Help! Windows won't install to new SSD

ElDingo

Hi! I was tasked to upgrade my brothers old PC, and have been struggling with the windows install to the new SSD, i have been troubleshooting this for a couple of hours now and i have ran out of things to try and really have no where else to go.

I bought a Kingston A400 as a new boot drive with the intention being  to copy his old HDD to his new SSD and call it a day, but there was an issue, i was not allowed to copy over the drive because the new one had less space than the old one, i did a bunch of reaserch and did not find a solution, i tried out playing a bit with the partitions and so on but to no avail. So i just acceptet that i would probably have to do a clean install instead.

Now onto my next issue, which was windows refusing to install. For some unclear reason windows either rejects the drive outright, or when i switched the drives format to mbr, now starts the installation process, creates the neccecary paritions, but then can't boot from the new drive! I really feel like I am going insane. I know that the drive works because when trying to copy the old windows install in my first attempt, it would read and write with no issues. I tried every single diskpart method i could find online, here are two of the guides i referenced, https://windowsreport.com/cant-install-windows-10-ssd/ , https://www.diskpart.com/articles/windows-wont-install-on-ssd-4348i.html , please help!

Well, it is very simple, your system is not properly configured.

UEFI can only interact with drives that is formatted as GPT.

BIOS can only interact with drive that is formatted as MBR.

If CSM is enabled OR "UEFI mode" (if you have that option) is set to Disabled or Legacy, then the system emulates the old BIOS system.

As I don't know anything about your brother computer, I cannot help you further.

All I can say, is ensure that your UEFI is setup properly, refer to the motherboard manual. And then in Windows Setup, delete all partitions via the GUI, and let Windows Setup take care of creating everything. 

A UEFI based system should be properly configured.

• CSM disabled (unless you have hardware that don't support UEFI based systems, such as an old graphics card, Example: GeForce 600 series where the vBIOS was never updated to support UEFI setup or the manufacture never issued one to update to).
  • UEFI mode enabled (if you have that option)
  • XMP/D.O.C.P set to Enabled/Profile 1 (if multiple profile exists, pick the one that matches the RAM)
  • Fast Boot Enabled
  • Global C-state (or something along those lines, such as: "C3" and/or "C6") enabled
  • SecureBoot enabled
  • TPM/fTPM enabled