Will my EVGA 500w W1 fail?

jsnotlout1
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

BR series is a bit better than W1, but they're both still bronze efficiency, cheap (budget) power supplies. 

If you don't mind that it's not modular,  Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600w gold efficiency is $65 : https://amazon.com/dp/B087CDR14Z

You get gold efficiency, 5 years warranty, around 550w on 12v ... it's much better than those EVGA models. 

A second option would be this Antec NeoECO Gold Zen Series NE500G Zen 500W ATX12V 2.4 80 Plus Gold Certified Non-Modular Active PFC Power Supply  at 70$ : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0817DXRPX?th=1

It's good internals  but the thermaltake has better value (600w vs 500w for 5$ less)

I'd say it would be worth returning the 500 W1 for either of the two above.

I have been making a pc recently and I bought a 500w EVGA W1 power supply to use. It had solid reviews on the store page. However. After some changes in my plans I may want to buy a rx 590 to use in my system (I was orignaly going to use an old 1060 i had but a 590 looks better). Seeing as this will reach up to 500 watts of power combined with my i3-12100f I'm not sure if it will work anymore. I can still return it on amazon, but I don't even know of any suitable replacements that won't bankrupt me. I then became more concerned after I saw people saying it might fry my components. I know this topic is all over the place but I just need some help figuring it out.

tldr: Will my 500w EVGA W1 blow up? If not will it even handle my i3-12100f and rx 590?

Should I step up my budget to a 5700 xt? Its not that much more and the performance is much better. although I doubt my i3-12100f will keep up.

42 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

I have been making a pc recently and I bought a 500w EVGA W1 power supply to use. It had solid reviews on the store page. However. After some changes in my plans I may want to buy a rx 590 to use in my system (I was orignaly going to use an old 1060 i had but a 590 looks better). Seeing as this will reach up to 500 watts of power combined with my i3-12100f I'm not sure if it will work anymore. I can still return it on amazon, but I don't even know of any suitable replacements that won't bankrupt me. I then became more concerned after I saw people saying it might fry my components. I know this topic is all over the place but I just need some help figuring it out.

tldr: Will my 500w EVGA W1 blow up? If not will it even handle my i3-12100f and rx 590?

You're listening to the wrong people, they told the same thing for my old PSU in my previous build, it worked great and works great to this day. 

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gainward RTX 3060 Ti | 2x16GB 3200MHz | Samsung 980 1TB | 1 TB WD Blue | 120GB A400 Kingston Gigabyte M2 NVME 512GB  | BeQuite Straight Power11 80+ Gold 750W

The w1 is super low end. Its F-tier on the psu teir list. It probably has enough wattage its just that its really low quality and I wouldnt expect it to be reliable.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS (Both use no DSC, No HDR, and 8BPC)

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

As long as it wont explode I think it will be fine for me. I've had low end stuff in the past and it doesnt fail nearly as often as I've been lead to believe.

Newegg calculator probably goes by the video card manufacturer recommendations, which are not based on the actual power consumption of the video card. 

A video card manufacturer has no idea how much power other components in your computer will use, so they just pick a number that's guaranteed to give them the least amount of stress as in as few as possible tech support calls / emails, least RMAs and so on. 

A RX590 consumes maybe up to 230-250 watts from the 12v output of the power supply. For very short  bursts (like for 5ms every once in a while), it may consume up to 300w.

A 5700XT consumes up to around 220 watts, with the same peaks of up to around 250 watts for very short periods of time, like 5-10ms, and mostly in benchmarks.

Your 12100F consumes maybe up to 50 watts, from the same 12v output of the power supply. 

The rest in your system is very low power ... fans consume 1-2w from 12v, chipset and ram is powered from 3.3v and 5v output and usually it's little, 5-10w for chipset, 2-3w per stick of ram, a ssd consumes 3-5w during writing to it, less than 1-2 when reading 

So in the case of a 5700XT, any power supply that can supply at least 250w (video card)+50w (cpu) + 25-50w (for anything else) on the 12v output would work for you 

The 500w W1 can supply that much power ... but it's not a great choice for such video cards because they're quite inefficient at such high power consumption, which means they'll produce a lot of heat, and a power supply like W1 is the kind where they cut corners and use less efficient components to make it very cheap and good enough to just last the warranty time and a bit more, and they're hoping they're gonna be used in equally cheap systems that won't use such power hungry video cards.

If the cheap fan it's supplied with fails while you're gaming, there's a good chance the power supply would not be able to handle the heat produced due to the poor efficiency and the power supply could break down.

between 5700xt and rx 590, it makes sense to go with 5700xt as it's newer generation and will have longer support in drivers in the future. 

Don't make your purchase choices based on cpu choking or not ... it's like  putting shit car tires on your car because your car's engine can't go fast - you can always upgrade the cpu later. 

BR series is a bit better than W1, but they're both still bronze efficiency, cheap (budget) power supplies. 

If you don't mind that it's not modular,  Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600w gold efficiency is $65 : https://amazon.com/dp/B087CDR14Z

You get gold efficiency, 5 years warranty, around 550w on 12v ... it's much better than those EVGA models. 

A second option would be this Antec NeoECO Gold Zen Series NE500G Zen 500W ATX12V 2.4 80 Plus Gold Certified Non-Modular Active PFC Power Supply  at 70$ : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0817DXRPX?th=1

It's good internals  but the thermaltake has better value (600w vs 500w for 5$ less)

I'd say it would be worth returning the 500 W1 for either of the two above.

thanks! I think I will return it, amazon returns aren't that hard and I'd rather be able to trust my psu more