privacy-->Microphone under Allow desktop app to access your microphone these two services appeared (it says currently using microphone):

- Host Process for Windows Services

- Windows host process

Is that normal? Is that part of Windows telemetry?

27 minutes ago, VoidThinker said:

Today I bought microphone and while testing it I saw that in Settings -->Privacy-->Microphone under Allow desktop app to access your microphone these two services appeared (it says currently using microphone):

- Windows host process

Spying is part of just about everything these days.  I manually turn it off when I can, but it’s not trustable.  My personal move is to only plug in a microphone when I actually use it, and when it is plugged in I assume anything said near it is public.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

some applications use a 'windows workaround way'  to access microphone, so that listing isnt always accurante.

turn  it off and find out what was requesting access to the microphone, because that will no longer work.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:46 AM, VoidThinker said:

- Windows host process

• Windows host process is the Legacy Sound Panel. The moment you open it and go to the Record tab, it is enabled. This is for the mic volume tracking.
    750160539_Screenshot2023-03-31110504.thumb.png.af376a376e4767d8c6e26952effea940.png
  • As for "Host Process for Windows Services" This sadly can be anything. A Win32 application can directly use a microphone, which will show in the list for itself, or could implement legacy Windows way and that is going through the Windows service. In my case, it was the audio driver control panel which I removed.