USB-C to HDMI crashed windows

Go to solution Solved by AC5SHOT,

Hey just a update for all (which I thought I had already added months ago yikes)

after having had spoken with ASUS and doing the whole repair/return process it turned out the issue was caused (and is still able to be caused) in those particular parameters due to how the board is designed and windows 11 specifically 

the board doesn’t prevent a over-current through the way the adaptor attaches and windows 11 doesn’t have a limit …..1+1 = boom

that said I am very happy to say that ASUS was very cool throughout the whole process and game me my money back as well as a 10% voucher for the ASUS store so I couldn’t be happier and apologies for the late update 

Hi all sorry for bothering but I desperately need help

I have a ASUS TUF Dash F15 FX516PR

https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/2021-asus-tuf-dash-f15/helpdesk_download/?model2Name=FX516PR

and whenever I attempt to connect to my external display through my usb-c to hdmi adaptor (QDOS) 

https://www.qdossound.com/products/qdos-powerlink-combi
windows will do the detected new display animation and then immediately proceed to freeze 

(Built in hdmi display out is use for my main monitor)

I do feel the need to point out that the usb-c hub can be plugged in and have other devices in use without causing a crash … that is until a hdmi cable is plugged into it , and that I have been using it every day without any hassles for it to magically not work a few days ago

the HDMI can be plugged into the usb-c and when the computer is in bios mode and the computer won’t crash which reaffirms my thoughts that it is a windows issue and not a power surge issue 

have also tested different hubs and tv’s and still causes crash

adapters and tvs all work fine with a different computer also 

I have attempted the following fixes 

Windows reinstall (clean)

installed all new driver and bios 

https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/2021-asus-tuf-dash-f15/helpdesk_download/?model2Name=FX516PR

updated all drivers in device manager (literally all)

removed/reinstalled all drivers in device manager (literally all) 

used intel driver and support assist (all up to date)

my ASUS (all up to date)

usb-c to hub runs fine with nothing else plugged/as well as everything plugged in (other than the hdmi)

monitor is a standard Samsung tv , but did insure windows was set to 60 fps in settings and display settings 

windows will crash on windows boot if usb-c hdmi is pre plugged 

I honestly don’t know what else to try 

looking forward to any responses 

sincerely 

AC

** updating attempted fixed list as is suggested/attempted 

Edited by AC5SHOT
Updates

19 minutes ago, AC5SHOT said:

Hi all sorry for bothering but I desperately need help

I have a ASUS TUF Dash F15 FX516PR

and whenever I attempt to connect to my external display through my usb-c to hdmi adaptor (QDOS) 

https://www.qdossound.com/products/qdos-powerlink-combi
windows will do the detected new display animation and then immediately proceed to freeze 

(Built in hdmi display out is use for my main monitor)

I do feel the need to point out that the usb-c hub can be plugged in and have other devices in use without causing a crash … that is until a hdmi cable is plugged into it , and that I have been using it every day without any hassles for it to magically not work a few days ago

the HDMI can be plugged into the usb-c and when the computer is in bios mode and the computer won’t crash which reaffirms my thoughts that it is a windows issue and not a power surge issue 

I have attempted the following fixes 

Windows reinstall (clean)

installed all new driver and bios 

updated all drivers in device manager (literally all)

removed/reinstalled all drivers in device manager (literally all) 

used intel driver and support assist (all up to date)

my ASUS (all up to date)

I honestly don’t know what else to try 

looking forward to any responses 

sincerely 

AC

hey so i can recomend unpluging evrey usb device other than the dispaly adapter and lav it to run and see if it crashes

if the monitor is a "gaming monitor" try turning off the fps overclocking so that the monitor and as well in display settings in windows is running at 60htz (saw a differ thread)

33 minutes ago, GOATWD said:

hey so i can recomend unpluging evrey usb device other than the dispaly adapter and lav it to run and see if it crashes

Hey thanks for the attempt but even if no port is full or if every port is full it won’t cause a crash until the device has a hdmi plugged in 

27 minutes ago, sixpi0dnine said:

if the monitor is a "gaming monitor" try turning off the fps overclocking so that the monitor and as well in display settings in windows is running at 60htz (saw a differ thread)

Hey thanks for the recommendation but it is a standard monitor/tv and display settings in windows is set to 60htz default  

were you able to solve it I'm having the same problem, I think it's due to a windows update

I made an account just to say I have had the same problem in the last few days. I did a clean reset of windows 11, updated all drivers, and troubleshooted as much as possible. The laptop still crashes every time I try to connect an HDMI cable to the usb-c dock. This is a very new problem. If anyone figures out the problem please let us know!

Hello, anyone has some success with this trouble? I'm expecting the same issue here... 

• 8 months later...

Hey just a update for all (which I thought I had already added months ago yikes)

after having had spoken with ASUS and doing the whole repair/return process it turned out the issue was caused (and is still able to be caused) in those particular parameters due to how the board is designed and windows 11 specifically 

the board doesn’t prevent a over-current through the way the adaptor attaches and windows 11 doesn’t have a limit …..1+1 = boom

that said I am very happy to say that ASUS was very cool throughout the whole process and game me my money back as well as a 10% voucher for the ASUS store so I couldn’t be happier and apologies for the late update