New PC build encounters Memory errors and application crashes

Trobleton

I built a new PC recently and I keep running into the same error while playing World of Warcraft. It's an error around referenced memory could not be "read". This issue isn't limited to just World of Warcraft though. Once this error occurs in WoW, Chrome will randomly crash as well as Discord will restart then eventually quit.

My PC configuration is as follows:

CPU: Intel 13900k

Motherboard: Asus ROG b660-i on latest bios 2212

RAM: Corsair CMK32GX5M2A4800C40

GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW3

Storage: 2 m.2 drives, Samsung 980 1tb and 970 1tb

This build is inside the NR200p Max with their provided 850w PSU and AIO. Temps look fine, nothing that would be alarming, 85c is about the highest the CPU gets under load.

What I have attempted:

- ran scan and repair on World of Warcraft

- ran memtest86 to look for memory errors. It passed.

- updated motherboard to latest bios 2212

- reinstalled windows

- ran sfc to scan and repair system issues

- purchased a new set of corsair ram sticks.

- re-seat the cpu and checked for bent pins.

- updated drivers via ASUS website and ASUS Armoury Crate suggestions.

- updated GPU drivers to latest release

- reset BIOS settings to defaults

I know for a fact that my GPU, and Storage should be good as I've been using them in my previous build before and after this build and they continue to operate as expected. I am at a loss though. At this point the only thing I can think of is trying to get an RMA on my Motherboard and/or CPU to see if replacing one or both fixes the issue. Any ideas would be appreciated otherwise I might just go through the RMA process.

Just now, jollypirate said:

Did you try a fresh windows install?

Yes, a few times actually.

image.png.ef36fc7cfc145c437971d781dfe29bd4.png

This is the error I receive when World of Warcraft crashes. Other programs typically do not provide an error message when they crash, they just exit. I have checked Security and Maintenance for the crash logs there, but googling the error codes they provide point me towards replacing Motherboard / CPU / RAM.

Do other games and programs crash too?
Seems like the number one fix for this in wow is downloading new gpu drivers from nvidia, you can try that

4 minutes ago, jollypirate said:

Do other games and programs crash too?
Seems like the number one fix for this in wow is downloading new gpu drivers from nvidia, you can try that

Yes other programs do crash, usually Chrome and Discord as that's what I have open most of the time. I am currently on the latest drivers for NVIDIA 3090 and I have updated system drivers through ASUS' Drivers page for the B660-i Motherboard and their recommendations via ASUS Armoury Crate.

What's weird is sometimes WoW stays stable as long as I don't enter a loading state (`/reload, character change, enter an instance), but Discord will restart / crash. It's probably still the same issue, just doesn't manifest until new items need to be read / written to memory.

Have you tried populating only one of the ram slots?
I dont think you can avoid an RMA here but i found a few more things that might help. Try disabling your antivirus, making the wow folder NOT read only and increase your virtual memory in windows. If none of that works we can at least we can try to figure out which part is messing up. We can rule out the ram since you got fresh sticks, so for starters try runing a disk check to see if that works as it should, if thats fine you can try running just one stick at a time in each slot and see if that changes it 

5 hours ago, ComradeBard said:

Have you tried populating only one of the ram slots?
I dont think you can avoid an RMA here but i found a few more things that might help. Try disabling your antivirus, making the wow folder NOT read only and increase your virtual memory in windows. If none of that works we can at least we can try to figure out which part is messing up. We can rule out the ram since you got fresh sticks, so for starters try runing a disk check to see if that works as it should, if thats fine you can try running just one stick at a time in each slot and see if that changes it 

- ran `chkdsk` and it does return that there is a error(?)

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

However, when I run `chkdsk /scan` it doesn't see any issues.

I have tried increasing my virtual memory; that didn't work.

I haven't tried running a single stick, but at that point, if running single channel fixes it it'll be an RMA anyways.

Interesting, it might be a storage issue then. Try running chkdsk /r first to see if that helps, that might be it.
You can also check the general health of the disk with crsytal disk info, mini partition tool to  scan sectors.
If the ram works in one slot but not the other its more likely the motherboard, in both more likley the cpu. But definetly run chkdsk first and check the health. That might be it, the error can be caused by disk issues

16 hours ago, ComradeBard said:

Try running chkdsk /r first to see if that helps

It did appear to fix the Volume Bitmap is incorrect error, so that's good news. Bad news is that World of Warcraft still experiences the crashing issue. I will be giving the RAM in one slot a shot later this evening. From what I understand it is more than likely the motherboard having issues than the CPU, but I guess we'll find out. Thanks for your help thus far @ComradeBard

TL;DR: Purchased QVL Kingston Fury DDR5 memory for my B660i/B760i Motherboard and that resolved my memory issue.

So over the weekend I swapped my b660i motherboard with a b760i motherboard thinking this was a motherboard issue. Unfortunately the issue persisted and I continued to experience "Memory could not be 'read'" errors with World of Warcraft and applications like Chrome and Discord crashing sporadically. Before going down the RMA route I wanted to try a different set of RAM one more time, but this time by a different provider. This time I purchased Kingston Fury RAM as they are listed as a QVL. So far so good. I went through my typical crash list of attempt to /reload in WoW about 20 times or so while having Chrome and Discord open and I have not experienced a crash yet. I still need to swap back to my b660i board and see if the issue remains resolved, but otherwise I think I can mark this topic as resolved.

And just like that the problem has reoccurred. At this point I am at a loss. This is beyond infuriating. The only thing I haven't changed so far is my M.2 drives and my CPU. Both of my M.2 drives show up as healthy. Using Intel Diagnostic Tool the CPU shows good.

• 2 months later...

Did you ever find a solution to this? I’m in a similar situation right now, and kind of at a loss.