Average Temps for 13700K & 13900K with Custom Loop?

Hi everyone

I’m considering doing a full custom loop build for a 13700K or 13900K (not sure which one yet) and an RTX 4090 most likely the MSI Trio (but from what I understand that doesn’t matter as much because the cooler will be coming off)

My question is, is the custom loop worth it? Does it actually make a significant difference in temperature and performance for everything?

Would I get the same results using a 360mm AIO for the CPU and getting something like the MSI Suprim Liquid or using the NZXT Kraken with the MSI Trio?

Any help/input would be super appreciated!

If you’re also able to share your build details like what temps you’re getting and what you used that would also be really helpful!

Just now, TL30 said:

Hi everyone

I’m considering doing a full custom loop build for a 13700K or 13900K (not sure which one yet) and an RTX 4090 most likely the MSI Trio (but from what I understand that doesn’t matter as much because the cooler will be coming off)

My question is, is the custom loop worth it? Does it actually make a significant difference in temperature and performance for everything?

Would I get the same results using a 360mm AIO for the CPU and getting something like the MSI Suprim Liquid or using the NZXT Kraken with the MSI Trio?

Any help/input would be super appreciated!

If you’re also able to share your build details like what temps you’re getting and what you used that would also be really helpful!

better off with a 13700k because it has nearly the same performance as the 13900k but with none of the heat issues and with a 13700k and a custom loop your temps will be golden. You don't need to get a custom loop, for a 13900k its basically essential but for the 13700k an aio like the arctic liquid freezer II 360 will be very good. 

2 minutes ago, TL30 said:

I don't have such a high thermal load build with a 5600 but i've oced it so that now it pulls 105watts and my arctic liquid freezer 280 does a very good job of cooling it (never breaks 60) with 4.6 gigahertz

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Why do you want custom loop?

If its for noise then sure itd be pretty worth it depending on how sensitive you are to noise and the noise floor or whatever its called of your room

If its for overclocking then i strongly suggest avoiding a normal custom loop and go for ghetto loop which is essentially just using a car radiator as the rad aka the old school way of watercooling, much lower cost than those tiny little pc rads with much more performance for the same price. Iirc linus made a vid with acar radiator loop a few years back and indeed it outperformed a regular custom loop, although do beware that a decent amount of diying is required, cad rads are huge so no way youll be fitting the thing in a case (aside from truning it into a sidepanel or something) and youll need a mix of 20% antifreeze 80% water to mitigate galvanic corrosion. I guess you could also do this for noise assuming you use a quiet pump but a normal loop will be alot more compact

Aios are alot more convenient though, sure they wont beat the sheer cooling capacity of a regular loop let alone a ghetto car radiator loop but theyll still perform pretty well in regards to noise. Id reccomend the liquid freezer ii aios as theyre the best on the market with ek aios being an equivalent

13700k if you dont need the extra ecores, 13900k if you need the extra ecores

1 hour ago, filpo said:

better off with a 13700k because it has nearly the same performance as the 13900k but with none of the heat issues and with a 13700k and a custom loop your temps will be golden. You don't need to get a custom loop, for a 13900k its basically essential but for the 13700k an aio like the arctic liquid freezer II 360 will be very good. 

I don't have such a high thermal load build with a 5600 but i've oced it so that now it pulls 105watts and my arctic liquid freezer 280 does a very good job of cooling it (never breaks 60) with 4.6 gigahertz

From what I understand these new CPUs run even hotter than the old ones so I’m not sure. I think if I’m going down the AIO route I would probably get the H150i with the LCD because I already have a bunch of Corsair stuff. 

36 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Why do you want custom loop?

If its for noise then sure itd be pretty worth it depending on how sensitive you are to noise and the noise floor or whatever its called of your room

If its for overclocking then i strongly suggest avoiding a normal custom loop and go for ghetto loop which is essentially just using a car radiator as the rad aka the old school way of watercooling, much lower cost than those tiny little pc rads with much more performance for the same price. Iirc linus made a vid with acar radiator loop a few years back and indeed it outperformed a regular custom loop, although do beware that a decent amount of diying is required, cad rads are huge so no way youll be fitting the thing in a case (aside from truning it into a sidepanel or something) and youll need a mix of 20% antifreeze 80% water to mitigate galvanic corrosion. I guess you could also do this for noise assuming you use a quiet pump but a normal loop will be alot more compact

Aios are alot more convenient though, sure they wont beat the sheer cooling capacity of a regular loop let alone a ghetto car radiator loop but theyll still perform pretty well in regards to noise. Id reccomend the liquid freezer ii aios as theyre the best on the market with ek aios being an equivalent

13700k if you dont need the extra ecores, 13900k if you need the extra ecores

Not sure which CPU I’ll go with yet, but when it comes to the custom loop I’m a beginner so I don’t think I’ll be able to do anything that complex. 

I also heard that these CPUs run extremely hot so sometimes AIOs don’t cut it and can have idle temps at 40 C and load temps 100 C so I thought maybe a custom loop would help. 

What do you think?

3 hours ago, TL30 said:

Not sure which CPU I’ll go with yet, but when it comes to the custom loop I’m a beginner so I don’t think I’ll be able to do anything that complex. 

I also heard that these CPUs run extremely hot so sometimes AIOs don’t cut it and can have idle temps at 40 C and load temps 100 C so I thought maybe a custom loop would help. 

What do you think?

Just go for a liquid freezer ii or equivalent ek/deepcool aio

Unless you are a smart buyer and dont get ripped off by buying overpriced stuff like ek (buying alternatives like barrow, bykski, alphacool, etc.) Custom loop are still quite abit more expensive than an aio (~200$ for a cheap actually half decent loop with a 60mm barrow/bykski copper 360/480 rad)