Need help understanding CPU overheating (CORSAIR H80i V2 Cooler)

Corin_Wright

Hey guys, In the last couple of months I have noticed steadily increasing CPU temperatures and steadily increasing fan noises to accompany it. 

It came nearly to a literal boiling point today when after sitting on 85 degrees Celsius for a couple of minutes my PC stopped responding and returned a CPU temperature warning message on reboot. 

Using Armoury Crate to track some temperatures, the CPU temperature was sitting at 85 degrees, with the CPU Package sitting at just over 90 degrees

There were no other alarming temperatures in the other components, with the GPU and Chipset at around 50 degrees and the motherboard at around 36 degrees.

When the CPU is not at 85 degrees it tends to build up to fluctuating between 68-80 degrees, without any obvious reason which correlates to an increase or decrease in temperatute.

The cooler I use is a CORSAIR H80i V2

So far the only action I have taken is to tighten the screws around the cooler to make sure they were firmly in place, but this doesn't seem to have changed much. Neither of the tubes feel particularly warm even when the CPU temperature is high. 

I suppose my next step would be to reapply thermal paste to the set-up, but I wanted some advice on here before I do that. 

If these symptoms point towards something in particular, your advice would be greatly appreciated! 😄 

1 hour ago, Corin_Wright said:

Hey guys, In the last couple of months I have noticed steadily increasing CPU temperatures and steadily increasing fan noises to accompany it. 

It came nearly to a literal boiling point today when after sitting on 85 degrees Celsius for a couple of minutes my PC stopped responding and returned a CPU temperature warning message on reboot. 

Using Armoury Crate to track some temperatures, the CPU temperature was sitting at 85 degrees, with the CPU Package sitting at just over 90 degrees

There were no other alarming temperatures in the other components, with the GPU and Chipset at around 50 degrees and the motherboard at around 36 degrees.

When the CPU is not at 85 degrees it tends to build up to fluctuating between 68-80 degrees, without any obvious reason which correlates to an increase or decrease in temperatute.

The cooler I use is a CORSAIR H80i V2

So far the only action I have taken is to tighten the screws around the cooler to make sure they were firmly in place, but this doesn't seem to have changed much. Neither of the tubes feel particularly warm even when the CPU temperature is high. 

I suppose my next step would be to reapply thermal paste to the set-up, but I wanted some advice on here before I do that. 

If these symptoms point towards something in particular, your advice would be greatly appreciated! 😄 

You say that 'Neither of the tubes feel particularly warm even when the CPU temperature is high'. This is not a good sign at all, this could mean that the fluid is not being pumped around ( one tube should feel quite warm to the touch, at least when the CPU is at 95c ).  I think your pump is broken or loop is clogged.

Agree with @Hinjima.
If neither tubes are warm / hot, and you are seeing 80*C+ (even a CPU temperature warning) then that means the coolant is not circulating.

(I found that out real quick when the water pump in my open loop was starting to fail)

Is any of the monitoring software reporting any RPM / speed for the pump at all?

If it's reading 0 or N/A, that is another indicator that the pump could be acting up.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

45 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Agree with @Hinjima.
If neither tubes are warm / hot, and you are seeing 80*C+ (even a CPU temperature warning) then that means the coolant is not circulating.

(I found that out real quick when the water pump in my open loop was starting to fail)

Is any of the monitoring software reporting any RPM / speed for the pump at all?

If it's reading 0 or N/A, that is another indicator that the pump could be acting up.

Oh damn.. Had that happen myself back in the day with a free AIO I got with my 6600k...It lasted exactly 4 months.  Now its NH-D15 all the way baby 😄 I had an NH-D14 but I was curious about the AIO.  Did you see Greg Salazar's video on the MSI R series AIO recall?

5 hours ago, Hinjima said:

Oh damn.. Had that happen myself back in the day with a free AIO I got with my 6600k...It lasted exactly 4 months.  Now its NH-D15 all the way baby 😄 I had an NH-D14 but I was curious about the AIO.  Did you see Greg Salazar's video on the MSI R series AIO recall?

Yeah I think I watched Greg Salazar's video first to hear about the MSi's failing AIOs, and then it started to blow up in YouTube...and eventually here on LTT.

A couple of LTT forum members starting threads about their CPU overheating using MSi AIOs.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

8 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Agree with @Hinjima.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

On the Corsair Link program, the pump is posting RPM's. Around 2000. 

Is it worth even trying new thermal paste? Or should I just get another one?

8 hours ago, ComradeBard said:

How old is the cooler, when did you last change the thermal paste?

It sounds like the pump might have failed

The pump is 8 years old. I changed the thermal past last year.

3 hours ago, Corin_Wright said:

Replace it. Average lifespan of an AIO pump is 3-5 years ( Can obviously last longer ).  Get a decent air cooler this time, no more changing! 😄

4 hours ago, Corin_Wright said:

Oh that a long time for it to be working (the aio, thermal paste should be completley fine)  Safe to say its the pump

44 minutes ago, Corin_Wright said:

Thanks guys, will follow the advice and replace it 😇

Sounds good! Good luck 😄  You will buy another AIO or air cooler?

On 3/29/2023 at 2:42 PM, Hinjima said:

Get a decent air cooler this time, no more changing! 😄

Agree 100%. Unless you have space restrictions it doesn't really make sense to get a 120x120 AIO, you can get about the same or better performance with an air cooler for the same price, with no pump noise and an easily replaceable fan as the only point of failure 

On 3/29/2023 at 10:53 PM, Hinjima said:

Sounds good! Good luck 😄  You will buy another AIO or air cooler?

So, basically I just replaced it with the same model. If I have to replace it once every 8 years, it´s not the worst thing in the world 😛

I seem to have it installed it alright and it´s now running at a much healthier 37 degrees on the lowest fan setting. I forgot how quiet it was when it´s working properly. 

Many thanks for the help guys. 🙂 

40 minutes ago, Corin_Wright said:

So, basically I just replaced it with the same model. If I have to replace it once every 8 years, it´s not the worst thing in the world 😛

I seem to have it installed it alright and it´s now running at a much healthier 37 degrees on the lowest fan setting. I forgot how quiet it was when it´s working properly. 

Many thanks for the help guys. 🙂 

No Problem, that is why we are here on the Forum 😄  Glad you got it sorted!