BitLocker just encrypted a drive on my PC and I can't unlock it

GreekWasabi

I have Windows 11 Home (not Pro) and turned my PC on to discover that one of my storage drives is suddenly encrypted with BitLocker.  When I go to unlock it, I get an error message that the version of windows isn't compatible with the encryption.

The drive is actually an iscsi drive I've setup to my NAS.  It's not local.  Any idea how I can get this unlocked? 

Thank you!

image (1).png

image.png

37 minutes ago, GreekWasabi said:

I have Windows 11 Home (not Pro) and turned my PC on to discover that one of my storage drives is suddenly encrypted with BitLocker.  When I go to unlock it, I get an error message that the version of windows isn't compatible with the encryption.

The drive is actually an iscsi drive I've setup to my NAS.  It's not local.  Any idea how I can get this unlocked? 

Thank you!

image (1).png

image.png

Windows 11 Home doesn't use BitLocker, but rather a tuned down version called Drive Encryption. You should be able to turn it off from Settings  > Update & Security > Device encryption.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/device-encryption-in-windows-ad5dcf4b-dbe0-2331-228f-7925c2a3012d#:~:text=To turn on Windows device encryption&text=Select the Start button%2C then,turned off%2C select Turn on.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

20 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Windows 11 Home doesn't use BitLocker, but rather a tuned down version called Drive Encryption. You should be able to turn it off from Settings  > Update & Security > Device encryption.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/device-encryption-in-windows-ad5dcf4b-dbe0-2331-228f-7925c2a3012d#:~:text=To turn on Windows device encryption&text=Select the Start button%2C then,turned off%2C select Turn on.

Thank you.  However the device encryption is already disabled, and everywhere I look the drive is specifically BitLocker Encrypted. 

In sysinfo the "device encryption support" says "Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, WinRE is not configured."  And I definitely have Home, not Pro...

Is it possible to force decrypt in recovery mode or the command prompt? 

1.png

2.png

14 hours ago, spunk.funk said:

Yeah that's the thing I can't.... because I'm on Win 11 Home.... and I don't have access to bitlocker.

I honestly don't know how this happened.  I've never owned a Pro edition, yet BitLocker has this drive locked...

The instructions are for Windows 11?

Go to Search and type Control Panel and press Enter. Select BitLocker Drive Encryption. 

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

• 3 months later...

I had an issue with an office Laptop where the computer was convinced it was encrypted, but at the same time told me it wasn't whenever I tried to do something with it, but still wouldn't let me do it as suprise suprise it still blocked it thinking it was, so weird, anyway here's the solution that worked for me

Computer says Bitlocker isn't on/Used Space Only Encrypted But it is active -Solution

1. Check status
Open CMD/ Type: manage-bde -status

2. If says “ Decrypted “ or “ Used Space Only Encrypted “ but Bitlocker is enabled / blocking you from doing something to get it off….

Take these next steps…….

1. If it think bit locker is off, then enable it
Control Panel/ System and Security/ BitLocker Drive Encryption/ Turn Bitlocker On/ ( Restart computer normally )

2. Get the Bit locker key by repeating step 1 to get to the Bitlocker Menu in control panel
Click Backup BitLocker Key/ Print or Save PDF/ Write down the Recovery Key ( Only Numbers No Letters )

3. Boot Windows into Recovery Mode
Hold Shift when click Restart

4. Once loaded follow goto
Troubleshoot/ Command Prompt

5. Enter Recovery key when asked

6. Enter Command to Decrypt
Enter: Manage-bde -off C:
( or whichever drive letter it is thats encrypted )

Notes:
To check on Progress type manage-bde -status until encryption status is at 0.00%

Then close CMD with the red X in top right and continue to boot into windows normally