New PC only POSTs half the time

Go to solution Solved by Tita,

Finally after many many days, I can safely say that this issue has been fixed. It seems that updating the Bios with the latest update (released like a week ago, version 1405), did the trick and now my PC posts on the first try and under 10s.

Thank you ComradeBard  for helping me. I really appreciate it!

Thread title: New PC only POSTs half the time
Hi, I built a brand new PC two weeks ago and it works but half the time there is no POST. The other half it takes 30-40s to POST. It works perfectly fine once it does POST.

My specs are:

• Windows 11 Pro
  • ASUS PRIME B650M-A, BIOS version 3.5 (02/24/2023)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core Processor, 4701 MHz
  • 2 x KINGSTON DDR5 FURY BEAST BLACK EXPO 8GB 5200MT/S CL36 DIMM
  • MSI GEFORCE RTX 4070 TI VENTUS 3X 12G OC
  • SAMSUNG SSD 980 1TB M.2 PCIE 3.0 X4 NVME
  • BE QUIET! SHADOW ROCK 3 WHITE
  • SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TO BLUE (slightly dated)
  • CORSAIR ALIM ENTHUSIAST SERIES TX850

First time turning it on, it took 40s to POST and everything worked fine, I installed Windows and updated all the drivers. I didn't use it much the first week, but during the first gaming session, it crashed (during a Genshin Impact game) and I had several BSODs. I then updated the BIOS, made sure I had all the drivers updated, installed all the optional Windows updates. I also changed the EXPO profile of the RAM to 5200 mHz. Since then, no more crashs or BSOD at all, but the PC only does POST half the time and takes 30-40s when it does. I then took out the RAM sticks and put them properly in again. I tried only putting one and then only the other and it all seems to work the same. I even ran MemTest64 for 90 minutes and it didn't find any errors.

I don't know what else I could do at this point, do you have any ideas?

Thanks for your time,

Tita

Hi, thanks for your reply.

All I can see is that the PC is turned on (fans turning, light on and all) but it does not POST. It doesn't restart either.

Any light on the motherboard while its doing that? (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1047023_) You can check what the problem is with that.
It sounds like your motherboard is having trouble starting something up and cant do it all the time. Since messing with your ram setting helped and if i understand right using one memory stick solves the problems try to update the bios, the two new revision asus has (one beta) both feature ram compatibility updates.

I checked the motherboard again and I see no lights on it. As for the led next to the power button, when the PC turns on but doesn't POST, there's no light at all there.

I'll check that beta version of the bios though, since it didn't exist when I updated the bios, thank you for the info!

So, I updated the bios to the 1224 version (not the beta one, the previous one). I had to change the memory frequency back to 5200 MHz though since it automatically reverted to 4800. I haven't seen any changes so far (PC didn't POST the first time after the bios update but was working fine once it did POST when I turned it on a second time), I'll see when I'll turn it on tomorrow evening how it does. I'll keep you posted. If this still hasn't fixed the issue, I'll see about getting that beta version of the bios. Thanks for your help!

Hi, after using the PC for a few days, the issue remains. PC doesn't POST the first time I turn it on, but it does POST the second time, after about 30-40s. This happens 90% of the time now instead of 50%.

I'm not sure what else I could try at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after many many days, I can safely say that this issue has been fixed. It seems that updating the Bios with the latest update (released like a week ago, version 1405), did the trick and now my PC posts on the first try and under 10s.

Thank you ComradeBard  for helping me. I really appreciate it!