Non-QVL RAM running at 2660 instead of 3600

(Please consult my profile for my build.)

Ok, so when I was horribly ignorant (not very long ago - I'm less ignorant now) about current PC tech, I leapt at a great RAM deal that my corporate IT friend (who is pretty ignorant, it turns out, about PC building) pointed out to me. I ordered it (it was over 4000 MHz), and then I canceled it because I noticed that it wasn't on the QVL, and that Patriot even said it probably wouldn't work. So, I replaced that with the Patriot Viper Steel 2x32GB DDR4 3600 CL18 RDIMMs.

It seemed to work just fine. I got a similar kit for my son's computer, which is with an i5-12600k and Asus TG B660-M wifi D4, but it's 2x16GB, and it also seemed to work fine.

But they aren't on the QVL.

Everything seemed fine, but when I had to send in my new XFX GC for a repair (they not only had to send it back to the factory, they sent me another card with the same problem), I relied on my iGPU to satisfy my gaming urges. Fortunately, my nerfed-by-age skills have discouraged me to the point that the urge isn't as strong as it used to be. 😉

Welllll....I was in BIOS and noticed that XML was off. I could have sworn that it was on. I turned it on and loaded up Destiny 2 (no, not in BIOS, smartarse!). It lagged far worse than before I'd turned on XMP (also without the GC).

So, I ran a few programs and, at first, things seemed like it was not a big deal. i mean, my computer runs plenty fast and when I was using my old Toshiba laptop during testing this weekend, I was so grateful for my custom PC. And yet...I finally saw that my frequency was nerfed to 2660 and my CAS latency is 19. Now, I'm a little confused because, looking at the Patriot page, it shows:

• Capacity: 64GB (2 x 32GB)

• Base Frequency: PC4-17000 (2133MHz)

• Base Timings: 15-15-15-36

• Tested Frequency Profile 1: PC4-28800 (3600MHz)

• Tested Timings: 18-22-22-42

Now, I don't know what the base stuff really means in terms of what I should expect, but it seems to me that I should be seeing 3600 MT/s at 1800 MHz (getting this wrong irritates RAM companies), and my CL should be 18. Interestingly, the timings I saw were 19-19-19-42. So, it's better, right? I mean, except for the really bad MT/s. And that is with XML off.

So, I have two options:

1. Grin and bear it.
  2. Buy different RAM and sell off the Patriot stuff.

I haven't looked into what my son's mobo would be happy with, nor have I checked its stats, but I looked at RAM and these are what I came up with (non-RGB cuz I'm about performance, not useless bling). I see no difference between the 3 other than brand, price and appearance. Please advise.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $144.99

Kingston FURY Beast 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $178.77

Kingston FURY Renegade 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $179.99

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

.)

and my CL should be 18. Interestingly, the timings I saw were 19-19-19-42. So, it's better, right? I

Wrong, 19 is worse. Lower is better. Instead of using automatic settings, have you tried to manually adjust the speed and timings?

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Wrong, 19 is worse. Lower is better. Instead of using automatic settings, have you tried to manually adjust the speed and timings?

What I meant is because of the 22s being reducing to 19. If you then average out the first 3 timings (the fourth is irrelevant as it didn't change), the average latency is better with my setup. CL isn't everything.

I haven't tried manual because I don't know how to do it.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Does anyone have any advice?

Help please?

Try manually entering in the XMP parameters and see if that helps at all. There are boards and BIOS revisions where XMP is bugged out, plus IIRC there are some Patriot kits out there with XMP profiles with screwed up sub-timings that give worse performance than JEDEC, so that's possibly what's going on here. Enter in the Frequency, Voltage, and primary timings in manually, and see if that works. 

4 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Try manually entering in the XMP parameters and see if that helps at all. There are boards and BIOS revisions where XMP is bugged out, plus IIRC there are some Patriot kits out there with XMP profiles with screwed up sub-timings that give worse performance than JEDEC, so that's possibly what's going on here. Enter in the Frequency, Voltage, and primary timings in manually, and see if that works. 

Ok, I'll see if I can figure that out later. I did manage to manually enter in the frequency and got it up to 3590.