Newbie Question. Wanna upgrade ssd on my laptop. Should i apply thermal pad to it?

Go to solution Solved by _Omega_,
10 minutes ago, fndrsm said:

Hey, newbie question. Wanna do an upgrade to my ssd on laptop. I have thinkpad X280, wanna upgrade the ssd to 512/1 TB. And i will need ssd enclosure, which came with additional thermal pad on it for long term use of ssd external. So should i apply those thermal pad on my ssd replacement on the laptop? I just use my laptop to editing maybe, not much gaming. Thanks.

it only makes sense if the thermal pad can touch the PCB (of the laptop) or any metal part even if its just the back of the SSD. If not its acting more like an insulator 

Hey, newbie question. Wanna do an upgrade to my ssd on laptop. I have thinkpad X280, wanna upgrade the ssd to 512/1 TB. And i will need ssd enclosure, which came with additional thermal pad on it for long term use of ssd external. So should i apply those thermal pad on my ssd replacement on the laptop? I just use my laptop to editing maybe, not much gaming. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, fndrsm said:

it only makes sense if the thermal pad can touch the PCB (of the laptop) or any metal part even if its just the back of the SSD. If not its acting more like an insulator 

40 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

So if the ssd might be touching the back cover (i have read somewhere if the back cover of the x280 is supposed to be a metal maybe) so i should put the thermal pad onto the back cover. like this image from ifixit.com. The ssd is the top right side of the battery.

PIrBlwPDQyt2dFSZ.jpeg

4 minutes ago, fndrsm said:

So if the ssd might be touching the back cover (i have read somewhere if the back cover of the x280 is supposed to be a metal maybe) so i should put the thermal pad onto the back cover. like this image from ifixit.com. The ssd is the top right side of the battery.

PIrBlwPDQyt2dFSZ.jpeg

well it seems like there is already a thermal pad, if it touches the new SSD, just keep the old one. Or am i missing a second M.2 Slot?

23 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

well it seems like there is already a thermal pad, if it touches the new SSD, just keep the old one. Or am i missing a second M.2 Slot?

i see, i just bought this machine for about 4 weeks ago. and the waranty from the seller still active, so i cannot open the back cover. maybe next week, so i can see how the inside.

and i think there is no second slot m.2. Only one. so i have to replace the existing with the new one. And i cannott use the WWAN slot for storage because lenovo not configure this thing, unlike the previous generation of T series or X series which can use the WWAN slot for storage purpose.

BTW, thanks for the reply tho, you really help me.