Weird random forced standby issue on ACER laptop(s)

So here's the state of things:

I have 2 laptops for 2 of my colleagues at work. Both ACER (it will maybe become relevant later) but on different platforms - one is 11th gen Intel cpu with nvidia dedicated graphics and one is AMD (Ryzen 2nd gen) with dedicated AMD graphics.

Starting with the first one (the AMD variant) as it was stepped down from a executive to my colleague I installed a fresh copy of windows 10, updated the bios, updated drivers, installed the MS Office suite, installed syncthing, and a couple of other programs that we need for work, nothing special, nothing with virtual devices, so the usual stuff. All went smooth sailing on my part, and as I handed the device to the receiving end it began to randomly enter a sort of standby state: the screen turns off, the keyboard lights turn off and the keys themself become unresponsive for a couple of seconds (it varies from a short flick to a couple of seconds), sound goes off also, and when it "resumes" usually windows asks for re-login. The executive that had the notebook also reported this behaviour but to a less frequency.

I tried: event logger (nothing stands out), another outlet (we only use the original charger) as the one that we use regularly serves a large number of devices and PC's, used it on battery power, used it with a external monitor to rule out the ribbon cable to the in-built display, reinstalled the display drivers, reinstalled the chipset drivers, unplugged all the peripherals and used a bluetooth mouse to rule out a possible broken circuit on the USB's. Temps are well bellow 60 degrees (C) usually sitting at 37-40-45. The device is not used for gaming or resource intensive processes.

In the end we gave up, we called it a problem (gap in welds on the motherboard, or a semi-fried component) and we bought a new notebook (also a ACER at the request of the colleague).

The Intel 11th gen: same thing, but this time on windows 11, and Intel guts. 🙃 

We tried: same things. 🤣 I could also run a live version of linux or even install it for testing purposes but it's a "hot" device, my colleague works on it regardless of the problem every day and needs it actively.

I'm going crazy here. I'm pretty damn sure it's a software problem because across two platforms and different OS's the only thing that remain constant are the applications that we installed after the OS and drivers.

Please advise. This could possibly be the first time I got so mad I just stopped searching for the problem and blame it on ACER's device managent software or a clash between the firmware and a particular app in the system.

Devices.png

Installed programs.png

267905398_ACER11thgen.evtx Acer Intel 11th gen.txt

Edited by TTL.TM
misspellings

Now I don't know whether I've misread but cud it just be a logout timer or is it while they're being used? 

While they're being actively used, typing, using peripherals etc. Forgot to mention. Sleep timers are off when plugged and long when on battery. It's not a powercfg problem (at least from what I can tell)

Could you try boot to an external usb with an os on it test if its a Windows problem? 

Like I mentioned in the original post, yes, that could be a "easy" troubleshoot that I have yet to try. But it appears so random (it could be in the first few minutes, it could be in the last hour of the 8 hour workday and non-reapeating during this time. That's why it would be hard to stay on a external os and do productive work in the meantime. But, if it's a last resort I guess I could "sacrifice" a day to do some online stuff, and call it a day. Still I'm very curious as what's happening that causes this type of behavior.

I understand the external os problem so I get why that's not valid, and could be corrupt windows files that's causing this as I've had semi same issue before, " sfc /scannow " could fix 

Nope, still no result. The scan did finish, did some repairs but the log it generated is extremely long. The problem persist.

Tomorrow I will boot from a live Ubuntu Linux to rule out any hardware issues and I'll come back with the results.

Just did the Linux test. The problem persists. So I'm guessing it's a hardware or firmware bug. But it's incredible how this manifests over two different laptops each a different platform and generations apart.