CPU and GPU utilization Low during 1440p gaming

CPU-5900x

GPU-7900xtx - xfx merc

Mobo- Asus Prime x570-p

RAM- T-Force - 32GB (2x 16) @ 3400mhz 

PSU- EVGA Supernova 1300 GT Gold

SSD- Corsair MP600 Pro 2tb m.2

1440p Ultra / Max settings

Hello All, I have a strange issue where in quite a few games my CPU and GPU utilization drops to sub 40-60% max. Two specific examples are in Day Z and Sons of the Forest. Day Z i typically get like 200fps but when i look at specific parts of cities my utilization drops to the above mentioned and my FPS tanks to like 80 and depending on the map 30fps. I have the same issue on Sons of the forest, when i am in caves or in open world on the beach i get 120-140fps  but when i roam in the forest i cant seem to get over 65fps, where i have seen benchmarks of other people with the same setup getting 90-120 in the same areas. With those two examples i am seeing between 40%-80%ish drop in frames compared to similar setups. There are other games this happens in but those are the 2 most recent examples i have. Another example is my wife has my old 6800xt gpu with a 5600x and playing Valheim max settings 1440p (both comps), i literally get 10-20 less frames than her in dense wooded areas, but when we are sailing in the ocean i have 30ish frames more. Not sure what is going on. I recently upgraded from a 6900xt to the 7900xtx and this happened with the 6900xt as well, she was outperforming me in video games.

Is my CPU bad?

Possible bad motherboard?

Memory controller issues?

I have checked to see power draw while running benchmarks and i hit max power draw / utilization on both parts during synthetic benchmarks. sometimes even hitting over 400W on my GPU (standard is 350) so im not sure what the issue is.

Initially My RAM was not set to 3400 and was sitting at 2800 in the bios (doing this helped a bit but only like 10%), I do not have DOCP activated. should i? Do i need faster RAM?

Over 4G etc. is enabled and i am taking advantage of Smart Access Memory.

My GPU and CPU are both just set to automatic overlock in the Radeon dashboard

Edited by ChokolateThunder

5 minutes ago, ChokolateThunder said:

CPU-5900x

GPU-7900xtx - xfx merc

Mobo- Asus Prime x570-p

Hello All, I have a strange issue where in quite a few games my CPU and GPU utilization drops to sub 40-60% max. Two specific examples are in Day Z and Sons of the Forest. Day Z i typically get like 200fps but when i look at specific parts of cities my utilization drops to the above mentioned and my FPS tanks to like 80 and depending on the map 30fps. I have the same issue on Sons of the forest, when i am in caves or in open world on the beach i get 120-140fps  but when i roam in the forest i cant seem to get over 65fps, where i have seen benchmarks of other people with the same setup getting 90-120 in the same areas. With those two examples i am seeing between 40%-80%ish drop in frames compared to similar setups. There are other games this happens in but those are the 2 most recent examples i have. Another example is my wife has my old 6800xt gpu with a 5600x and playing Valheim max settings 1440p (both comps), i literally get 10-20 less frames than her in dense wooded areas, but when we are sailing in the ocean i have 30ish frames more. Not sure what is going on. I recently upgraded from a 6900xt to the 7900xtx and this happened with the 6900xt as well, she was outperforming me in video games.

Is my CPU bad?

I have checked to see power draw while running benchmarks and i hit max power draw / utilization on both parts during synthetic benchmarks. sometimes even hitting over 400W on my GPU (standard is 350) so im not sure what the issue is.

Initially My RAM was not set to 3400 and was sitting at 2800 in the bios (doing this helped a bit but only like 10%), I do not have DOCP activated. should i? Do i need faster RAM?

Fresh install Driver. Radeon drivers have a habit of going wonky (rx 480 has had similar problems before)

8 minutes ago, ChokolateThunder said:

I do not have DOCP activated. should i?

Unless you're leaving the RAM at stock or plan on manually overclocking your RAM, then yes, I would 100% be using DOCP over whatever setting you have manually set. Not sure if that will help with your issues, but won't hurt.

8 minutes ago, ChokolateThunder said:

CPU-5900x

GPU-7900xtx - xfx merc

Mobo- Asus Prime x570-p

Is my CPU bad?

Your 5900x probably performs worse than the 5600x, since unless you've tuned it accordingly, its probably giving extra latency having ot communicate across the infinity fabric unlike the single CCD 5600x.

A lot of these games are poorly optimized, something that the 5800x3d or 7000x3D CPUs and/or a 13900k can handle a lot better. Even at 4K with a 4090 and a 7950x3D, I still run into CPU bottlenecks in these poorly optimized games. Its also the problem of draw calls in games with high player counts, where every player position has to be considered per frame.

Ryzen 5000 really likes 3600MHz CL16/18 RAM as well, worth looking into with how cheap DDR4 is and/or just manually tuning your kit.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

9 minutes ago, Agall said:

Your 5900x probably performs worse than the 5600x, since unless you've tuned it accordingly, its probably giving extra latency having ot communicate across the infinity fabric unlike the single CCD 5600x.

A lot of these games are poorly optimized, something that the 5800x3d or 7000x3D CPUs and/or a 13900k can handle a lot better. Even at 4K with a 4090 and a 7950x3D, I still run into CPU bottlenecks in these poorly optimized games. Its also the problem of draw calls in games with high player counts, where every player position has to be considered per frame.

Ryzen 5000 really likes 3600MHz CL16/18 RAM as well, worth looking into with how cheap DDR4 is and/or just manually tuning your kit.

My buddy has the 7900x and 4080 and was stomping me in frames with the forest, I might be tempted to upgrade to 5800x3d before its no longer available. Thanks for the feedback, i will try to manually set the ram to 3600 and DOCP to see which is better. Do you know if its specifically 3600, or if i am just at that or above?

Edited by ChokolateThunder
Added my question to the end

8 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Fresh install Driver. Radeon drivers have a habit of going wonky (rx 480 has had similar problems before)

will give this a go tonight and let you know if it helps me.

10 minutes ago, ChokolateThunder said:

My buddy has the 7900x and 4080 and was stomping me in frames with the forest, I might be tempted to upgrade to 5800x3d before its no longer available. Thanks for the feedback, i will try to manually set the ram to 3600 and DOCP to see which is better. Do you know if its specifically 3600, or if i am just at that or above?

5800x3D depending might not be worth it over just waiting for the 7800x3D and jumping into AM5. PGA after so many years feels so archaic after I've messed with a few AM5 platforms and obviously Intel's LGA for decades. 

Just something worth considering, the 5800x3D is basically on par with Ryzen 7000 series, where 7000x3D is a jump above that, though not proportionally as good as the 5800x to 5800x3D. 7000x3D being able to clock to 5.5GHz from my experience is quite impressive, especially considering that the 5800x3D is generally a 4.5GHz, maybe 4.7GHz CPU. Ryzen 7000x3D is a good 800MHz faster which does track with 5000 to 7000 gains.

Really it depends on how much you're willing to spend, I generally don't recommend a 5800x3D unless you're running Ryzen 3000 or lower with a quality B550/X570 motherboard and at least a 2x16GB 3200MHz kit, aka a substantial gap for CPU gain with no compromises on the motherboard/RAM. Otherwise, you're better off just jumping into AM5 if you can afford to, otherwise dropping $350 on a obsolescent platform isn't the best value, even if its still good in 2023.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017